Toasties!

Don
Hi all,

Firstly, can someone recommend a good toastie maker? Nothing industrial standard, just good enough for daily use? I got one not so long ago to replace my ageing jobby, the new one had lots of great reviews, but it spits out of the side a toastie containing a cracked egg and 10g of cheddar, surely there are better ones that can keep the contents within the bread? It just seems a crap design.

Also, post your recipes? I have one daily ever since WFH, they're great!

Soldato
Depends whether you want a Jaffle as the Aussies call them where the edges of the bread seal around the filling, or a "grilled Cheese" style sandwich as the Americans call em, which is open sided.

Haven't had one of the former style since I was a kid, I either use a George Forman grill or a heavy set frying pan to make mine.

Man of Honour
All the cheap and/or mainstream ones are pretty rubbish TBH either seem to have been designed poorly so don't fit the bread well or last about a month before going pop.

I've been using a cheapy Quest 35129 which seems the best of a bad job when it comes to the mainstream stuff but still get a bit of overhanging.

Man of Honour
Picked up a dirt cheap waffle/grill/toastie maker a couple of weeks ago. Has removable plates to change what you're cooking. Just been using the grill ones for toasties. Works perfectly well.

Doing waffles this weekend. :D

Soldato
I bought this back in 2013 https://www.amazon.co.uk/Russell-Ho...&sprefix=Russell+hobbs+toastie,aps,160&sr=8-2 although its been in the cupboard for a while. There are some scorch marks where toasties will now stick to briefly but a spatula with soon remove that. Might have to give it some usage again to see how well it still works or not!

Soldato
Favreaus sandwich looks good, albeit calorific,
currently don't have a gas hob though for the BTU's, he's getting some significant heat into it to melt the cheese - where can you get that plate

For contact grill, removsable plates is essential - used to like (molten) jam sandwiches, or mincemeat, ham+branston -
used a tefal like black friday offer https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tefal-Ultracompact-GC308840-Versatile-Portions/dp/B08B49FZRZ

edit: cuisinart waffle make i have can have sandwich plates, which would be a nice combo, but bread size would be limited

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom