Today's mass shooting in the US

Commissario
Which state are you talking about?

You have only 3 to chose from.
I'll wait.

Talking rubbish.

"Ricardo Hernandez faces three hate-crime charges after allegedly trying to shove an Asian undercover cop onto Queens subway tracks. He was released Sunday as Justice Louis Nock explained, “My hands are tied because under the new bail rules, I have absolutely no authority or power to set bail on this defendant for this alleged offense.” That is indeed the law: no injury, no bail."

"You know New York has a problem when even Mayor Bill de Blasio admits it. On Thursday the New York Police Department held a press conference to report that major crime is up 22.5% this February over a year ago. Both the cops and the mayor attribute the spike to the bail reform pushed through the state Legislature in Albany last year, which is releasing people who have been arrested for one crime to go out and commit another.

“There’s a direct correlation to a change in the law, and we need to address it, and we will address it,” Mr. de Blasio said of the increase in crime. The mayor also said he was “absolutely confident” it will be addressed in Albany in the budget due April 1."

There's shed loads of these scum
I like the way you quote from a different article to the one yo0u posted.

Man of Honour
Tell her that Deuse said "Get your own home(NY) in order first" :)

I reiterate, my NYC friend is not unduly exercised about U.S. gun laws, be they in NY or south of the Mason-Dixon Line, she is concerned about about both Texas and Mississippi abortion legislation, it would appear that her state has a more liberal attitude;

The Reproductive Health Act is a New York statute enacted on January 22, 2019, that expanded abortion rights, decriminalized abortion, and eliminated several restrictions on abortion in the state. It acknowledged the importance of comprehensive reproductive health care.

Soldato
I reiterate, my NYC friend is not unduly exercised about U.S. gun laws, be they in NY or south of the Mason-Dixon Line, she is concerned about about both Texas and Mississippi abortion legislation, it would appear that her state has a more liberal attitude;

The Reproductive Health Act is a New York statute enacted on January 22, 2019, that expanded abortion rights, decriminalized abortion, and eliminated several restrictions on abortion in the state. It acknowledged the importance of comprehensive reproductive health care.

True.

A more liberal attitude to letting people kill each other and letting them go with no bail.
Letting blacks beat up asian women.
Oh and made nurses that came to NY city to help pay even more tax.

It's gone back to a poop hole. And that's being nice.

Man of Honour
True.

A more liberal attitude to letting people kill each other and letting them go with no bail.
Letting blacks beat up asian women.
Oh and made nurses that came to NY city to help pay even more tax.

It's gone back to a poop hole. And that's being nice.

deuse, you’re not dumb, that’s obvious from your posting history, but it was patently obvious that when I and my NYC friend said that her state had a more liberal attitude, we were talking about abortion, and women’s rights.
Not unreasonably, you’re bent out of shape about the judicial system in NY, regarding bail etc. etc.
I’ve told you a couple of times now that my friend is only ticked off about women’s rights, or lack of them in Texas, and although she may not agree with the bail/no bail stuff in New York State, the abortion thing is her main concern.
She may be an officer of the court, but she’s not about to picket the Governor’s mansion in Albany, so you’re wasting your time telling her to get New York’s house in order first.

Soldato
deuse, you’re not dumb, that’s obvious from your posting history, but it was patently obvious that when I and my NYC friend said that her state had a more liberal attitude, we were talking about abortion, and women’s rights.
Not unreasonably, you’re bent out of shape about the judicial system in NY, regarding bail etc. etc.
I’ve told you a couple of times now that my friend is only ticked off about women’s rights, or lack of them in Texas, and although she may not agree with the bail/no bail stuff in New York State, the abortion thing is her main concern.
She may be an officer of the court, but she’s not about to picket the Governor’s mansion in Albany, so you’re wasting your time telling her to get New York’s house in order first.

Your friend moans about another state and their law.
And how bad it is to her.

She forgets that a lot of catholic mexicans now live in Texas.
The new law means a lot to them.

I bet she is pro choice.

Bacteria is life on Mars, but a heartbeat isn’t life on earth... weird :)

Man of Honour
Your friend moans about another state and their law.
And how bad it is to her.

She forgets that a lot of catholic mexicans now live in Texas.
The new law means a lot to them.

I bet she is pro choice.

Bacteria is life on Mars, but a heartbeat isn’t life on earth... weird :)

She wasn’t “moaning” about anything, she was commenting that the Texas abortion legislation is a bad law for women in her opinion.
Of course she is pro choice, she’s an educated child of the sixties, and a registered Democrat.
It might be better to terminate, (no pun intended), our debate on this, good luck, over and out, J-F.

Soldato
I've never understood the pro gun argument for "good guy with a gun". All you have to do is compare how many times someone has successfully prevented a home invasion, mass killer etc. against things like accidental shootings, kids picking up guns and taking them to school, impulsive suicides etc. The numbers just don't stack up. Accidental shootings at home figures on their own are pretty shocking.

Accidental shootings by kids happen almost daily

Everytown has been tracking unintentional shootings by kids for six years. Cases of young children taking hold of a gun and mistakenly shooting themselves, a friend, or a family member happen almost every single day.

There were at least 2,070 unintentional shootings by children, resulting in 765 deaths from 2015 to 2020, according to the group's research.

Forty-four percent of U.S. adults say they live in a household with a gun, including about a third who say they personally own one, according to a Gallup survey conducted in October 2020.

Source:
https://text.npr.org/1032725392

Soldato
I've never understood the pro gun argument for "good guy with a gun". All you have to do is compare how many times someone has successfully prevented a home invasion, mass killer etc. against things like accidental shootings, kids picking up guns and taking them to school, impulsive suicides etc. The numbers just don't stack up. Accidental shootings at home figures on their own are pretty shocking.
Firearms are used defensively around 100,000 per year in the US, that's the conservative number, over a million is also cited depending on your source.

Soldato
Firearms are used defensively around 100,000 per year in the US, that's the conservative number, over a million is also cited depending on your source.

Do you have a source for that?

I'm genuinely interested, as the home defence argument is often put forward, but numbers are rarely, if ever, provided.

I'm not doing this in a "LINK OR IT NEVAR HAPOENED" spirit- I'd like to know how that can be measured. I'm guessing it is from reported crimes, but would like to know.

Soldato
Do you have a source for that?

I'm genuinely interested, as the home defence argument is often put forward, but numbers are rarely, if ever, provided.

I'm not doing this in a "LINK OR IT NEVAR HAPOENED" spirit- I'd like to know how that can be measured. I'm guessing it is from reported crimes, but would like to know.
https://www.cdc.gov/violenceprevention/firearms/fastfact.html

http://scholarlycommons.law.northwestern.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=6938&context=jclc
The above puts it at 256,500-373,000.

But as you have eluded to, it's complicated because of a lack of actual statistics on the issue, lots of it isn't reported.

Soldato
Its well known that gun owners are more likely to shoot a family member than an intruder. It's just not a good argument.

Yeah but that just means that guns are more likely to be used in domestic violence situations than against an intruder, I'm sure there's a lot more instances of domestic violence than there is home invasions, probably like more than 20x as many, there's probably also a high amount of domestic violence involving stabbings and other forms of violence

Soldato
Yeah but that just means that guns are more likely to be used in domestic violence situations than against an intruder, I'm sure there's a lot more instances of domestic violence than there is home invasions, probably like more than 20x as many, there's probably also a high amount of domestic violence involving stabbings and other forms of violence
Okay but surely that's not a good argument for gun ownership either? If guns are off the table for domestic situations then that's better for everyone no?

Soldato
Okay but surely that's not a good argument for gun ownership either? If guns are off the table for domestic situations then that's better for everyone no?

The argument is that an individual has the right to bear arms, that's it. My view is that just because some morons use weapons illegally it doesn't mean another person shouldn't have the ability to defend themselves in their own home against a potentially armed intruder. America is a large place and Police aren't always a couple of minutes away, people in America can be armed and dangerous, there's way more of a hardcore drug culture involving substances like Meth that just makes people go crazy. If I lived in America I'd be definitely have a gun at home, you'd be mad not to unless you lived in a secure gated community.

Soldato
The argument is that an individual has the right to bear arms, that's it. My view is that just because some morons use weapons illegally it doesn't mean another person shouldn't have the ability to defend themselves in their own home against a potentially armed intruder. America is a large place and Police aren't always a couple of minutes away, people in America can be armed and dangerous, there's way more of a hardcore drug culture involving substances like Meth that just makes people go crazy. If I lived in America I'd be definitely have a gun at home, you'd be mad not to unless you lived in a secure gated community.
There's clearly a huge misalignment between what US citizens should be able to do and how it manifests in reality. I'm not completely against the idea of owning a gun in a remote area of the US, but its hard to ignore what the 2nd amendment has caused and is still causing today.

No other 1st world country has a problem of this scale but it's an almost pointless task trying to convince Americans that something needs to change. It's too culturally ingrained now and the horse has long since bolted.

Back
Top Bottom