Today's mass shooting in the US

SPG

SPG

Soldato
No, it hasn't been twisted. It being "nonsense" is your opinion, not shared by everyone

Yes it is nonsense, Standard Fat Joe has ZERO chance a government ZERO... Hence nonsense, opinion doesnt even come into it.

Lets forget about guns for the moment.... Does the average Joe have suitable supply lines
Self defence from anyone, and a lot of firearms in the US are semi auto. If 4 people turn up for a home invasion with semi autos and you've got a bolt action, you're in trouble.

As for the forest, last time I was there I saw about 7 of them, would have been a lot easier to kill them with a semi auto rather than bolt action. Year after year the population explodes, the conclusion some in the US have made is that semi-autos are better for boar.

Everything is open to debate.

Oh I didn't realise home invasions with armed raiders is a big thing.

The people semi auto or Automatic weapons is the armed forces and possibly the police.

Soldato
They successfully fought for their land against the British, that's the basis for the Second Amendment. Most of the military are themselves pro-gun, they are less likely to shoot their own people, so no they wouldn't get obliterated in minutes.

Successfully due to massive french involvement and their navy's major victory at the battle of Chesapeake bay.

The militias did very little in the grand scheme of things it was the continental army that did the major fighting, a force also equiped by France.

One can't overestimate how much of a role France played in the American victory, the myth of the American militia was invented as a way of saving money after independence on a full time professional army, let them arm themselves, far cheaper when you are broke.

Don
If Americans are so obsessed with owning a gun, then why can't they change the laws so its just a pistol they can own, why do they need assault rifles.
You're not going to go hunting with a pistol.
Also, can I just clear up something. Americans are not allowed assault rifles. The definition of an assault rifle is a rifle of intermediate calibre that is select-fire and has a detachable magazine. Americans are only allowed semi-automatic rifles (other than those that have been grandfathered in from old legislation or those that are C&R), not fully automatic and thus the guns that look like military assault rifles are in fact just rifles, not assault rifles.

Soldato
Successfully due to massive french involvement and their navy's major victory at the battle of Chesapeake bay.

The militias did very little in the grand scheme of things it was the continental army that did the major fighting, a force also equiped by France.

One can't overestimate how much of a role France played in the American victory, the myth of the American militia was invented as a way of saving money after independence on a full time professional army, let them arm themselves, far cheaper when you are broke.
The whole French thing is what I use to reverse-rib my US buddies when they try to rib me LOL.

Anyway.... it means nothing really. It's in the constitution. It will take both major parties actually giving a **** about people in order for the situation to change. The only time I ever personally considered a handgun, was during the BLM protests due to idiots attacking people.

Caporegime
Also, can I just clear up something. Americans are not allowed assault rifles. The definition of an assault rifle is a rifle of intermediate calibre that is select-fire and has a detachable magazine. Americans are only allowed semi-automatic rifles (other than those that have been grandfathered in from old legislation or those that are C&R), not fully automatic and thus the guns that look like military assault rifles are in fact just rifles, not assault rifles.

Easily modified to increase rate of fire though. Although yes, not to the rate of full auto.

Caporegime

The American draw. It wasn't a victory, Britain kept the north!

Soldato

You can actually legally own an automatic firearm, but there are some caveats, and it's not easy. Generally speaking, semi-auto is the rule though as you say.

Soldato
Is it Video Games o'clock yet on the standard timeline of post school shooting US politicians soundbite checklist, or are they skipping it for this one?

Don
You can actually legally own an automatic firearm, but there are some caveats, and it's not easy. Generally speaking, semi-auto is the rule though as you say.
Yes, you have to be registered as a dealer (lots of hoops to jump through and expensive) and buy dealer sample items, or have an NFA registered item (very, very, expensive at auction).

Don
Assault weapons ARE banned in 8 US states. Unfortunately not Texas and the 41 others.
Yes they are. You cannot buy a select fire rifle anywhere in the united states, new from a dealer as a private individual.
They look like assault rifles but they are semi automatic only and thus are rifles not assault rifles.

It's analogous to buying a Ford Focus RS, which looks like the BTCC racing Focus but is lacking the race engine and tyres. Still a fast car but not the same car as the racing version. The same goes for the AR-15 you can buy in a gun store and the M16 which is the military version that is select fire.

Associate
Assault weapons ARE banned in 8 US states. Unfortunately not Texas and the 41 others.
I don't really think the lack of full auto helps, soldiers rarely use that mode except when you're jumping into an enemy trench. You mostly miss, it burns through ammo and is more likely to cause a stoppage - I wonder if having this mode availabe could actually reduce casualties.

Soldato
While true, it's a bit semantic, especially as I think his point is equally valid when considering other characteristics over than just select fire capability. I would have thought that in the hands of a disciplined shooter, an assault rifle would be used predominantly in single shot anyway, so the inability of the civilian version to be used in full-auto still seems a bit of a moot point - it still seems a bit overkill for personal/home defence.

However...I visited the US in 2016, and went to an indoor range (Las Vegas). Fired both an M4A1 and AKM, and I'm pretty sure I remember being able to shoot them in full auto. Is the legislation different for commercial ventures like shooting ranges?

EDIT: Think you might have already answered this while I was posting.

Soldato
Yep I was told this earlier, don’t they or can’t they have some stricter law who can own these rifles, such as people who go hunting, it seems any average joe can buy a rifle just so they can defend themselves from home invasion, seems like it’s a common thing other there going by some comments.

Don
However...I visited the US in 2016, and went to an indoor range (Las Vegas). Fired both an M4A1 and AKM, and I'm pretty sure I remember being able to shoot them in full auto. Is the legislation different for commercial ventures like shooting ranges?
Yes, if they have NFA registered arms that were imported before 1984 I think and grandfathered in to the legislation. Or they could be a registered dealer and they are dealer-sample items.

And yes, I am arguing semantics but it annoys me when things are not called whet they are and are instead called something else in order to illicit an emotional response.

By the way, I am pro gun but I am also pro strict gun control. Firearms should not be as easy to procure as they are in the US. There should be strict requirements on ownership with mental health assessments and proof of need / proof of competency.

Soldato
I used to think that banning guns would solve the problem, but my opinion has changed over the years. I think some strong legislation around some of the semi-automatic weapons such as AR-15s and the like, would do a lot of good, but I don't think it would really solve the problem.

You only have to look at other countries with strong gun cultures like Switzerland and Israel to see that guns aren't the problem.

Soldato
Yes, if they have NFA registered arms that were imported before 1984 I think and grandfathered in to the legislation. Or they could be a registered dealer and they are dealer-sample items.

And yes, I am arguing semantics but it annoys me when things are not called whet they are and are instead called something else in order to illicit an emotional response.

By the way, I am pro gun but I am also pro strict gun control. Firearms should not be as easy to procure as they are in the US.
Got it. I'm vaguely similar. Can understand the desire to own guns, but not the complete rejection of control.
I'm interested in guns, I've found them incredibly good fun to use on the occasions I've got to, but I'm still happy living in a country where they're not readily available.

Back
Top Bottom