Today's mass shooting in the US

Soldato
*Texas Gov. Abbott: Border Patrol Officer Shot and Killed Uvalde Shooter in Classroom
*Texas Gov. Abbott: No Criminal History Identified yet for Uvalde School Gunman
*Texas Gov. Abbott: There Was No Known Mental Health History for Gunman
*Texas Gov. Abbott: Gunman Posted on Social Media 30 Minutes Before Shooting Saying He Was Going to Shoot His Grandmother
*Texas Gov. Abbott: 3 Law Enforcement Officers Were Injured
*Texas Gov. Abbott: Deputy Sheriff Lost a Daughter in the School Shooting
*Texas Gov. Abbott: Gunman Also Made Social Media Post Saying ‘I Shot My Grandmother’ and ‘I Am Going to Shoot an Elementary School’
*Texas Gov. Abbott: No Other Warnings Were Made Other Than the Facebook Posts
*Texas Gov. Abbott: Was Disrupted by Heckler Accusing Him of Doing Nothing on Gun Crime — Live TV
*Heckler Who Accused Texas Gov. Abbott of Doing Nothing on Gun Crime Was Democratic Nominee for Governor Beto O’rourke

~Headlines from 18:35 - 18:55 BST today.

Must be social media's fault.

Today I head an interesting stat on the States:

215 shootings, five months. Two. Hundred. And. Fifteen. :shock:

But you can do the same with a car or a knife right...

Also why you all making this political. What has murder, gun crime and gun laws have to do with politics.

Soldato
Also why you all making this political. What has murder, gun crime and gun laws have to do with politics.

It's beyond politics, it's down to greed, soooo much money is made in the States from guns and the associated gubbins until that's not the driving force nothing will change.
Then you also get the nutters going on about how the second amendment protecting people's guns stops gun crime and don't dare take their guns off of them etc its all a mess..

Soldato
Could Facebook not create detection for picking up stuff like that and automatically alerting the Police, then the necessary authorities can decide on what to do I appreciate this was 30 minute window though.

It just banned my friend for meme he posted years ago clearly have detection system in place.

Soldato
It's beyond politics, it's down to greed, soooo much money is made in the States from guns and the associated gubbins until that's not the driving force nothing will change.
Then you also get the nutters going on about how the second amendment protecting people's guns stops gun crime and don't dare take their guns off of them etc its all a mess..

Let's attack the 1st amendment instead. Regulate and ban Facebook and Twitter. They are evil. All their fault. Video games as well. Oh yeh immigrants should have all their rights removed.

Soldato
Something which amazes me - there is a firearms amnesty in my area until the end of the month and they have pictures of what was handed in when they ran it last year - amongst the usual tat of broken starting pistols, air rifles and "zip guns", etc. was a fully automatic, apparently fully functional, Uzi type gun (I couldn't identify specific make/model from the picture) and a pair of 1911s.

When they ran it back in 2017 or 18 there was several assault rifle type weapons, etc. including an AK47 type rifle.
Whilst they may have been real, I suspect they were replica, airsoft or deactivated. The reporting done on this types of things is incredibly poor because most people don't really understand the terminology. "An UZI handed into the police" for example doesn't mean it actually fires. But I would be interested if this is available as a link?

Today I head an interesting stat on the States:

215 shootings, five months. Two. Hundred. And. Fifteen. :shock:
Most of these are gang related, as are most of the firearm homicides in the U.S, that's why you don't hear about them and why that number seems so shocking.

Soldato

If you disarm the populace the criminals will still get guns so you will have a spike in crime. Burglaries are relatively low in the US but I’d imagine they’d increase a lot if there was no prospect the homeowner would be armed.

I don’t ascribe it to greed but you’re right there are a lot of jobs in the firearms industry and related sectors. Which politician is going to vote to make them unemployed?

Caporegime
If you disarm the populace the criminals will still get guns so you will have a spike in crime. Burglaries are relatively low in the US but I’d imagine they’d increase a lot if there was no prospect the homeowner would be armed.

I don’t ascribe it to greed but you’re right there are a lot of jobs in the firearms industry and related sectors. Which politician is going to vote to make them unemployed?
One that doesn't like kids being killed.

Soldato

It would be terrible if a few more TVs got stolen and less kids were shot.

Soldato
Must be social media's fault.

But you can do the same with a car or a knife right...

Hahahaha

Are you for real?

Most of the reason nothing ever gets changed is because of the extreme politics that exist in America, the partisan nature of it.
One of zero compromise on certain things which allow nothing to ever be done.
Then another schools hooting happens que thoughts and prayers, nothing happens again.

Rinse repeat.

There is only one party that is completely obstructionist.

Soldato
One that doesn't like kids being killed.

It would be terrible if a few more TVs got stolen and less kids were shot.

Of course you’re right. I still don’t think that much will change. I believe a constitutional amendment requires a super-majority in the House and Senate so an uphill struggle.

Individual states could introduce restrictions but would be open to legal challenge as being unconstitutional.

Back
Top Bottom