• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

todays price hike on 30 series stuff?

Caporegime
Exactly this. If the shop and manufacturer start playing silly games then you have your consumer rights and a credit card company to deal with you.

In other news, your new car warranty is void if you only drive on the Motorway at 70mph and your TV warranty is void if you leave it on 24/7 ;)
More like, if you use your saloon car to try to tow a 20 ton truck around, and your car breaks, good luck claiming on the insurance.

It's perfectly normal for stuff you buy to have "acceptable use" / operational limits.

OcUK Staff
Gibbo was right about the 3060 pricing, our cost price on the second batch is already $30-40 higher & that's in the matter of ten days.

Frankly, we're both sick of it. He's mostly sick about having to constantly change pricing but for me the biggest irritation is being blamed for the hikes. For 3090 our cost prices have gone up by hundreds of pounds since launch. We can't exactly NOT pass that on, we already are losing money on cards & systems ordered early on because we are doing what we can to honour purchase prices even if our partners aren't.

Gibbo's moaning at Nvidia but I'm not sure that there's anything that they can legally do if the board partners want to make more money on a limited supply product. Some are worse than others so we can tell that it's not purely a manufacturing cost increase.

Usually, a typical Nvidia card price breaks down as 50-70% profit for Nvidia (their financial statements are public if you wish to check), 10-20% for the board partner, 5-10% for the distributor, 5-12% for the reseller.
It's fair to say that nobody is sticking to that at the moment but the resellers are definitely not responsible for the majority of the price moves.

This!

Some of the 3090's have increased by nearly $500 from the AIB, distributors also no doubt making higher margins. Of course were also not listing products at 5-12%, because supply and demand, were hovering around 20% but in reflection of that we are shipping backorders at -20% to -30% because the partners refuse to help.

I question how a 3090 can increase by over $500 because I am pretty sure manufacturing cost simply cannot increase by this amount and its not because of shipping cost as those are added afterwards which are now 5-10x more expensive.

As such we are protecting ourselves, anything we sell today on pre-order when we allow or we over sell may not come in until next month and the price could hike up another $100-200.

As such buy if you need to buy, otherwise try to grab FE cards or wait until next year when this madness is hopefully over.

I suspect most bigger resellers will have around 500x 3060 for launch, but at same time I expect them to all sell out within a couple of minutes.

BTC is causing major problems and BTC farms are getting their professional miners delivered on time or ahead of scheduled yet us resellers are being drip fed pathetic quantities, we don't even really get more than 2% of what we request. 10% be nice but its not even that!

Pet Northerner
Don
Gibbo was right about the 3060 pricing, our cost price on the second batch is already $30-40 higher & that's in the matter of ten days.

Frankly, we're both sick of it. He's mostly sick about having to constantly change pricing but for me the biggest irritation is being blamed for the hikes. For 3090 our cost prices have gone up by hundreds of pounds since launch. We can't exactly NOT pass that on, we already are losing money on cards & systems ordered early on because we are doing what we can to honour purchase prices even if our partners aren't.

Gibbo's moaning at Nvidia but I'm not sure that there's anything that they can legally do if the board partners want to make more money on a limited supply product. Some are worse than others so we can tell that it's not purely a manufacturing cost increase.

Usually, a typical Nvidia card price breaks down as 50-70% profit for Nvidia (their financial statements are public if you wish to check), 10-20% for the board partner, 5-10% for the distributor, 5-12% for the reseller.
It's fair to say that nobody is sticking to that at the moment but the resellers are definitely not responsible for the majority of the price moves.

I think the biggest problem etailers are facing is the apples to oranges comaparison being thrown around about consoles. Where is seems Sony and Microsoft are not putting up prices (and eaching increased fabrication / shipping costs) and are forcing sellers to not take a bigger cut. That being said the console margins are not hardware, they make it all back and more on a lifespan of games sales - Nvidia don't have that.

This simplistic look at retail and how sourcing, sales and long term strategies of large companies does no one any favours and I do feel sorry for the staff to frankly get abused by people because they are the last link in the chain.

Soldato
More like, if you use your saloon car to try to tow a 20 ton truck around, and your car breaks, good luck claiming on the insurance.

It's perfectly normal for stuff you buy to have "acceptable use" / operational limits.

The card is setup for an operational limit so if you run it at that, then that's exactly what it is designed for, safety factors will be built in. If you do all sorts of BIOS modding, volt modding and other crap, let it run hot, then that's a completely different kettle of fish (and quite silly!).

If a saloon car is rated for a towing capacity and you tow that capacity all the time, then it is designed to handle it and should be fine. Any issues won't be down to insurance, it'll be with the manufacturer warranty.

Soldato
The easy way to judge if the truth is being told about MSRP's going up is monitor the prices from the UK largest high street electrical retailer, as they sell at MSRP and no higher. So when you see their prices go up then the cost price has gone up. ;)

Permabanned
I'm interested in hearing what more people think of the jump, I was really skeptical but I'm loving it
I have no problem gaming on consoles I’m one of those weirdos that actually prefers using control pads rather than kb+m. But I also do love my pc and would rather have a pc than a console but I’m not willing to be bent over for the privilege full stop.

I will be buying a PS5 but I do not feel the need to buy one right now. I’m not someone that buys games on release day anyway so by the time I get one there should plenty of decent games to play.

Caporegime
The card is setup for an operational limit so if you run it at that, then that's exactly what it is designed for, safety factors will be built in. If you do all sorts of BIOS modding, volt modding and other crap, let it run hot, then that's a completely different kettle of fish (and quite silly!).

If a saloon car is rated for a towing capacity and you tow that capacity all the time, then it is designed to handle it and should be fine. Any issues won't be down to insurance, it'll be with the manufacturer warranty.
Several manufacturers have already said their cards are not designed for 24/7 mining.

Isn't that clear enough?

e: Top result from Google, there are others

Inno3D Warns that mining can break Warranty on their GPUs (guru3d.com)

Permabanned
I very much doubt they're anything like as exposed to price fluctuations.
Maybe but like the others they are in the business of making money and right now everyone has an easy excuse to be upping prices.
Sony could easily add 50% on top and still sell everything they have. They need to praised for not jumping on the bandwagon.

Associate

"Demand for GeForce RTX 30 Series GPUs is incredible. NVIDIA RTX has started a major upgrade cycle as gamers jump to raytracing, DLSS and AI"

Gamers haven't had the chance of trying any of their raytracing ****. We can't even buy one... that makes clear that all this "prices are skyrocketing" is just ********, and all this only mean more profits for manufacturers, and scalpers.

I hope Intel take note of this and get into the game again, we definitively need it.

Soldato
Several manufacturers have already said their cards are not designed for 24/7 mining.

Isn't that clear enough?

e: Top result from Google, there are others

Inno3D Warns that mining can break Warranty on their GPUs (guru3d.com)

Wow imagine a manufacturer using an excuse to try and get out of a warranty claim for someone mining 1 card or a couple :rolleyes: I wonder if they use that excuse on large editing or special effects companies where the cards are hit far harder hour after hour or data centres. Funny that these same companies are selling their cards directly to the farms by the pallet load.

Edit: That article is from 2017. And in it they point out it isn't possible for the manufacture to know if the card has been mined.

Last edited:
Soldato
The AMD Ryzen 5 Pro 4650G has been a great product if you can't get hold of a decent GPU and you want to build a new system, it's just that you need to be semi resourceful to buy them, however it seems most people give up if it isn't from abc.co.uk etc. and whine about not being able to get them easily.

Associate
Tbh even today other companies were listing 3090's in the £1700-1800 region and sure these are abit better but £1000 ontop of the fe price come on, when the prices on ocuk are actually getting to or above scalp levels it really does make you think.

Caporegime
It’s amazing to think that the possibility is there of actually not being able to buy a card throughout the entire shelf life of the product.

Is it genuinely possible that people will still be waiting or paying well over the odds for a3000 series card when the 4000 series is released?

Back
Top Bottom