Tokyo or New York

Associate
Tokyo. More of a difference in culture than I am use to. I live in London, and New York is basically the mirror version so to say.

Soldato
Depends on how brave you are. New York your not going to have any trouble understanding or being understood. However, that I think is sometimes half the fun.
I would vote Tokyo

Man of Honour
I've spent two days in NYC and two in Tokyo. I would personally go for Tokyo but make sure to try and check out some more of the country. Maybe even hop over to South Korea (Seoul or Busan) for a few days.

The main reason being it's obviously culturally a lot more different to the UK than NYC is which I find makes it a bit more enjoyable. Also Sushi. Good god if I had the money to visit Sukiyabashi Jiro and was in Tokyo I'd be there.

Soldato
I've been to both and personally I'd say Tokyo. I just find it a nicer, more friendly city overall and it does have plenty of things to do and see (although that really does depend on what you want to do). You could easily spend two weeks in Tokyo alone.

Although personally if I was planning to go to Tokyo for two weeks I'd get a weeks rail pass and activate it for the middle of the trip and travel down to Kyoto/Osaka to see things in that area as well.

Although it does also depend on if you are happy being surrounded by minimal English for the holiday or if you are more comfortable understanding what is going on :)

Soldato
Which would you recommend for a fortnight and most importantly why :p

Toyko

Hotter babes
Better weather
Much much cleaner streets
Much less chance of being a victim of crime
Better/healthier food
Everyone is much more polite and easy going
and top it all off Akihabara \Thread

I so want to go back, and if i could afford it i'd move there

Toyko can be done and dusted in just over a week, so also try to go somewhere else, i'd go to Kyoto and stay at a traditional Inn for the fun

Although it does also depend on if you are happy being surrounded by minimal English for the holiday or if you are more comfortable understanding what is going on :)

Funniest part of my time there were two hot babes dressed as maids trying to drag me to a maid cafe but they didn't speak a lick of English. I politely turned them down when they handed me the leftlet and i saw the prices, if i was drinking coke at the time i would have ended up spraying it all over them in shock.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I'd go Tokyo.
new york isn't really that different to visiting any other big city in the English speaking world and our cultures are so close together

Soldato
Toyko can be done and dusted in just over a week, so also try to go somewhere else, i'd go to Kyoto and stay at a traditional Inn for the fun

Trouble with traditional inns they can be quite expensive ... personally last time I was in Kyoto I stayed in a business hotel which was <5mins south of the main Kyoto station and pretty cheap.

Funniest part of my time there were two hot babes dressed as maids trying to drag me to a maid cafe but they didn't speak a lick of English. I politely turned them down when they handed me the leftlet and i saw the prices, if i was drinking coke at the time i would have ended up spraying it all over them in shock.

Never wanted to go to one so tend to not pay attention to them ... normally I'm in a hurry anyway so don't tend to get approached.

The language isn't really an issue in the big cities anyway as long as you smile a nod a lot ... in fact I've had more people wanting to practice their English on me than me being able to use my Japanese.

Soldato
Trouble with traditional inns they can be quite expensive ... personally last time I was in Kyoto I stayed in a business hotel which was <5mins south of the main Kyoto station and pretty cheap.

Yeah but where's the fun in that?? I saw one that was urber luxury and has one of those hot tubs in the room itself, it'll make an excellent honeymoon sweet

Man of Honour
Neither, why spend 2 weeks in either city? You don't need two weeks and both are very expensive places to stay so the total cost will be huge.

A better question would be

'Japan or East Coast USA - which would you chose' as a 14 day trip to either should really be a 4 day city trip and 10 days exploring wider afield. You'll get more out of it, you'll see more, you'll experience more and you'll either spend less or you can upgrade your spending with the money saved to stay in better hotels, perhaps hire a better car, or eat better food, or whatever it is you enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom