Toms hardware Intel Processor. what mobo for slr?

Associate
Hi I bought the Intel 805 2.66 duel core processor that toms hardware tested to 4.5ghz overclocked. it gives a list of about 4 boards saying any of them were successful. but the thing is they tested on a xfire board, i was wondering does asus do a identical board but for sli? as i cant see one :( and if they dont.. does anybody recommend a board that would be suitable and just as capible as the asus one tested.

Soldato
Highly doubt you will get 4.5ghz, as they only got an unstable 4.3ghz on water cooling.

BTW I am using the Asus P5ND2 SLi Deluxe and running my CPU at 3.7ghz (Pentium D 805)

Soldato
I have had an 805 in an Abit AL8, an Abit LG-81, ASRock TWINS 775 and the ASUS P5ND2-SLi.

The ASUS also got me 3.7GHz - just like Raikiri. I got 3.92GHz on the LG-81, but the PWM was running at over 100C!

The ASRock is good for about 3.65GHz and the AL-8 does 3.6GHz.

Everything is tested using stock volts and an AC Freezer 7 Pro.

If you can cool the PWM, the LG-81 is a fabulously stable board, but for value for money the ASRock is superb in my opinion.

Soldato
<maddness> said:
the asrock is bandwidth starved, it only runs in single channel mode!

True - but you could level that charge at every AMD machine and no-one complains about them being slow

<maddness> said:
and does not allow any vcore change.

That's also very true - but with the 805 you don't need any extra voltage to get a significant overclock.

As I said - the LG-81 gets the biggest overclock but the ASRock gets 75% of the way and costs half as much and you don't need to aftermarket cool the PWM bridge either.

Soldato
its worth adding SLI boards are based around a nvidia chipset, you need an intel based x955 or x975 express chipset to get the best clocks out of your chip.
crossfire setups are a lot more uswer friendly in terms of requirements than SLI rigs.

ill get back toy you but i know theres a certain Abit board out there ( aw8 somethign or other) that doesnt let you put the FSB more than 170Mhz on these chips because theyre 133Mhz chips.

if your after a decent dual graphics board, the Asus P5WD2 premiums and '-E's are the daddies. but not SLI, just crossfire

Associate
OP
Basically as i stand. I've got a 3700 AMD San diego and a nf4 Lanparty Ultra D board.

I've sold these for £180 to a mate and bought the intel 805 chip. as it out performs the 3700 clocked by a LONG way.

I've got a 7800gtx card would it be worth selling the card and getting an xfire then i can get the xfire board or just getting a none sli board and just run the one card?

What sort of water cooling should I be looking at getting if im wanting to run it at 4 to 4.1!! Stable.

I know its a bit of a pain but could you give me the product codes or link to the boards, water kits or anything you mension :) be greatly apreciated.

*Oh one more thing. ive currently got 2gb of Patriot DDR 400mhz ram I'd need to sell that and get DDR2 yeh, but what speed ddr please? thanks.

Last edited:
Soldato
There is absolutely no guarantee that you'll ever get it above 3.2GHz stable.

I've never seen one not do 3.2GHz, but over that, you need;

1. A REALLY good power supply - stable voltage is everything for extreme overclocking - try a 600W Seasonic at roughly £100
2. REALLY good cooling - how about the Swiftech H20-220 Apex? - £130 or even better - phase cooling (£500?).

By now, including the £85 you spent on the 805 you could have bought a 960 that is clocked at 3.6GHz stock on a cheapo motherboard.

3. You'll now need a really good motherboard - the P5WD2/E is such a board - but it's £125-£150

And you've still got a superheated 805 driving the whole mad project.

Isn't the whole point that this is big performance on a budget?

OK my recommendation is - get a P5ND2 for £70, 2GB of GSkill 667 for another £120 and an AC Freezer 7 Pro or a Big Typhoon. Plug in that 7800GTX and be happy at about 3.6GHz - that's still a whopping overclock and you'll be able to pick up another 7800GTX cheaply (prices are plummeting on those) for even more Hi-res fun in SLi mode.

There's no point in getting fixated on 4.1Ghz - most of them won't do 3.6GHz anyway. But you could be lucky!

Soldato
WJA, you seem to have got a partucularly good chip. Mine needs 1.45v for 3.7 although runs relatively cool (have had it at 3.85 before, stock cooling wasnt up to it though).

I am running mine with a 430w seasonic, x800gto and some cheap PC4200 ram (the patriot or Geil PC5300 will work nicely). But considering you will be using a high end graphics card I would also say get the 600w Seasonic they are silent and very stable.

Associate
WJA96 said:
True - but you could level that charge at every AMD machine and no-one complains about them being slow

That's also very true - but with the 805 you don't need any extra voltage to get a significant overclock.

As I said - the LG-81 gets the biggest overclock but the ASRock gets 75% of the way and costs half as much and you don't need to aftermarket cool the PWM bridge either.

My Amd was never slow and its dual channel so not sure what you mean there.

I have the 775twins mobo and its no good. Whats your best superpi time with this board, at stock or any speed it cant even match what others get on straight away on a better board. Iam using ddr1, maybe ddr2 is better?

I just brought a P5ND2 dirt cheap, it might be DOA but I'am hoping it'll be a vast improvement if it works.
The asrock is good for stock only imo, a good board for someone who wants the cheap integrated graphics, etc

Associate
The motherboard? Well Ive maybe got a replacement or maybe not but that'd be usefull. Iam not saying its a bad setup because dual core makes windows fast enough but for single thread apps, its not very fast just ok :/

I heard twins can be hard wired to volt mod but Iam not going to do that really. I read a review that confirmed it lacked in some tests last night and they continually mentioned single channel disadvantages

Think this is it
http://www.ocworkbench.com/2005/asrock/reviews/775twins-HDTV/g1.htm

Did you use ddr1 or ddr2 with it? What bios revision, iam 1.2 presently

Soldato
That review is really quite odd.

The ASRock 775 TWINS HDTV is £33+VAT, the boards it is being compared to are;

ASRock Dual 775 880Pro - £43+VAT
EPOX 5NVA+SLi - 85+VAT
Foxconn 955 X7AA - £139+VAT
Gigabyte GA-8I955X - £125+VAT
Jetway 945DAG-Dual - I cannot find a UK price for this, but lets assume it's an Intel chipset, so it's going to be at least £50.

When you compare like with like ie. not using the integrated graphics, the ASRock performs quite adequately. Certainly within 5% of the others. It does take a massive hit when the integrated graphics are used, but then, isn't that to be expected?

It also beats the slightly more expensive ASRock 775 880Pro, which says that the ATI chipset is better than the VIA in this application.

I'm using the latest BIOS - P1.4 and, yes, they are running single channel - but they are running single channel at DDR2 speed so the effect is same, surely?

Associate
Heres the bit I was referring too

sisoft8eu.jpg

Its about 30% slower, it doesnt seem so bad in their other trials but it illustrates the effect I have noticed while using the board together with no ability to set 3-5-5-10 timing for my ddr1 ram I was not happy with the board. Also it cant use cl4 ddr2 ram ?

Iam using it right now and its ok, but last night on bf2 Iam not so sure it could cope. Iam probably just fussy, it gets 10k on 3dmark03 with a 6800pci-e

Last edited:
Associate
OP
well ive got 2 prediciments :)

to do or not to do.

like i said at the mo ive got a 3700 sandiego on nf4 ultra d with 2gb patriot ram.

the reason i wanted rid initally was that i cant clock my 3700 more than 210 think its the ink as ive tried with other ram and not gone stable above 220.

ive got a 805 chip sat here. would it be worth trying it or selling? its unopened so i can just as happily take it back?

it does sound like a fairly big undertaking.

ive sold my ultra d lanparty board and 3700 for £180 if i want to.. what you you guys do instead. ive got about £280 to spend in total with the amd and board sold.

cheers

Associate
the 3700 is IMO definatly a superior chip for most things, only when you start heavy multi tasking will the 805 have any chance.

You'll almost certainly get 3.5-3.6 out of it on stock cooling and a decent PSU isn't essential. My rig is running on an old Jeantech PSU.

Soldato
alexx said:
the reason i wanted rid initally was that i cant clock my 3700 more than 210 think its the ink as ive tried with other ram and not gone stable above 220.

I think you are making a mistake selling that setup and going 805 now. If I were you, I'd keep the DFI / 3700 until Conroe (July 23rd), then think about selling.

Are you new to overclocking (genuine question - I don't mean to offend), because a DFI and 3700 should clock pretty well. Did you use dividers to keep the memory ~ 200 Mhz?

For gaming, I think you'd be hard-pressed to beat a DFI / AMD64 setup right now.

Soldato
I wouldn't buy an 805 anyway - the 930 is a much faster chip - yes it's £55 more, but it will easily do 3.8GHz under air cooling and I swapped out 2 840EEs for 2 930's on my Folding@Home rigs and my productivity rocketed!

There was a motherboard combo on MM recently of a P5ND2, 1GB DDR2 RAM and 2 x 6800GS that went for £240. Add in a £140 worth of P4 930 and you've got a games machine and a half for under £400.

Soldato
i had the 805D twice, both did over 4Ghz on water but i wasnt really impressed, however the 920D's (which ive had about 5) were something to talk about. The Presler series are very closely priced now-a-days
with about £10-20 price difference between them so it would be wiser to go for a higher multiplier (for the price ratio)

The Preslers have 4mb L2 cache and a good strong 200fsb comparing to the
805's 2mb cache & 133 bus (not to mention preslers are 65nm parts), which in my experienceis well worth the price difference.

LOL WJA the £240 kit wasnt yours by any chance ;)

i still was dissapointed by the 775twins, i think most people would like for the 200 bus clock to give a nice 4Ghz (well i wanted to :p) and it is not possible with the 775twins. Its best application is probably a media centre. Deffinatly no foundation for a gaming system!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom