Tonsils should they stay or should they go.

Associate
Hi all,

Really had the week from hell my mom passed this time last week unexpected so not sure if this as had effect to the eposiode of very bad tonsillitis.

Back history from 6 - 23 none stop twice ayear tonsillitis i mean bad to the point i could not talk but no one said about removing then not sure why.

So fast forward 16 years i have had a couple of bouts but all in all they been good really good well untill tuesday last week. Ive been trying to drink water but for some reason its been coming out my nose yes my nose must be due to the swollen area, i have not been able to talk, eat solids to be honest from what i remember this is one of the worst bouts, ive even been chocking and having sleep apnea all damn night stuggling to breath and waking gasping for my breath not fun.

Just been to docs again ive got a second new antibiotics, hopefully these will work as they did bugger all, my question is the new doctor was shocked how bad swollen they are i personally think they would listen and i could have them removed is there anyone on here that has had the procedure would you recomend it, would you have it done again if you had to or run lol also have you suffered from bad throats after they was removed ?

Thanks for your time

Clubb699

Associate
My wife got bad tonsillitis but the GP would not recommend having them taken out until she had 5-6 bouts per year.

She ended up going private and had them out about 4 days later.. although recovery can be painful and take a few weeks she doesn't regret it.

ohh and best food after having them done???? tortilla chips.

Caporegime
Sis ended up being rushed to hospital twice with breathing difficulties due to a quinsy/tonsillitis - had to have a metal tube shoved down her throat to stop the swelling completely blocking the airway. Second time they removed the tonsils. She's never complained about any after effects. I'd have 'em out if I were the OP.

Soldato
Our son had his tonsils and adenoids removed. We noticed them causing an issue in his eating, he found it difficult to eat/swallow normally and when unwell this was really bad for him. They are very paranoid about taking them out nowadays but what did it for us was the sleep apnea - so you might be very wise to push on this issue with your GP. For our son we felt like he was very tired in the morning (overly so, given we have 4 kids to compare with) and this harmed his concentration. We had to have him taken into hospital where I stayed with him whilst he was hooked up with monitors for checking blood oxygen etc. overnight. From this they could deduce that he had a mild form of sleep apnea which was then attributed to his enlarged tonsils and adenoids. Couple of weeks later, into hospital under general and had them removed. He's been much much better ever since.

Caporegime
I don't have my tonsils and I feel like half a man and I get regularly kicked to the kerb..
The shame I feel in public changing rooms, having to hide my open mouth from people is unbearable.

Soldato
I don't have my tonsils and I feel like half a man and I get regularly kicked to the kerb..
The shame I feel in public changing rooms, having to hide my open mouth from people is unbearable.

Why are you going into public changing rooms open mouthed? ;)

I've never had tonsillitis but I may have mine removed then put back in again just because

SPG

SPG

Soldato
When our alien creators return those who have had tonsils removed will not be allowed on the mother-ship.

Associate
OP
Well thanks for the great feedback so far, ive had a hurting laugh at some of this coments but was so worth it so funny i needed that.;)

I think there only one way for this and thats to have them removed go through the pain one last time if hurts after op, i could get it done through bupa and work so dont think it will be a problem.

Thanks for you time ;)

Soldato
A friends sickly daughter seemed to have constant tonsillitis and was regularly in hospital with related complications, however the doctors seemed very reluctant to remove them, also saying something along the lines of 8+ episodes in a year to warrant it... Apparently the operations is now deemed as 'risky'.

30 years ago when I was a kid I am sure every other kid seemed to have them out! Perhaps its a NHS savings thing?

Push to have them out, if you're 22 and still getting it then I think you are unlikely to grow out of it.

Soldato
When I was a kid (now 31) I used to get it all the time, I think around 10 times a year roughly, according to my mother who remembers these things :p

The doctor would always say "ohh if this happens again perhaps we should think about getting them out" It never happened though.

As I've got older I stopped catching it and I couldn't tell you the last time I had it. They swell up from time to time and get sore, even get that white stuff on them but they have always recovered on their own.

Soldato
afaik you need to have had the issue come about 6 times in a year to be entitled to have them removed on the NHS.

This is what the GP told my wife

VTR

VTR

Soldato
My cousin had his out when he was 15. Had some complications and a blood clot afterwards, almost killed him. I suffered with it for twice a year for many years but after what happened to him, completely put me off having them out! I'm 30 now and not had it for the last 6 years or so, stopped having it regular in my early 20's :)

Soldato
My cousin had his out when he was 15. Had some complications and a blood clot afterwards, almost killed him. I suffered with it for twice a year for many years but after what happened to him, completely put me off having them out! I'm 30 now and not had it for the last 6 years or so, stopped having it regular in my early 20's :)

Prob when you stopped kissing random frogs from the local night club

Soldato
They like to keep them in as they're a first line of defense for catching infections. I was always one bout of tonsillitis short of having mine out, still get it now and again but only once or twice a year at worst.

Given the breathing difficulties you mention I'd definitely have them out if it's an open given to you by a doctor.

Back
Top Bottom