Tony Blair cancels book signing

Caporegime
Surely the cost is due to the muppets protesting by throwing eggs and bricks? If people were not doing that then there wouldn't need to be as much policing costs.

I thought all profits from the book were going to the British Legion, so it isn't really expanding his purse is it?
No the majority of costs incurred by the taxpayer in relation to TB are down to his needing a lot of protection wherever he goes, and not from people throwing eggs.

He has donated the advance, not the profits (at least this was the case when I was last in England, havent seen English news for a bit).

RDM

RDM

Soldato
He has donated the advance, not the profits (at least this was the case when I was last in England, havent seen English news for a bit).

I was under the impression that all profits from the book are going to the British Legion, obviously he has only donated the advance so far as it would be impossible to donate future profits until they actually occur...

Man of Honour
All the protesting immature morons should leave him alone for once and worry about their own lives for a change.

Caporegime
I was under the impression that all profits from the book are going to the British Legion, obviously he has only donated the advance so far as it would be impossible to donate future profits until they actually occur...
Indeed, could well be the case, but as far as I know it was only the advance. Any road, I cant remember the figures, but he costs us millions per annum in bodyguarding costs.

Soldato
hmm lets see, guy gets elected by the country guy does what he thinks is the right things people vote him again, guy does his stuff what he believes is the right thing -invading iraq- our elected representatives agree to this guy leaves office and still gets grief.

seriously wtf? the guy does what he thinks is the right thing and is backed up by the majority of OUR representatives if people really felt this strongly about it they would have lobbied their MPs etc at the time and raised their concerns legitimately.

FACT- he is not a bleeding war criminal he has the backing of the eu/un etc and everything was legit
OPINION- i honestly think he's done iraqis a favour, toppling hussein a dictator and as we can see now replaced with a proper elected government i'd say thats a pretty big plus yes theres been a lot of problems and issues doing this but at the end of the day the people of iraq have a proper democratic government and thats something that we need to realise is a massive step forward. maybe if the coalition forces had done it properly in the 90's we would have had the same situation years ago.

Yes i think he's a smimey git i personally dont like him but fair play, he's donated the entire profits and advance for his book to the british legion and for that we as a nation should salute him, it would have been very easy for him to pocket the cash and buy another couple of houes and swan off somewhere but no he has done a decent thing here so fair play.

and as for the muppets demonstrating against him get a flipping grip. its history been and gone why pelt the guy with shoes and eggs just makes you look a bunch of gormless fools. this guy is out there raising the profile of a book that is going to help numerous british troops which to me is a worthy cause. just let him get on with it. no one is perfect and yes he has made mistakes but get over it and let the guy make his gestures

Soldato
I thought what was amusing watching some videos of the protests is that the anti-war protesters seem to be rather violent and unruly. They're baying for blood as much as any angry mob/murderer. I mean, maybe I'm missing something, but isn't an anti-war stance supposed to promote peace, not violence and anger?

lcg

lcg

Associate
Soldato
The only reason the book profit is going to charity is because he wants to restore some face.

To me, that is even more offensive than the fact he has not been decent enough to commit suicide yet.

He was never a PM, he is and always will be a PR man, and we dont need PR men in office, we need people who are able to do the job.

Soldato
hmm lets see, guy gets elected by the country guy does what he thinks is the right things people vote him again, guy does his stuff what he believes is the right thing -invading iraq- our elected representatives agree to this guy leaves office and still gets grief.

seriously wtf? the guy does what he thinks is the right thing and is backed up by the majority of OUR representatives if people really felt this strongly about it they would have lobbied their MPs etc at the time and raised their concerns legitimately.

FACT- he is not a bleeding war criminal he has the backing of the eu/un etc and everything was legit
OPINION- i honestly think he's done iraqis a favour, toppling hussein a dictator and as we can see now replaced with a proper elected government i'd say thats a pretty big plus yes theres been a lot of problems and issues doing this but at the end of the day the people of iraq have a proper democratic government and thats something that we need to realise is a massive step forward. maybe if the coalition forces had done it properly in the 90's we would have had the same situation years ago.

Yes i think he's a smimey git i personally dont like him but fair play, he's donated the entire profits and advance for his book to the british legion and for that we as a nation should salute him, it would have been very easy for him to pocket the cash and buy another couple of houes and swan off somewhere but no he has done a decent thing here so fair play.

and as for the muppets demonstrating against him get a flipping grip. its history been and gone why pelt the guy with shoes and eggs just makes you look a bunch of gormless fools. this guy is out there raising the profile of a book that is going to help numerous british troops which to me is a worthy cause. just let him get on with it. no one is perfect and yes he has made mistakes but get over it and let the guy make his gestures

I agree with you 100%, the opposition will never agree. That’s the nature of political opposition.

Soldato

Exactly.

I never voted or supported Labour (blue eyed Tory here!), but Tony did what he thought was right.

The Iraqi's now aren't being oppressed by some tyrant and actually have a democracy. I fully support the war in Iraq.

Those throwing eggs just annoy me. He was our democratically elected leader. Yes I don't support his party, but he won the election fair and square. Get over it.

Man of Honour
I agree with you 100%, the opposition will never agree. That’s the nature of political opposition.

Well, apart from the fact that he didn't have backing of the UN or the EU and took the country to war against legal advice and information given by his own security services which he sent back until he was happy with it....

Soldato
I thought what was amusing watching some videos of the protests is that the anti-war protesters seem to be rather violent and unruly. They're baying for blood as much as any angry mob/murderer. I mean, maybe I'm missing something, but isn't an anti-war stance supposed to promote peace, not violence and anger?

Logic isn't usually their forte.

Back
Top Bottom