1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tony Northrops ebook

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by Minusorange, Aug 29, 2018.

1. Minusorange

Wise Guy

Has anybody here got this and would they recommend it as a decent material to get started or are there better books/tutorials out there for getting started ?

2. socreative

Gangster

Started in what? Photography in general?

3. Spleen Sauce

Hitman

YouTube would be my suggestion. And its all free.

4. Minusorange

Wise Guy

I've been using that and whilst it's good, you can't search for things that you don't know about, books generally steer you along

For instance if you'd never heard of ISO before and none the videos you watched mentioned it, how would you know to look for information on it ?

5. mattyg

Soldato

Good point.

Photography forums are also very good for that too.

6. Spleen Sauce

Hitman

7. D.P.

Caporegime

8. EGuitarStar

Wise Guy

I have not read the book but my way of learning the technical aspects of photography came from actually shooting with a camera and then trying to attain images similar to what I had already seen online. I then delved into my camera settings and wondered what iso, aperture and shutter speed actually do, this is where I used Google and YouTube.

The book @D.P. recommended looks very good, composition is what makes one picture stand out compared to another, not the camera model, camera make, sensor size, features etc... This is the link to the UK Amazon site for the revised edition. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Photograph...562507&sr=8-1&keywords=The+Photographer's+Eye - I think I'll pick this up on pay day.

9. Columbo

Sgarrista

Bryan Peterson - Understanding Exposure is the only book I've ever read on the subject and would be my recommendation.

10. Mittens

Hitman

I have the book. Couple of points: I think it's a decent read if youre a complete novice; it has links to videos to illustrate whatever point/lesson he is discussing.
    shortly after buying the book, and after only reading the first chapter, I discovered a guy on youtube called mike browne. He is awesome. I watched all of the videos on his channel and have not felt the need to finish tony's e-book (though i skim read a few sections)

TLDR: watch mike browne videos on youtube. he is very good.

hth.

11. Minusorange

Wise Guy

Thanks for the suggestions guys

12. Marzipanogram

Hitman

OP.
    PM sent.

13. Buddy

Wise Guy

I actually found a lot of information online. Basic and advanced. A lot actually just came with experimentation and practice. Which I'm sure most will echo. Just pick up a camera have an idea of what you want and click away. Review your images be critical and ask mates to do the same.

What area do you want to get into? I'm sure they'll be people on here who can advise.

14. TheSkateyBird

Hitman

I really enjoy Mike’s videos and find them very useful. Definitely check them out.

15. Spacedeck

Mobster

The thing I like about this guy is he doesn't use super expensive gear or lenses for these training videos.

16. Skalaberg

Hitman

Another vote for Mike Browne here.... really explains it all very simply and understandably.

17. Minusorange

Wise Guy

Good shout on Mike Browne his vids are excellent

I've had my camera over a week now and still not taken a picture yet :(