Too close to 42" plasma?

alx

alx

Soldato
I'm currently in the process of rearranging/decorating a downstairs games room in order to put my 42" plasma (720p) in it. Only problem is that due to the size and layout of the room the best place to position the TV and sofa would mean that you'd be watching the TV from about 6ft away.

Seeing as my TV is packed away atm, is it even worth getting it out to see how it feels at this distance? Or is it far too close?

Just wanted some opinions before I decide to waste a load of effort unpacking it and setting it up (TV would have to be packed away again as room isn't ready, hence my request).

alx

alx

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the replies guys, think I'll go with wall mounting the tv so it's ~6-7ft away - best setup overall for the room as well. :)

Associate
I would say for gaming and High Def viewing that would be an ideal distance - any further from that and you are not really going to get the full benefits of High Def.

Only major problem would be that you might see some of the imperfections in standard def. material but hopefully your plasma should do a good job of upscaling that.

alx

alx

Soldato
OP
I actually tried it today and it was pretty good, SD looked ok (when it's actually set up I'll prob be able to sit about another foot away).

Got another question, would be surround sound (5.1 system) be suitable for the room if it was set up as shown below? (thought it would be easier to a post a roughly to scale image than trying to describe it)

Roompic1.jpg

I was thinking of getting a Onkyo HT-S3305 5.1 system and wall mounting the speakers, good idea or is the space too small? Would rather ask a (silly) question first than waste the money on something that isn't worth it.

Soldato
Its pretty hard to be "too big", or too close. You have to be sitting almost on top of the TV before it has a similar viewing angle/area as a real movie theatre, and its not like you have to keep craneing your neck from side to side to follow the action at the cinema.

42inch at 5ft, with a 1080p set.. lovely... 60 inch at 7-8ft, thats nice too :p.

alx

alx

Soldato
OP
I'd say that room looks a decent size for a 5.1 setup - I wouldn't say it's too small for it

That Onkyo system has nice sized speakers too so they won't look too big in there either :)

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Will hopefully look good when wall mounted.

On that popular auction site you can get a refurbished Onkyo HT-S3305 system for about £230 (rather than the new price of £300) with a 1 year warranty - does that sound like a good deal or should I just go for a new one?

Back
Top Bottom