Too good of a deal? or am i being stupid?

Associate
Hi All,
First of all this is my first post so bare with me please.
I have been looking at either building or buying a gaming pc for a few years now, but now my friend has got one and i have had a taste of PUBG i feel like i am going to make the jump.
So i am looking at spending maximum £1000 but preferably under that and if the right deal comes up, which i think it may have, if people say it is worth it then i will buy a pre built PC.

So the deal i have seen is for £989.99 and it comes with:
STORM Gaming PC:
Intel i5 7600K (4 x 3.8 GHZ)
16 GB DDR4 2133 MHZ
NVIDIA GTX 1070 – 8 GB
1 TB Western Digital 7200 RPM HDD
Asus B250M-K
EVGA 600W PSU
Windows 10 Home 64 BIT
Case Storm Gaming Case LED Green
Intel Heatsink & Fan
Connections 1 x HDMI
1 x DVI
2 x DisplayPort
USB Ports 4 x USB3
4 x USB2

So when i planned this computer it has come out at over £1100 and looking online for around £900 i will not get anywhere near the same specs as this, which makes me think it is too good to be true?
What do you think is it a viable option or do you think i should just carry on looking?
Furthermore to this i would like to add a SSD to it which i think is possible.

Thanks for your help in advance.
Ollie

Soldato
its good, 1070 be expected for that price if its used, heres couple options to throw in the mix, ive gone with self builds for now.

from amd, windows + shipping is why its over. normally youd fit an ssd in there with the hdd, but tall order without dropping windows or to a 4 core.

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £1,033.18
(includes shipping: £12.30)

intel side. new coffee lake and a slightly cheaper 1070, still no ssd unless you drop windows.

Total: £1,005.18
(includes shipping: £12.30)

Soldato
@Oliver Green

sounds second hand or cheaper parts- EVGA bottom range PSU , Palit Dual GTXs which you can buy in packs of ten for cheap system builds

Would personally pick @ExoMale 's solid Ryzen build- nails it on the head !

funny thing is , they give you a K overclock chip but on a non overclocking board........ :(

Don
I'll throw this option out there -

By opting for a 1060 6GB (which is still plenty for 1080P gaming), you can have:
- a 250GB SSD (as well as the 1TB HDD)
- a much better rated PSU (Gold rated vs Bronze of the XFX, and 10 year warranty vs 3 on the XFX)
- a much nicer "future proof" case (e.g. if you wanted to water cool in the future), this will also be much better than the Kolink for air cooling (as the Kolink above only has a 92mm rear fan)
- an aftermarket CPU cooler (which will be quieter/perform better than the stock Intel cooler)

Total: £1,110.52
(includes shipping: £14.70)

Soldato
I would ignore buying Windows to start with. You can buy a product key later on. The only downside is you can't personalize the desktop and you get a watermark. Still functions fine otherwise.

Just download the creation tool from microsoft website and put it on a usb stick.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

It says you need a license but you can still install it. Just click on 'I don't have a product key' when installing it.

Associate
Op if you want a good performance cpu at a good price the Ryzen series has great pull to it, and gaming at 1080p a 6gb 1060 is a good option or you can have a look at an rx 580 if you want AMD

OcUK Systems
OcUK Staff
OP, just keep in mind that if you buy a system with Windows from a less trustworthy SI then you can't be sure that it's a legal copy and so there is no guarantee that it will continue to work even if it registers. Microsoft spend a small fortune every year on a team whose only job is to track down the source of dodgy copies and shutting down both them and their licenses. Also you can't rely on the warranty or quality of the components. You'd be surprised how many companies offer labour only warranties after the first few weeks and it is sometimes possible to buy cheaper components with no manufacturer warranty too. Which means, if you couldn't get them to honour the hardware warranty in the event of a problem, you would end up with a pretty paper weight that you'd have to pay them to fix

It's always possible to build a cheap PC using the absolute cheapest parts available, including second hand and refurbished parts, but that's not always advisable. If you want to save money, build it yourself or call us up and see if we can do you a deal.

Please note. Since I have no clue who this SI is that you refer to in the opening post, I'm not accusing them of anything specific, I'm just giving you some examples of shady dealings that I've seen in the industry.

Soldato
Will echo ScottiB's thoughts above, dealt with one years ago myself who installed a "legit" copy of windows vista i paid for. They left a disk in my cd/dvd drive which was yellow and just had "vista" squiggled on it. Would also be very unhappy to find a KMS program installed faking activation etc. Be careful i know this supplier still actively does this too and has been called out on many sites and even review sites for it.

Sort your own windows licence later, get your components first

Associate
OP
Hi All,
Apologies for the slow reply, i have had other things on.
After looking into all of your points it seems like i should just build a PC, take my time and do it properly instead of buying a pre built one and taking a risk in the quality of it.
I have planned to build this computer, and going with Intel instead of AMD. I will put my comments next to each on my i have chosen parts them however if you think of any alternate parts then throw them at me as you know better than me!

CPU Intel - Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor (Was thinking of going with @Armageus Core i3 however it is not compatible with the motherboard, so i could upgrade to @ExoMale motherboard which will eaqual out the price.
CPU Cooler Cooler Master - MasterLiquid Lite 120 66.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard MSI - Z270-A PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory Corsair - Vengeance LED 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory (Cheapest one for 16gb i could find)
Storage Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (See the advantage of paying extra for a SSD)
Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card EVGA - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black Edition Video Card (Worth paying for a 1070)
Case Zalman - Z11 Plus ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

Let me know what you think but thanks to you guys, i have looked into it hard and you have educated me on the way to building my first PC.

Thanks
Ollie

Associate
OP
@Armageus So you suggest going for a Intel - Core i3-8350K 4.0GHz and Gigabyte - Z370 HD3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Instead of Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz and Motherboard MSI - Z270-A PRO ATX LGA1151
Sorry i am new to this computer building scene so forgive me!

Thanks
Ollie

Soldato
There’s nothing wrong with prebuilt Systems, yeah sure sometimes you can get better builds in DIY sense, but depending on budgets and options available there are some cracking ready built systems that will do all you ask of it very well and all you have to do is go through he windows installation to set it up, I had a brand new haswell prebuilt that I could’ve got better for the money if I went used or did it myself, but it was a present and was limited to local shops for collections, but had no regrets, did want I wanted.

Majority of us are capable of building systems, some better than others and are okay with expensive hardware handling, but if you don’t think you be confident enough then don’t put yourself out, it’s still a lot of money at the end of the day.

Back
Top Bottom