Top 10 Guitar Solos

Associate
I immediately think of the late great Mick Ronson's final solo on the Wildheart's 'My Baby is a Head****' every time I think of the best guitar solos. It's just one of the most outrageously fun, downright dirty and frantic solos I've ever heard.

Sadly, it was actually the last ever thing Mick recorded before succumbing to cancer. :(

I'd urge you to listen to the full song, or cut to 2:55 to hear the solo itself.

*** Video removed and above songtitle edited, please fully star swearies - Thanks, Armageus ***

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
Last edited:
Man of Honour
Oh goodness - if I must... more than 10 and be warned... shred alert!

Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb
Guns N' Roses - Sweet Child O' Mine
Extreme - Get the Funk Out
Steve Vai - Bad Horsie
Joe Satriani - Always with Me Always with You (sort of the whole song really)
Joe Satriani - Satch Boogie (again the whole thing is just rockin')
Pink Floyd - Time
Megadeth - Tornado of Souls
Metallica - Blackened
Racer X / Paul Gilbert - Scarified (just for the spectacle and pure wtf when you realise how difficult the end bit is)
Racer X / Paul Gilbert - Technical Difficulties. I don't care what anyone says... this is just stunning... it boggles my mind that the 'comfortably numb' section is improvised.... but what really makes it is that he's just such a nice goofy / charismatic guy that goes into full on god mode on demand.

Also some overlooked ones that are genius in their own way:
Nirvana - In Bloom
Oasis - Don't Look Back in Anger
Queens of the Stone Age - Leg of Lamb (ultra creepy... can a guitar sound more creepy?! No!)
ELO - Mr Blue Sky

Caporegime
Lil Wayne - Lollipop guitar solo

Quite frankly, Lil Wayne is a GOD. Evidently he's quite an amazing rapper, but something truly special happens once he picks up a guitar: he becomes a force of nature. The same force we saw with Jimi back in the 60s.

Now unlike other virtuoso guitar players, Wayne simply oozes expression and soul, and he never sacrifices the feel for technique or speedy/showy playing. The man is a true artist and connoisseur of guitar playing.

J.T

J.T

Soldato
Lil Wayne - Lollipop guitar solo

Quite frankly, Lil Wayne is a GOD. Evidently he's quite an amazing rapper, but something truly special happens once he picks up a guitar: he becomes a force of nature. The same force we saw with Jimi back in the 60s.

Now unlike other virtuoso guitar players, Wayne simply oozes expression and soul, and he never sacrifices the feel for technique or speedy/showy playing. The man is a true artist and connoisseur of guitar playing.

Post of the year, so much LOL!!! Hahahahahahahhahahahaha!!!!

Caporegime
Might as well add some others to the thread...

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2o0qaq - Pearl Jam - Alive (Live at Jools Holland)

Not really a solo, but probably the best bit of guitar work ever

Plus a few that no one would ever think of...

That outro... Done in just one take

Nails the whole track plus solo at the end with a broken string

I just love how absolutely ****** everyone is in these vids, especially Mick. :p Great solos at the end with no pick. Plus that bass...

This one is nothing big or anything, but I've always loved the little bit at the end from Johnny at 2:45 onwards.

This ones not quite a solo, but whole song.

If you like that, you may like this too - inspired by that track.

Man of Honour
I immediately think of the late great Mick Ronson's final solo on the Wildheart's 'My Baby is a Head****' every time I think of the best guitar solos. It's just one of the most outrageously fun, downright dirty and frantic solos I've ever heard.

Sadly, it was actually the last ever thing Mick recorded before succumbing to cancer. :(

I've got everything by The Wildhearts and I never knew Mick Ronson played on that.

Soldato
Is there any limit to your pedantry?

When someone can give a logical explanation of a solo that extends beyond a performance by an individual and no one else, then maybe.

As it stands the general vague definition is along of the lines of "when it gets a bit faster or more complex" which makes no sense.

Some tracks are pretty much one whole shredding session, you couldn't possibly suggest that the whole track is a solo or that it's a track made up of multiple solos back to back.

Which is why "lead" actually makes sense.

Back
Top Bottom