Top Radiator started leaking after fitting new pump/res

Associate
I recently had just had my EK dual res/pump fail, i decided to get a new bay res to aid easy swap out.

I fitted my new XSPC Twin D5 Dual Bay Reservoir/Pump all seemed to be going fine, it just settled into down a bit, then suddely water started to come out of my top Radiator (EK-COOLSTREAM XE 480). I was going to buy a new case etc.

My question is I had the both pumps up pretty high as I was bleeding the system, is that what caused my top rad to suddenly go ? If i dont get a new case could I just buy the same rad and start again ?

Man of Honour
Sounds like the two pumps overpressured the loop and the rad let go. I have never tested how much pressure a pump creates in a loop but that radiator is only pressure tested to 1 bar (14.7 psi). That's a expensive radiator to have to replace. Where is it leaking from? Could it be the hose and it's shot water onto the fins? Two pumps is overkill really. My single D5 can handle my loop which has one of the most restrictive cpu blocks in it as well as a full cover gpu block, 2x 60mm thick 360mm rads, big inline filter, reservoir and around 10m of tubing/copper pipe.

Soldato
I wouldn’t have thought so to be honest. They don’t really produce much pressure in the first place, not enough to cause a rad to fail anyway.

I think they produce something like 5psi max speed so even dual pumps you’d be talking around 8-10psi.

I have dual pumps and the same radiator. Never had an issue.

I’d say it’s likely the rad was damaged and the increase in pressure from upgrading to dual pumps has caused it to leak. Or as pasty says perhaps the coolant has come from elsewhere.

Soldato
A few years ago I had a Phobya 400mm rad which started leaking due to corrosion.

I managed to temporarily fix it with JB Weld but when the second leak started I decided to get rid.

First time I’ve seen this happen, completely unexpected and worrying at the same time.

Associate
OP
Well the top radiator is leaking, that i am not sure of. Think it was always damaged the extra pressure just showed the issue. Decided to use my 360 rad to get things working for a while so after getting it all ready left it going whilst i read a book. I had the motherboard etc unplugged but left my HDD's in the cage still plugged in ( MISTAKE ) lazy of me. Well everything seemed fine what i didn't not notice was that the new Bay res was slightly leaking. Next thing i notice 3- 4 foot flames ! my 3tb drive is on fire. Well since then I have tried a few new fittings in the bay res and it still leaking. Pretty fed up going to replace the whole lot case/radiators etc. I could sort it all out but feel that a new case and fans etc will give me something to enjoy putting together. So annoyed should have never left them plugged in :( lucky they were far from anything else. Probably start a new post off with the bits i plan to buy.

Associate
You should use clear coolant, with my copper rad the liquid turned red or pink when corrosion happened and there was lots of debris. Copper is like a biocide as well, so when you drain the loop there should be nothing living there. Sometime it can start if you put pure h2o in the loop and nothing else.

Associate
Well the top radiator is leaking, that i am not sure of. Think it was always damaged the extra pressure just showed the issue. Decided to use my 360 rad to get things working for a while so after getting it all ready left it going whilst i read a book. I had the motherboard etc unplugged but left my HDD's in the cage still plugged in ( MISTAKE ) lazy of me. Well everything seemed fine what i didn't not notice was that the new Bay res was slightly leaking. Next thing i notice 3- 4 foot flames ! my 3tb drive is on fire. Well since then I have tried a few new fittings in the bay res and it still leaking. Pretty fed up going to replace the whole lot case/radiators etc. I could sort it all out but feel that a new case and fans etc will give me something to enjoy putting together. So annoyed should have never left them plugged in :( lucky they were far from anything else. Probably start a new post off with the bits i plan to buy.
The rads not dead yet, you can plug the leak with quik steel.

Back
Top Bottom