Tories lost the 2019 election among working age adults

Soldato
Don't tell Germany unions will kill your heavy industry! It's no wonder they've been doing do badly....

(British manufacturing industry was killed by terrible management, a terrible hands-off Tory government in the 50s, and a reliance on the dying British Empire. They simply failed to invest during the 50s, and fell behind. Everything after that was a mess, but it was because of thst decade)

They most likely couldn't invest and carry an over paid workforce, it would equal an over priced / uncompetitive product.

Caporegime
Don't tell Germany unions will kill your heavy industry! It's no wonder they've been doing do badly....

(British manufacturing industry was killed by terrible management, a terrible hands-off Tory government in the 50s, and a reliance on the dying British Empire. They simply failed to invest during the 50s, and fell behind. Everything after that was a mess, but it was because of thst decade)

Tbf in the uk No core job loses at my site vs about 5k losses germany

Man of Honour
Its a British trait, seems to be to look at short term only, I see it in all sorts of UK businesses.

Its a reason why e.g. FTTP has came so late for us, Factories refusing to invest, shops refusing to adapt as well as choosing to sell properties they own to become tenants (and ultimately now going bust), landlords making decisions that give them short term gain, my LL is a prime example he has spent over 3k on engineers for callouts on my boiler, because paying £60 a time is preferable to spending 3k at once.

The few successes we do have such as ARM tend to get sold, as the British owners see the short term ££££ and jump at it. Even many old UK food brands are now foreign owned.

Same with this lorry driver shortage - among other factors a lot of places didn't want to go the expense and effort of training and taking on younger drivers.

Caporegime
Same with this lorry driver shortage - among other factors a lot of places didn't want to go the expense and effort of training and taking on younger drivers.

The lorry driver thing is interesting it proves brexiters where right

Cheap EU labour suppressed uk wages and job opertunities.

But it's being shouted at by remainers as a negative.

Since we left and there's no eu drivers taking the uk job (which supposedly didn't happen the uk people were just lazy) wages have gone up.

Something remainers instated wasn't happening.

Yet now we do have the obvious lag phase where new uk drivers must be trained.

But the outcome is more well paid jobs for uk nationals.

Increased training vs imported "trained" eu staff and increased wages.

Obviously it takes time to settle but for leavers it's win win win.

More jobs, more job opertunities and more pay.

Everything they said has been validated in this instance.

Caporegime
Are the views of older, economically less active, people somehow less valid than other people?

Its an interesting question.

There is certainly an argument for that being the case, in terms of younger people having far more of their lives ahead of them with government policy decisions affecting them for a lot longer than they would a pensioner.

However, i can see the other side in that it is problematic to suddenly exclude people at a certain age from having an influence on how their country is run.

Perhaps a sort of weighting of the votes for those age groups could be considered, but that likely will just open up many cans with many worms.

It is like Brexit. Only the 50+ age group voted to overwhelmingly to leave (could have been even higher, im just looking at these stats which just has four age bands - https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2016/06/27/how-britain-voted). If it was under 50's, remain would have won by a big margin.

Therefore people who are close to retirement or retired basically wanted to leave and those with much of, or even their whole working lives/best years ahead of them voted to remain. So the group of people for which the decision would largely not affect, decided that the group who it would affect were leaving the EU (when said group didn't want to).

Last edited:
Man of Honour
The lorry driver thing is interesting it proves brexiters where right

Cheap EU labour suppressed uk wages and job opertunities.

But it's being shouted at by remainers as a negative.

Since we left and there's no eu drivers taking the uk job (which supposedly didn't happen the uk people were just lazy) wages have gone up.

Something remainers instated wasn't happening.

Yet now we do have the obvious lag phase where new uk drivers must be trained.

But the outcome is more well paid jobs for uk nationals.

Increased training vs imported "trained" eu staff and increased wages.

Obviously it takes time to settle but for leavers it's win win win.

More jobs, more job opertunities and more pay.

Everything they said has been validated in this instance.

Wages haven't helped but they'll never stay as high as they are throwing money around out of desperation at the moment. It is unsustainable in the long run. One of our drivers got thrown £1000 extra on top of what he'd normal make to pull some extra shifts for another company moving chilled goods because otherwise they'd have had to write of 100s of thousands worth - probably wiped out much of the profit they'd have made.

There aren't a lot of British people who want to do it even then - someone somewhere has found a bunch of people at work to start training up and 90% of them are foreign. Not sure where what the background is as a good number of them seem new to the country.

Caporegime
Wages haven't helped but they'll never stay as high as they are throwing money around out of desperation at the moment. It is unsustainable in the long run. One of our drivers got thrown £1000 extra on top of what he'd normal make to pull some extra shifts for another company moving chilled goods because otherwise they'd have had to write of 100s of thousands worth - probably wiped out much of the profit they'd have made.

There aren't a lot of British people who want to do it even then - someone somewhere has found a bunch of people at work to start training up and 90% of them are foreign. Not sure where what the background is as a good number of them seem new to the country.
Right the current rise is desperation but the long term effect is training and more opertunities

Still a win

someone somewhere has found a bunch of people at work to start training up and 90% of them are foreign. Not sure where what the background is as a good number of them seem new to the country.

Not sure what this random racism/xenophobia means tbh.

They're uk citizens or becoming citizens, they're us

Unlike eu national also just here to work an leave

Man of Honour
Not sure what this random racism/xenophobia means tbh.

They're uk citizens or becoming citizens, they're us

Unlike eu national also just here to work an leave

I have nothing against them - just saying even with the increase in money being chucked around it isn't massively drawing British people into the role.

I'm somewhat at a loss where these people have come from though as they seem to have all appeared at once, mostly seem to be still finding their feet in a way which suggests they've not long been in the country and many seem to speak the same language* - but without the freedom of moment with the EU, etc. there must be some longer process behind it - no idea if there is some scheme or something they've used.

* My guess is Portuguese from the use of words for counting numbers.

Soldato
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.in...u-brexit-france-sovereignty-b1917655.html?amp

The EU's lead Brexit negotiator now wants the French courts to be the supreme court in the land so France isn't subject to judgements from the European courts. If this were a movie script people would pan it for being unbelievable!

I didn't have Boris down as a gambler (unlike his friend Cameron) but going back on a election pledge is a big call. Oddly enough there have been polls done in the past (pre covid) that show there is wide spread support for an increase in taxes to pay for extra NHS funding so might just get away with it.

I see Labour have criticized the move yet haven't offered up any alternative on how all this should be paid for.

Soldato
It is like Brexit. Only the 50+ age group voted to overwhelmingly to leave (could have been even higher, im just looking at these stats which just has four age bands - https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2016/06/27/how-britain-voted). If it was under 50's, remain would have won by a big margin.

Therefore people who are close to retirement or retired basically wanted to leave and those with much of, or even their whole working lives/best years ahead of them voted to remain. So the group of people for which the decision would largely not affect, decided that the group who it would affect were leaving the EU (when said group didn't want to).

It's a similar point I've raised in discussion a few times. Another personal example is that I know both of my grandparents voted to leave, my grandfather had passed away before brexit was concluded. And I'd be confident to say that with the ~2% margin leave had, would likely be reversed if anyone who died between the vote and brexit finalising had their votes nulled.

Man of Honour
Its an interesting question.

There is certainly an argument for that being the case, in terms of younger people having far more of their lives ahead of them with government policy decisions affecting them for a lot longer than they would a pensioner.

However, i can see the other side in that it is problematic to suddenly exclude people at a certain age from having an influence on how their country is run.

Perhaps a sort of weighting of the votes for those age groups could be considered, but that likely will just open up many cans with many worms.

For Brexit I can see the argument and could maybe support it. But for an election of the next few years of government, which is pretty short term in the scheme of things, I don't think its valid.

Associate
I really do despair.

Of all the issues worth considering, they decide to resurrect a prehistoric measuring system to appease a small group of dementia sufferers who think that it's 1927.

Ridiculous.

Man of Honour
I really do despair.

Of all the issues worth considering, they decide to resurrect a prehistoric measuring system to appease a small group of dementia sufferers who think that it's 1927.

Ridiculous.

At the risk of drawing a lot of flak for not reading it properly, it appears to me that Boris might be saying that the nation’s market stalls and shops CAN revert to imperial weights and measures if they wish, and not that metric measures will be scrapped in favour of a return to imperial only for everyone.
So Bob’s fruit and veg stall can resume selling apples by the pound or half a pound if that’s what makes his customers happy, but if Mick further along the street wants to keep selling them by the kilo then he can.
Personally, now that I’m used to weighing 82 kg and being 1m 75 cm tall, with a 90 cm waist, I’ll probably stick to buying fruit and veg by the kilo and grams, but if I got Boris announcement wrong, I could get my head around half a pound of raspberries if I had to.
Tesco is around 1km or .6 of a mile from us, but I prefer Waitrose at 1.5 miles, or 2.4 km.

Soldato
OP
At the risk of drawing a lot of flak for not reading it properly, it appears to me that Boris might be saying that the nation’s market stalls and shops CAN revert to imperial weights and measures if they wish, and not that metric measures will be scrapped in favour of a return to imperial only for everyone.
By all means allow sale by imperial measure, but to allow sale by only imperial measures is just ridiculous.

And, really, it's more infuriating for how unserious it shows our politics to be. ******* about with nonsense like this!

Soldato
OP
To be honest you sound like a Brexiteer of a decade ago. What next, you'll be moaning that bendy bananas are being sold again? These are all non stories.
It's childish politics, in a time of great seriousness.

I guess it's baked in with a buffoon pm, elected by people stuck in the history of their privileged youth.

Caporegime
I really do despair.

Ridiculous.
most politicians are old enough that they remember buying a quarter of peer drops etc as a kid.

to them it's probably some weird nostalgia they think everyone has.

you should only be allowed to vote if your of working age imo, anyone retired should have little say in the countries future as long as their pensions and health care is protected by law.

too many old people always holding the country back with outdated views of the past we can never return to

Back
Top Bottom