Tories to axe speed camera funding

Soldato
OP
Remember all the promises that Labour never met? What makes you think the Tories will be any different?

It's a vote winner whether they go ahead with it or not. I think politicians underestimate the influence of motoring policies on voters.

Caporegime
hmm, even tho I'm a little cynical of the tories, I can see them winning the next election at this rate

If the opposition were 4 chimps smashing pots and pans together, they'd be winning the election at this rate. The only reason the Tories will win is because Labour is so rotten.

Soldato
Remember all the promises that Labour never met? What makes you think the Tories will be any different?
This.

Talking about abolishing speed cameras (and other policies likely to receive huge support & media coverage) is one thing, actually doing it is quite another. What's to stop them getting into power and saying "yeah we've got a 10 year plan for this" or not doing it at all?

Caporegime
The thing is, directing funding to other safety campaigns and road improvement makes perfect sense and is not exactly hard to achieve.

"The Yorkshire Post picked up the story first last night, when it reported that in her speech today, Ms Villiers will say: "Labour's army of speed cameras is not the best way to make our roads safer. We will switch to alternative, better, ways to improve road safety."

Firstly Labours army of speedcams? Remind me again which government brought them to these shores in the first place? Before labour got in in 97 they had already built up an 'army' of them.

Secondly the new tory "better way to improve safety" could be to fit a tracker to your car ;) They don't say what they will do instead. Anyone can make these vote winning statements.

So the tories will admit this speed camera saviour they introduced was a failure? Whose to say their next scheme will be a winner?

Soldato
How much do speed-activated warning signs cost to install and maintain? Unless it's relatively peanuts, IMO there are better ways to direct alternative safety policies.

This is promising, though. If this becomes mainstream news, IMO it'll be a Tory landslide.

I'm also in favour of upping speed limits on extraurban roads, outside of villages.. even if that means 'compensatory' speed cuts on city roads, but I doubt that'll happen..

Soldato
Maybe in the future I'll be able to look at the road instead of staring at my speedo whenever there's a camera about. A promise is better than nothing, they've got my vote.

Man of Honour
[TW]Fox;15036038 said:
Didn't see you as a Labour type, Burnsy.

I'm not particularly pro Labour. I liked Blair. I really dislike Brown, I don't think I could vote for labour while Brown is still in office. I would've voted Liberal Democrat, but since Clegg became leader they've alienated their usual faithful.

I am very suspicious of the Tories though. I don't like privatisation and I don't like Cameron; I'm not posh and I simply can't relate to him or what he stands for.

I am in favour of 'common sense' policies though. So all in all I'm pretty stuffed.

Man of Honour
I am quite hugely anti Labour but I did like Blair - I felt he was a great leader and although I disagreed on a personal level with everything he did I felt what he did he did because he genuinelly thought it was the best thing for the country. Obviously it turns out it often wasn't - but the intention was, imho, always sincere.

Shame he wasn't leader of a different party, really.

I'm anti privatisation of public services as well - rail, power, etc should all be publically owned because in many cases essential services they provide make little sense business wise - but this is all too late to do anything about. It's not as if Labour reversed the tide of privatisation is it?

I think a vote for anyone other than Labour or Tory is a vote wasted - realistically, nobody else will ever get in.

Man of Honour
Just like 1997 in reverse then...

Except Cameron is no Blair.

[TW]Fox;15036120 said:
I think a vote for anyone other than Labour or Tory is a vote wasted - realistically, nobody else will ever get in.

Looks like we're on a similar page, at least politically.

It may be a wasted vote, but it does reduce Labour's or the Conservative's majorities in Parliament. I would just feel dirty voting for either of them at the moment. I find I'm agreeing with a few more Labour policies than Tory, but I just couldn't bear any more of Brown.

Soldato
I actually think that Specs' cameras are a good thing on active motorway roadworks.

Reducing the speed to 50mph as you go past work men is not a bad thing at all. I would welcome any thoughts that appose this as I cannot think of any myself?

Obviously hitting a bloke at 50mph or 70mph is going to finish him off, but I think the factor of reduced speed and having to actually think about what you are doing behind the wheel and not drive in auto piliot (which a lot of people do) are the main contributing factors.

If there was some other means to force drivers to concentrate for a couple miles then would be willing to hear these ideas out too.

Something that currently annoys me is Mother's on the school run. There are usually 50m of zig zags outside a regular school. The Mum's still insist on parking on them, or as close to the school as possible.

Why do they not care and park a little further afield making it much safer around school rush hour times?

Back
Top Bottom