Tory MP says people using term ‘white privilege’ should be reported to the Home Office as extremists

Soldato
Exactly, and it's a concept that is complete nonsense created by racists to divide people politically.
What if you've seen it in action?

Like, in my first two trainee accountant roles, at small practices, both would throw out CVs of 'foreign sounding' names.

These are professional roles which, unlike the higher end of the accounting market (dominated by wealthy kids), is otherwise open to working class young people (like I was), but is shutting out non-white people in many cases.

Soldato
White Privilege is the concept that, whatever difficulties you face in life, your skin colour isn't one of them. That's the extent of it.

It doesn't mean you lead an overall privileged life, simply that you have the privilege of not being disadvantaged further due to your race.

In an area that was greater than 99% white, it wasn't possible for white privilege to exist because there was no comparative. The few asian families that were around were successful business owners. And the one black family I knew the parents were a dentist and GP.

To now have a whole movement trying to persuade that town and generation of white people that they were privileged is bizarre. Poor white people face prejudices as well, it's not just minorities. If you from the wrong part of town you wouldn't get employment, or your family name would be tainted by a wrongun, certain schools were frowned upon etc. Privilege isn't just a skin colour thing.

It's minority disadvantage (through no fault of their own), and should be tackled that way. It should be looking to find positive ways to eradicate that disadvantage of the employer that sifts out foreign names, tackle the lack of funding for youth services in general that would help all kids etc. Instead of painting the white population as scapegoat.

Soldato
It's minority disadvantage (through no fault of their own), and should be tackled that way. It should be looking to find positive ways to eradicate that disadvantage of the employer that sifts out foreign names, tackle the lack of funding for youth services in general that would help all kids etc. Instead of painting the white population as scapegoat.
The term causes consternation more than the concept, as you demonstrate.

You accept "minority disadvantage", but not "white privilege".

And it's interesting, in general, how uncomfortable people are with being labelled "privileged", but how comfortable they are with being so.

You, for example, recognise that white people face fewer challenges, it's therefore a bit easier for you than for an equivalent non-white person. But you baulk at calling it a privilege, because life is still tough.

I'm meandering a bit here, don't really have an overarching point. Part of me thinks it's a PR exercise : come up with a less contentious namefor it. But part of me thinks the discomfort is the point: we should squirm about the disparity.

Associate
And it's interesting, in general, how uncomfortable people are with being labelled "privileged"
I think it's because - certainly in the UK, not so sure about elsewhere - we tend to think of being Privileged (big P) with being a toffy nosed inbred. It makes it sounds like you had it easy - and if people have struggled in life, I can see how they wouldn't like that implication. White privilege isn't really that good a term for it as it's not about having a bonus - an additional thing that other people don't have - it's about *not* having a disadvantage - as you said above (paraphrasing), no matter what other struggles you have in life, you won't have to face racism on top of that. I guess "not having to face racism" is a bit of a mouthful though.

Soldato
What if you've seen it in action?

Like, in my first two trainee accountant roles, at small practices, both would throw out CVs of 'foreign sounding' names.

These are professional roles which, unlike the higher end of the accounting market (dominated by wealthy kids), is otherwise open to working class young people (like I was), but is shutting out non-white people in many cases.

What did you do about that?

If the answer is "nothing", you're part of the problem.

Man of Honour
But part of me thinks the discomfort is the point: we should squirm about the disparity.
If that's the aim then they fundamentally don't understand human nature. Most people in this country want to help the underdog and under priviliged (granted, not everyone). So calling it a minority disadvantage is likely to cause many people to want to change things to help them. But calling it white privilege is like pointing at those same people who could help and insinuating they are the problem and to blame. It just causes resentment and for people to turn their backs. It causes the same problem it may be designed to fix.

Soldato
I’d be more inclined to listen to the large number of black people, and other minorities, that say racism exists rather than White people who say it does not.

It’s the same as the issue with male violence against women. Talk to men, it doesn’t exist (relatively). Talk to women, it’s a huge issue.

Caporegime
I’d be more inclined to listen to the large number of black people, and other minorities, that say racism exists rather than White people who say it does not.

It’s the same as the issue with male violence against women. Talk to men, it doesn’t exist (relatively). Talk to women, it’s a huge issue.

Wait...people are claiming something disadvantages them as an attempt to gain an advantage? There's certainly no agenda to that!

Soldato
Has this actually....turned into a fairly sane and reasonable discussion about 'white privilege'.....in GD? :eek:

The term itself clearly triggers a lot of people, and provides fuel to these vacuous outrage merchants that have taken over the Tory party, but the principle is indisputable....so find another phrase to use.

Minority disadvantage as suggested, works well.

Soldato
There are loads of terms that are deliberately misleading to the general public, they should all be illegal.
white privilege
gender pay gap
affordable housing
feminist
blm
minority
the name of every think tank ever

Soldato
What did you do about that?

If the answer is "nothing", you're part of the problem.
Well, clearly. I took my white privilege and cashed it in for a professional career. I wasn't in a position, coming from a poor background with no professional contacts, to risk rocking the boat, but that doesn't put my silence in the morally "right" category.

Taking that experience to illustrate to people, now, that such structural racism exists doesn't necessarily level that moral debt, but it might help improve attitudes.

If I hadn't borne witness to the admission of such CV filtering (******* shameless they were), I'd not even realise I'd benefitted - I'd imagine many others have not had such overt examples, so can understand them not seeing the problem so easily.

Caporegime
Well, clearly. I took my white privilege and cashed it in for a professional career. I wasn't in a position, coming from a poor background with no professional contacts, to risk rocking the boat, but that doesn't put my silence in the morally "right" category.

Taking that experience to illustrate to people, now, that such structural racism exists doesn't necessarily level that moral debt, but it might help improve attitudes.

If I hadn't borne witness to the admission of such CV filtering (******* shameless they were), I'd not even realise I'd benefitted - I'd imagine many others have not had such overt examples, so can understand them not seeing the problem so easily.

The key you're missing though is some minorities have been advantaged to the benefit of some white people.
The key being some.

Soldato

Back when I was at the beginning of my professional career, I also witnessed foreign sounding CVs getting filtered out "Not a good fit" was the justification.

If I saw it happening now, people would be getting sacked....but not everyone is always in a position to rock the boat.

Caporegime

How long ago was this exactly?

Back
Top Bottom