Tory MP Sir David Amess murdered

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
A man is fighting for his life after a horrifying attack, could we not leave the political squabbling until at least something is known?
Not here, unfortunately. Which side he is on and how the media react are more important to some a few minutes after the attack.

Soldato
So it's OK as long as the hate is directed towards Labour mps?

Don't put words in my mouth, that's exactly what you're trying to do.

If you look at all social media. The extreme left-wing run around unfetted calling Tories scum, evil, heartless and suggesting how they would like to deal with them in a threatening manner. Left-wing MP's, in contrast, are just simply laughed at, there is a huge difference between the two and you know it.

It's time to call out these people and put a stop to it.

Soldato
Left-wing MP's, in contrast, are just simply laughed at

Apart from the ones murdered by the extreme right-wing of course....

there is a huge difference between the two and you know it

You'll have to explain that difference to me

It's time to call out these people and put a stop to it.

Well, quite, all extremists need to be stopped, so it's odd you only seem to focus on one side while hand wavingly dismiss the other.

Soldato
Judging by his voting record there could be a long list of reasons he was attacked.
https://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/10009/david_amess/southend_west/votes

There shouldn't be any reason he should be attacked.

Whenever anyone puts themselves in the public and holds a certain view a sizable amount of people will be against it.

I think its disgusting that this attack abused the system for meeting MP's. The eventual effect will be none of us will be able to physically see our MP in the future.

Yep, thoroughly horrible human-being

If you don't know him personally what qualifies you to type something like that? This is precisely what triggers people with weak minds to take things a step further. It is comments like that which incite violence.

Soldato
Yep, thoroughly horrible human-being, that said obviously nobody deserves to be attacked let alone stabbed for their beliefs.
Hopefully he will pull through and make a full recovery.

What your conveniently glossing over is his constituents democratically opted for him to represent what they want. The political system is what needs to be preserved and not people taking the law into their own hands.

Caporegime
What your conveniently glossing over is his constituents democratically opted for him to represent what they want. The political system is what needs to be preserved and not people taking the law into their own hands.

This country has been on a path to mob rule, terrorism and vigilantism for quite some time now, when trust in institutions erode individuals act on their own prejudices.

A lack of genuine change will continue to foment it.

Caporegime
It seems they don't have much in the way of security at these things, something that will probably have to change.

Which would increase the distance between constituent and politician bringing about further dehumanisation as well as othering.

An inevitable short term solution, but the bigger issue is the rotten state of our society.

Soldato
This country has been on a path to mob rule, terrorism and vigilantism for quite some time now, when trust in institutions erode individuals act on their own prejudices.

A lack of genuine change will continue to foment it.

It's not trust that's eroded it's the fact that Labour couldn't command their way out of a paper bag, hence can't get into power and their extremist followers decide to take things into their own hands.

Caporegime
It's not trust that's eroded it's the fact that Labour couldn't command their way out of a paper bag, hence can't get into power and their extremist followers decide to take things into their own hands.

Trust hasn't eroded in the press? government? police? judiciary? really?

Man of Honour
What an absolute disgrace; I'm sure I don't agree with many of Amess' views but this is just horriffic; no way to behave. Hopefully he pulls through.
I have to say I know more about him from Brass Eye than Westminster....

Soldato
If you don't know him personally what qualifies you to type something like that?

His voting record strongly suggests he is a homophobe or at the very least doesn't think gay people should have the same rights as everyone else.

Ohh and he also doesn't believe in equality and human rights :rolleyes:

So yeah I think his a vile human being, however again I have to state the damn obvious because what appears to be projection from others who cannot seem to understand that you can thoroughly despise someone and at the same time wish them no physical harm.

Associate
Awful, hope he pulls through.

It seems they don't have much in the way of security at these things, something that will probably have to change.

These sorts of events are really rare. I can think of three other attacks on MPs in my lifetime that didn't involve the IRA and there are big stretches of time between them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom