Tory MP Sir David Amess murdered

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Any political view held should never lead to this sort of attack. It's an attack on the democracy.

Absolutely, and I can't imagine there will be a single person ITT who disagrees with that

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
Yep, if you were an MP, would you do it?

I know I wouldn't.

Absolutely I would. Our politicians must be accessible. Unfortunately there is always risk, there is more risk for plenty of other careers. No one should be attacked at work, but this shouldn’t put our elected representatives in a locked room away from their electorate.
I believe that most go into public office to help those in their communities (though some won’t) and these people appreciate these risks.

Soldato
This country is on a fast downhill trajectory.

I think it goes deeper than that unfortunately. Look at how divisive it's got over the pond, this 'culture war' crap is destabilising western democracy. With the fires probably being intentionally fanned on SM by all the foreign influences.

Pet Northerner
Don
RIP

Note to all - A man has just been killed for doing his job, please have some ******* tact for at least one thread. Please don't make us have to lock it down due to petty squabbles.

Soldato
How many more will it take before all sides reign in the rhetoric.

You can only hope this will snap some people's heads back and think twice calling people scum. Unfortunately when you have certain MP's doing the name-calling themselves, it normalizes this behavior.

Soldato
I think it goes deeper than that unfortunately. Look at how divisive it's got over the pond, this 'culture war' crap is destabilising western democracy. With the fires probably being intentionally fanned on SM by all the foreign influences.

The west is in decline and it is probably terminal

Soldato
Depressing news to start with and an even more depressing update, no doubt to be followed up with some utterly pathetic reasoning/excuse from perpetrator.

RIP.

There goes any chance of meeting your MP in the future.

It didn't change when Jo Cox got shot before a constituents surgery and i'd expect a similar 'we won't be made to cower in fear' response from most MPs again now.

Man of Honour
A man has been murdered in our supposed civilised society and that is another tragedy for a family, friends and colleagues. Turning this into a debate about politics, beliefs and mostly opinions is not something I wish to partake for that is the domain of the permanently angry.

RIP.

Caporegime
You can only hope this will snap some people's heads back and think twice calling people scum. Unfortunately when you have certain MP's doing the name-calling themselves, it normalizes this behavior.

Might also do if some people stop calling others traitors and enemies of the people.

Soldato
Horrible news about his passing, thoughts with his family & friends.

I would say I'm surprised but sadly I'm not, year after year of divisive identity politics and hatred is obviously a catalyst for horrific violent extremism like this

Transmission breaker
Don
Let's keep this thread respectful.

A man has been murdered in our supposed civilised society and that is another tragedy for a family, friends and colleagues. Turning this into a debate about politics, beliefs and mostly opinions is not something I wish to partake for that is the domain of the permanently angry.

RIP.
+1
Mods are watching the thread and members will face action for unacceptable comments, derailing, trolling or poor taste posting.
Just a reminder.

Caporegime
Not surprised the alleged killer is young. The disenfranchisement that the young feel from the Tory government is palpable. Honestly surprised we haven't seen more attacks.

What do you expect though when you have a government that shows nothing but contempt for large sections of society?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom