Total EPB failure (!)

Associate
Well that was the fun warning I had come on my new car (Focus C-max) after I stalled it.
Had no handbreak at all the whole jounrey from work to the garage, and a nice loud beeping the whole 35minute drive, and a flashing warning.
I get it to the garage I got it from, park it up, and the garage owner's already been on the phone to friends at ford, who claim it just needs resetting, so he tried to do it himself but to avail, so its off to ford to be reset tomorrow morning, and my car for the time being is a Daewoo Lanos (I think) which has to the be worse car ever made! Its a good laugh to drive though.
So then I get a phone call from him saying its now fixed itself lol, I'm still having it checked out though.
What ever happend to a normal handbreak :rolleyes:
Anyone else seen problems with fords electronic handbreak system?
(EPB = Electronic Parking Break)

Soldato
It really worries me sometimes, all these cars are having electronic this and that, what happens in 15-20 years time when they are onto the 4th, 5th, 6th owner etc and outside the warranty periods :rolleyes:

Man of Honour
Phil W said:
It really worries me sometimes, all these cars are having electronic this and that, what happens in 15-20 years time when they are onto the 4th, 5th, 6th owner etc and outside the warranty periods :rolleyes:

All the small faults like this are usually fixed by the time the warrenties out.

Soldato
DannyW said:
All the small faults like this are usually fixed by the time the warrenties out.

I don't think anybody can vouch for how reliable a car with all the electronic gizmo's will be in 20 years time. I could be wrong and they could have come a long way since other old cars, but i just can't see it.

Man of Honour
I'm all for cool electronic gizmos but some things, like electronic handbrakes, just seem un-neccesarily complicated. Why do we need them?

Caporegime
Firestar_3x said:
Really, cause i can list you a shed load that don't.

Infact i've only driven one that does.

i think by "new" he means cars that are just being released

a lot of cars that have their "new models" either this year or last year have included EPB

mondeo included ...

Soldato
[TW]Fox said:
I'm all for cool electronic gizmos but some things, like electronic handbrakes, just seem un-neccesarily complicated. Why do we need them?

We don't, they are simply ridiculous. In fact I'm frankly surprised that manufacturers are allowed to replace a simple, reliable, mechanical system that operates your secondary braking system with a stupid, pointless and unreliable electonic system.

Caporegime
Fair enough, i really don't see the point in them, its an answer to a question that was never asked, i actually find them harder to use.

Also whats the failsafe, parked on a hill EPB on, get out of car walk away, electrics fail or something and wham car goes down the hill.

The only one i've used is in the new passat, you can hear the motors working its a pita tbh.

Man of Honour
Septh said:
All new cars come with electronic handbreaks now apparently :(

Actually very few really do.

Off the top of my head I can think of the Focus Cmax, the VW Passat, a few Renaults..

Even new BM's still have a proper handbrake.

Associate
OP
You can hear the motors working in the C-max too, there's are fail safe in the C-max that means once the EPB is on if it fails, it won't come off, unless you pull release handle (which is a one time only thing), but if it fails when its not on, your left with no handbreak.
It is harder to use, cool when you explain it to people but a hill start in it is bloody hard!
They only come on the top spec cars, eg ghia etc, but it is a common thing now, my C-max is a 2004 and it's got one lol

Man of Honour
I found the electronic handbrake in a Megane Scenic immensely frustrating, especially trying to reverse park into a very tight space on a hill. I wanted to take it apart with an axe by the end of that.

Soldato
Lopéz said:
I found the electronic handbrake in a Megane Scenic immensely frustrating, especially trying to reverse park into a very tight space on a hill. I wanted to take it apart with an axe by the end of that.

I'm slightly hesitant to ask...but did you try using the handbrake as god intended? :D

Adz

Adz

Soldato
I like the EPB on my A6, especially the way it disengages itself when you pull away. It really did throw a fit after the rolling road day though when it was run with the handbrake on (FWD). So many lights and error messages but the drive to the pub sorted it all out pretty quickly.

While it's a cool gadget, I agree that it's pretty pointless.

Back
Top Bottom