touch arriving monday how can i watch videos

Soldato
I take it I can just upload the videos to my itunes and sync or are there 3rd party apps that can play better video than apple's inbuilt player?

Also what format does the ipod take?

excuse my noobness but this is my first apple purchase I had PSP before this.

(infact I still have a PSP which I'm desperately looking to sell lol)

Last edited:
Associate
I'd say use the inbuilt player for h.264 files as the iPhone/Touch have hardware decoding for h.264.

If you are on a Mac then handbrake is pretty good for converting videos: http://handbrake.fr/

On a PC I think one of the popular apps for converting videos for PSP has an iPhone output setting.

Associate
H.264 video, up to 1.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Low-Complexity version of the H.264 Baseline Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4 and .mov file formats; H.264 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Baseline Profile up to Level 3.0 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4 and .mov file formats; MPEG-4 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4 and .mov file formats

The biggest problem with mobile devices is that the CPU is generally naff for decoding video (be it H.264, XviD/DivX, etc.) so it has to have some built in hardware support for a video standard. In the case of the iPod Touch it's H.264 :)

Soldato
OP
Guys are they planning to update the video app for itouch.

There is no support for subtitles, angles, different language options or anything :( my PSP was much better for that type of support. It's a great tool for watching vids but the video application is really lacking any options :(

Back
Top Bottom