Toyo Snowprox S942 vs Goodyear Ultra Grip 8 [Winter Tyres]

Soldato
Anyone used either of these tyres?

Just wondering whether the difference in cost £174 (Toyo) vs £216 (Goodyear) is worth paying? They will be fitted to a Citroen Saxo for the winter months. The Toyo's would be bought via Blackcircles and the Goodyear via Openeo - both of which I've never used so might be worth taking this into consideration.

Look forward to hearing people's thoughts on the tyres and companies in question :)

Permabanned
What size are you running????

My 17" Winter tyres only cost £150 each for Continental TS-830P.

For a 14" tyre I paid £75 each for Michelin Alipn's last year for the wifes car.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
I'd go with ContinentalWinterContact TS 830s.
And find another supplier, you're getting shafted!

www.mytyres.co.uk even do winter tyres fitted on steelies for a very reasonable price.

Soldato
OP
Tyre size are 155/70/13

Can only get Contintental WinterContact TS800, not the TS830 in that size. Not sure how they compare? I'm good for steel wheels as already bought a set 2nd hand for £10 ;)

MyTyres are more expensive for both the tyres mentioned?

Soldato
So I get the fact that Winter tyres are almost 110% going to be better than summer tyres on snow.

I seem to remember reading somewhere summer tyre roughly equals 'best above 7degrees C'. Roughly.

So, the question is, in 'normal' british winter conditions, so regular 0-10 degrees C, plenty of rain, ice, whatever, are winter tyres NOTICABLY better than a summer compound?

I would assume a top quality summer tyre wouldn't be far off a mid range winter tyre..... or am I hillariously wrong

mjt

mjt

Soldato
The only reason my dad bought winter tyres for this winter is in case we have snow (or he goes to Germany).
He doesn't want to be stuck at home if there's snow, so fair enough.

The only reason I bought winter tyres for my Leon is because I was in Norway. (and it came with a set anyway)

Associate
So are you putting on 2 or 4 tyres? 4x£216 for the goodyears is probably Limited Slip Diff conversion money, and that will give you more traction than fancy winter tyres.
I just used my "summer" tyres last year in that bad snow and never stuck it once, I put that down to the LSD.
So, yet another winter tyres, not really needed tbh are they, thread.

Soldato
Have you not seen my "who's preparing for winter thread. :D

Toyo Snowprox currently sat on the shelf waiting to go on. Similar size too but I only paid a smidge under £140

Back
Top Bottom