Toyota Yaris GR4 4x4 Rally going into production.....

OcUK Staff
Hi there

Seems Toyota are on a bit of a roll with the great Supra and now this if true:
https://www.carthrottle.com/post/th...v3S1XgH9BYNNBekzOIKe0nqE-MqBJwGcdB4ElQVRJJtr4

Apart from the rather ugly looks but its not terrible but a near 300BHP in a car that hopefully won't weigh much more than 1100kg with the engine pushed further back and double wishbones all round has surely got to be a lot of fun, a little like how the EVO 4/5/6 generations were, its manual too.

Guess only downsides is its a Yaris not exactly a good looking car and its 35-40k, but in fairness if the on paper specs translate into driving enjoyment and its limited production to me all of a sudden the price looks rather reasonable, maybe even pretty solid for residuals.

Not sure how I feel about a three cylinder engine though, suppose it might sound cool.

What do people think?

OcUK Staff
OP

Nice at under 30k it seems like a pretty cool car, am somewhat disappointed it weighs in at 1280kg, but compared to the rest of stuff on the market its a comparative lightweight, but I was dreaming of a 275BHP and around 1100kg, still I like the idea of the driving modes where all torque can be set to go rear only, sounds like it could be a lot of fun, wonder how limited the production shall be as it could be perfect replacement for the Abarth. :)

OcUK Staff
OP
Price is the main factor really. It's a shame Suzuki haven't done an Ignis Sport Alllgrip or 4wd Swift Sport.

Yeah I guess, if Toyota bring like small numbers to UK then 27k will be pennies as people will be trying to flip them for profits, it will all come down to the production numbers in the end, if they bring 500+ then 27k may limit their sales and they will drop in value, but if numbers are low then they will all get snapped up I suspect.

Soldato
3 cylinders should rev at a million rpm, many smiles per mile. Too expensive though, but ultimately homologation so those that can afford will enjoy.

Soldato
Nice at under 30k it seems like a pretty cool car, am somewhat disappointed it weighs in at 1280kg, but compared to the rest of stuff on the market its a comparative lightweight, but I was dreaming of a 275BHP and around 1100kg, still I like the idea of the driving modes where all torque can be set to go rear only, sounds like it could be a lot of fun, wonder how limited the production shall be as it could be perfect replacement for the Abarth. :)

Like many cars, four wheel drive just ruins the weight of it, so i'm not surprised it's a bit lardy. But short wheelbase, 200hp-per-tonne, it would be bags of fun. That manual is suppose to be really nice too.

Looks like you have to pay extra for the Torsen LSD, as part of the "Circuit Pack".

Soldato
Like many cars, four wheel drive just ruins the weight of it, so i'm not surprised it's a bit lardy.

I wouldn't call it lardy, really, particularly these days. It weighs about the same as an old Delta Integrale, which is no mean feat for a modern hatch – and it's basically the same as a Fiesta ST. And it's a few hundred kilos lighter than a 718. :D

You get two Torsens in the Circuit Pack, too – one at each end. :cool:

Torque distribution can only be set by the driver to 30/70 at most, not all to the rear, IIRC. There's been a misinterpretation of the press materials somewhere, I think. Still, that'll deliver the desired feel.

Waiting for the pre-order page to materialise, myself. Won't be for a while, though.

Last edited:
Soldato
Looks good fun and I think the shape/styling looks good too. I had an Aygo courtesy car recently when my old runabout Yaris was in for a repair and liked the sound of the 3 pot around town. Was only a 1 litre NA so power wise it was a bit ****. Felt slower than my old 4 cyl 1 litre Yaris although the low to mid range might be better.
Might consider one but next main car really needs to have four doors and I can't see me wanting to replace the MX-5 I bought new last year as a fun toy with one, as much fun as the new Yaris sounds.
As for old Grannies, they do have that image but I find the 1st gen Yaris actually quite fun. The brakes are great but the steerign isn't. At 800kg it's still fun around corners...….if you can get enough speed up to take them fast enough :D.

The knob to control the front/rear wheel drive bias sounds good, with 70% rear to 30% front sounding the most interesting.

Last edited:
Soldato
Price will make or break this car, and given the work that went into it, it'll probably be the latter unless they are willing to take a big hit on some subsidised lease deals.

Personally I'd love one, but I am not in a position to buy a new car.

Soldato
Agree with above, I think it will be £33ish or so. If its £27k then good on them, but I think there will still be enough buyers if its more expensive.

Good on Toyota, doing some fun that we dont get normally

Soldato
I think it'll need to be closer to £30K than £35K given the price of the Audi S1.

But, if this ends up as a limited special, then they can charge silly money and they'll sell regardless.

Back
Top Bottom