Toyota Yaris GR4 4x4 Rally going into production.....

Soldato
5 cylinder have a nice off beat thrum, well the Volvo based engines did, be it petrol or diesel in a Volvo or a Ford.... I suspect they have a lot of balance shaft weights as well to smooth them out. I was told once that a straight 6 was mathematically the most even/smooth design, certainly my experience so far having had 3,4,5 and 6 pot engines.
The 3 pot GR engine is just “gruff” not particularly refined, for sure it’s very effective and impressive little lump. Need to drive a Fiesta ST to compare, as that is another zippy 3 pot.

Re comparing performance with tuning box etc, absolutely must keep the same number of passengers when comparing test drives, adding another 80+kg person to the weight will be significant in a light car like the GR, would really knock the edge of the response I would say.

Man of Honour
I hadn't watched the video when I posted it, but now I have it's interesting how he references the body roll I talked about and implies it's less of car (opinion) as removing the movement is part of its character. Seems the one drove wasn't that broken. :)

Associate
A good video and makes some good points. It does also look lovely in green.

I do like the playful "OEM" suspension and making it supremely focused isn't my bag. But it does seem as though Litchfield has done a good job.

OcUK Staff
OP
I hadn't watched the video when I posted it, but now I have it's interesting how he references the body roll I talked about and implies it's less of car (opinion) as removing the movement is part of its character. Seems the one drove wasn't that broken. :)

I guess that is why the lean/movement does not bother me because in a road car I enjoy that movement and feel it gives, As I said in a previous post if my intention was to track it often or build someting crazy fast by all means, wider stickier wheel/tyres, coilovers and more power, but for me as a road car its bang on and the car absolutely mobs roundabouts and b-roads with ease and great fun. :)

Man of Honour
I think a softer set up suits the cars intention too. If you were going for a fast track car, you would not start at a Yaris.

Soldato
Steady state lateral weight transfer is not body roll, which is why, fortunately, he is smart enough not use the phrase "body roll", because it's not body roll. It's wobble. Far more technical. :D

Associate
But you could have had green!

It is a shame resale value plays any part in it, I'd have the green in a heartbeat. Or solarbeam yellow, wasn't that a GTR colour choice as well?

Caporegime
YJ62BRj.jpg

Yup, crap colour :)

They are always exceptions! But equally i do think your car looks better in other available colours than the grey even if it does look good.

Grey is just at peak trend atm. It will be other colours in 3-4 years time. I remember when everybody was getting white cars. You dont see many people speccing white cars anymore

Back
Top Bottom