Toyota Yaris GR4 4x4 Rally going into production.....

OcUK Staff
OP
GsYOGjI.jpg

Obviously take with a large pinch of salt as different rolling roads give different figures and no before run to see the difference but pretty happy with that figure for a 258bhp car with an exhaust.

Very strong result, but it is common knowledge these cars all tend to produce circa 275ish on rolling roads, its fair to say on a turbo car a decent exhaust will give 10-20HP also, I'd say your car is probably crying out for a tuning box maybe, ONLY DTUK may I advice, Toyota will also fit this brand as well under warranty, suspect you would be around 310-320HP then on same dyno in same conditions. May I ask where you ran the car? Also I've noticed as the miles have gone on mine it now feels stronger.

It is a shame proper tuning is so limited, but SVM I think are running around 415HP now, can only imagine how crazy that must feel in such a small light car.

Soldato
Very strong result, but it is common knowledge these cars all tend to produce circa 275ish on rolling roads, its fair to say on a turbo car a decent exhaust will give 10-20HP also, I'd say your car is probably crying out for a tuning box maybe, ONLY DTUK may I advice, Toyota will also fit this brand as well under warranty, suspect you would be around 310-320HP then on same dyno in same conditions. May I ask where you ran the car? Also I've noticed as the miles have gone on mine it now feels stronger.

It is a shame proper tuning is so limited, but SVM I think are running around 415HP now, can only imagine how crazy that must feel in such a small light car.

RE Performance in Swindon. RR was done by previous owner at end of March and I’d guess with 1000 miles or so on the clock as it’s a mid-Feb car.

Few posts on the GR Yaris forum of engines loosening up and performance/economy improving as the miles go up.

No real interest in chasing engine performance as it’s plenty fast enough for me already. I have Fensport pretty local to me so might consider a set of springs depending on what it does to the warranty.

OcUK Staff
OP
RE Performance in Swindon. RR was done by previous owner at end of March and I’d guess with 1000 miles or so on the clock as it’s a mid-Feb car.

Few posts on the GR Yaris forum of engines loosening up and performance/economy improving as the miles go up.

No real interest in chasing engine performance as it’s plenty fast enough for me already. I have Fensport pretty local to me so might consider a set of springs depending on what it does to the warranty.

Handling wise I’m not touching a thing, out the box it’s such a damn capable road car and has great comfort too.

If your gonna track it then absolutely as on track the softer setup is a slight issue, car would really benefit from some coilovers and a wider stickier tyre setup like 265’s all round and something like AR1’s, be a pretty impressive track weapon then but in stock form they are incredible on the road and I’m leaving mine as is.

Soldato

Interestingly I dynod mine there when I first got it and got a very good result.
Chucked my stock car on the dyno yesterday, just out of boredom really.

pXDXqPV.jpg
p0XYp2I.jpg

Very pleasant surprise. This was the best of 3 runs, others were 286 & 288.

Don’t think I’ll ever bother with power mods, but I would really like the roof put back to forged and probably adjustable springs to sort the ride height /corner weighting.

Associate
I am deffo in the @Gibbo camp for the handling. I love it stock, it has got a bit of body movement and is more than compliant enough. I did the M20, M25, M3 slog back home last week and it munched the miles perfectly. The only minor downside, which isn't really that bad when you get used to it is the tyre roar.

Soldato
Handling wise I’m not touching a thing, out the box it’s such a damn capable road car and has great comfort too.

If your gonna track it then absolutely as on track the softer setup is a slight issue, car would really benefit from some coilovers and a wider stickier tyre setup like 265’s all round and something like AR1’s, be a pretty impressive track weapon then but in stock form they are incredible on the road and I’m leaving mine as is.

The one I went in the other week had some mods from Litchfield, included a track handling package I believe, I have no reference on what a stock car is like but this handled very very well.

Caporegime
The Yaris doesn’t even look damaged (I’m sure it will be, bumper at least).
Well no. A wheel hit another wheel and so the rotating wheel went up and flipped the car. Nothing at all to do with the cars. Just physics of two circles touching.

if the Yaris wasn’t plastic then the tyres wouldn’t have been able to do that… May aswell be a open wheel race car for all the protection that rear arch offers.

Caporegime
Well, no. It’s literally on the video. The Disco hit the rear three quarter of the Yaris. It wasn’t wheel on wheel.
I saw the video. Of course it did. How else did it flip? The rear track of that Yaris is massive versus the original body in white design. They covered the wheels with plastic to comply with U.K. laws but it’s no where as substantial as a full width car.

A car doesn’t flip from impact. Have you not seen F1 and how cars end up on top of each other ?

Associate
A car doesn’t flip from impact. Have you not seen F1 and how cars end up on top of each other ?

It certainly does flip from impact, it's pure physics, energy has to go somewhere, normally absorbed in body parts and crash structures but in this case looks like the suv took it up in its suspension and let it out as it was about to go over the yaris wheel, I have seen a similar roll with some old codgers doing a left turn at a crossroads in a Nissan Primera clipping the kerb, couldn't have been doing more than 10-15 miles an hour.

It's a pretty amusing site obviously once you know everyone is OK, it's not something you ever expect to see.

Makes the Yaris look like an immovable object

Soldato
That’s the point. The wheels clashing means the energy has to do down away from the discovery, The Yaris can’t move down through tarmac, the wheel isn’t going to crush so the Discovery Sport goes up. Helped by the fact it’s a larger wheel diameter too. There is no crush or collapse mechanism, just redirection.

Back
Top Bottom