Toyota Yaris GR4 4x4 Rally going into production.....

Soldato
Had another recall today for front radar. Just me? That's two so far
Yeah I’ve had that too. Went in last week to get it done and they couldn’t do it because of the internet not working, I gave up and came home. My adaptive cruise is working fine so I’m loathe to waste another morning trying to get it sorted, will wait until service unless they really start nagging me.

Man of Honour
I am bringing my mates modified GR back from London on Thursday night. Car has Ohlins dampers and a bespoke exhaust which needs some tweaks so I offered to bring it north. Will give me a little more time in the car to form an opinion.

It handled itself well in Wales when we did our road trip last week and the fact the owner has both a 720 and 675 McLaren and took the Yaris is telling. On 50% of the roads the Yaris was the better car I’d argue due to its size and focus on others it’s lack of outright pace showed itself compared to my GTR.

Man of Honour
I have this thing for the weekend as I am dropping it off for a friend on Monday to have some work done to its bespoke exhaust. I drove it around 140 miles last night, mainly motorway and them local roads I know well for around 5 miles.

7ztL9pE.jpg

This car is running a fully bespoke exhaust and Nitrons (not Ohlins) and feels very very sharp, the roll is significantly reduced. The ride is much stiffer as to be expected, but it makes a very very dynamic car on the right roads, tiring on the wrong ones.

The seats, for me, are still poor. Too short under my leg, lacking in support on the corners, too high (I am long body so also a me issue) and not that comfy BUT, I now get the appeal having driven this one on the right roads (and following 3 of them for 2 days solid). It is VERY fast on tight confine roads and the steering on this car very dynamic and the biggest surprise, love the brake feel.

Gearbox makes me realise (sorry) that I am past the manual thing. Give me paddles now, I've lost the gearbox mojo finally (@Tax Evader you were right) but I still enjoy heal toe, but it feel so sluggish nowadays.

Not a me car still, but I can see why others enjoy them. The way it puts its power down, sticks and moves around are really sorted. Great brakes, great steering (might be helped by Nitrons as it felt better than I recall) and fun on the right roads. This one is boomy at motorways speeds and moves around on cambers so tiring but get it on the right roads, epic fun.

OcUK Staff
OP
I have this thing for the weekend as I am dropping it off for a friend on Monday to have some work done to its bespoke exhaust. I drove it around 140 miles last night, mainly motorway and them local roads I know well for around 5 miles.

7ztL9pE.jpg

This car is running a fully bespoke exhaust and Nitrons (not Ohlins) and feels very very sharp, the roll is significantly reduced. The ride is much stiffer as to be expected, but it makes a very very dynamic car on the right roads, tiring on the wrong ones.

The seats, for me, are still poor. Too short under my leg, lacking in support on the corners, too high (I am long body so also a me issue) and not that comfy BUT, I now get the appeal having driven this one on the right roads (and following 3 of them for 2 days solid). It is VERY fast on tight confine roads and the steering on this car very dynamic and the biggest surprise, love the brake feel.

Gearbox makes me realise (sorry) that I am past the manual thing. Give me paddles now, I've lost the gearbox mojo finally (@Tax Evader you were right) but I still enjoy heal toe, but it feel so sluggish nowadays.

Not a me car still, but I can see why others enjoy them. The way it puts its power down, sticks and moves around are really sorted. Great brakes, great steering (might be helped by Nitrons as it felt better than I recall) and fun on the right roads. This one is boomy at motorways speeds and moves around on cambers so tiring but get it on the right roads, epic fun.

For me as a road car, just leave them stock, its only as a circuit car its kind of weak in the stock circui pack configuration, which is something has surprised me why so many owners seem keen to track them as when it comes to track / circuits the Honda Civic and Renault hot hatches tend to work much better on circuit out the box. The Yaris is far more like the Subaru and Mitsubishi of old, designed to absolutely destroy a British B road and this they do so well.

As a track day car, buy something else or as your pal had done throw on decent coilovers, also fit a wider wheel setup with stickier tyre and throw in a set of bucket seats and then it will be quite a formidable track car. Then add power as it desperately needs a power boost for faster circuits.

Man of Honour
It is going to Spa and the Ring (private day) in May and is going to be tracked.

We ran a tuned GR side by side with a standard car......zero difference.

So much smoke and mirrors in the 'tuning' world.

Soldato
The stand out feature for me is how confidence inspiring it is on bumpy awkward bits of road. The body never feels like it's getting away from the wheels, if you know what I mean. I actually find the seats super comfy but agree they need some more bolstering. The gear change is also really nice (nicer than my GT4 which is saying a lot).

Man of Honour
The stand out feature for me is how confidence inspiring it is on bumpy awkward bits of road. The body never feels like it's getting away from the wheels, if you know what I mean. I actually find the seats super comfy but agree they need some more bolstering. The gear change is also really nice (nicer than my GT4 which is saying a lot).
Yes it is well planted. It is a friends car, so miles of the limit but I'd argue still 'enough' the challenge the car. I have a road I know like the back of my hand. Twisty, tight, very bumpy and cambers from hell and it really did nail that road last night when I passed through. Impressive and as you said it seems to be hard to unsettle. My Merc for example would move around more on the same road. In Wales they were quick as all of use on the tight stuff, only when the road opened up or tight bend into long straight were the power of the faster cars left them.....for dead.

Soldato
I think the technique people use is pester a range of dealers all over the country. Or there are a few nice used ones about, a quicker option.

Had mine a year now, still a bit undecided whether to keep or move on or a little mod’ing
Think I'm gonna have to up my game.

I have looked at used, but I don't wanna go down that route and then end up having my dealer ring me and tell me I can have a cancelled order, which would be my luck!

Soldato
Yeah most dealers are now paying the £500 fine for holding on to cancelled orders, then selling them at a premium. There is a big waiting list now too which is where cancelled orders should go.

Back
Top Bottom