TP-Link Omada install

Soldato
Hi All,

Thinking of upgrading my home network and have two access points at each end of the house. Bungalow so running cables in the roofspace is no problem

Just couple of questions is Cat 6 soild U/UTP suitable for POE? getting various answers while googling.

My basket currently looks like.

TP-Link EAP610 WiFi 6 Access Point (1775Mbps AX) x2​

TP-Link TL-SG2210P V3 JetStream 8-Port Smart Managed Desktop Gigabit PoE+ Switch w/ 2 x 1Gbps SFP Ports (58W)​

TP-Link ER605 (TL-R605) Triple-WAN Broadband VPN Router​

TP-Link OC200 Omada 2-Port On-Premises Controller​

Excel CAT6 Solid U/UTP Ethernet Cable Reel, 305m, White, LSZH, Boxed​

Soldato
Ah, Sir likes the special cable? Of course. I have gold plated anti-crosstalk untwisted with extra untwistedness just for you. CAT10. New standard. Not many people have head of it. Lubricated with snake oil.

That Excel cable is pretty much as good as it comes. If you’re new to terminating cables leave yourself a bit extra so you can redo it a couple of times. That pretty much guarantees you won’t need to. If you just cut it the perfect length then you’ll fluff it and need to run another cable.

And I’m sure you know to run everything back to sockets or a small patch panel rather than terminating anything with RJ45 plugs. Crack on!

Soldato
OP
Cheers.

Yes surveillance does appeal to me at a later date.

Had my eye on unifi for a few years now but availability and lower cost for Omada has swung me.

Soldato
There’s nothing wrong with Omada. It’s basically a clone of UniFi v4.0 and none the worse for that. TP-Link is slightly unfashionable but again, none the worse for that. We’ve installed Omada systems and they work very well.

Associate
Just my 2 pence, the TP link Omada stuff is great, I have basically the same setup as you are putting together except with EAP225's and 1 external AP, I set it up and have never needed to look back at it, its never stopped working, the kids never moan about wifi , internet etc, I max out my 350Mb virgin connection everywhere.

Soldato
I'm waiting for the EAP650-Wall to become available, looks interesting and it's nice and compact.
It depends whether you want a bigger ecosystem. We do Omada on budget installs but we’d always rather do UniFi.

1. Fixed margin means more profit on higher priced equipment
2. it is slightly better in terms of performance.

And I wouldn’t buy the router from either of them. Mikrotik or Untangle for me!

Soldato
And I wouldn’t buy the router from either of them. Mikrotik or Untangle for me!

Do you know if the Omada ecosystem, similar to UniFi, requires a TP Link/Omada router for the dashboard andstats to fully populate and certain features to work?

I hear great things about Mikrotik, Untangle, Pfsense etc for a router. But in a Unifi or Omada ecosystem, it seems incomplete if you don't use their router as well?

Soldato
For the full stats, yes but the dashboard on Untangle makes the others look prehistoric and it’s a proper Edge Threat Management system. The things that UniFi and Omada play at with regard to security Untangle does properly. But if you just want a stateful inspection firewall the Omada is as good as anything else.

Associate
I'm waiting for the EAP650-Wall to become available, looks interesting and it's nice and compact.
I haven't looked, but just be cautious here, these are designed for hotels etc, I purchased the old version Wall AP as I thought it was the perfect solution for my sons bedroom, but the firmware for these is set to prevent it from joining the site as the other AP's and allow roaming, it's intended as a standalone AP (ie, one in each hotel room etc ). The new one might have more options, like I say check.

Soldato
OP
Have this installed now for two weeks.

No dead spots in the house and semi good coverage out in the back and front garden's.

No more runing around reseting home plugs and Wi-Fi extenders.

Bit of a chav install atm up and down aerial sockets and the telephone ducting but it will do until I build a home cinema.

Back
Top Bottom