TP Link Omada stand-alone setup

Associate
Hi all,

Just wanted to ask if I am able to setup 1 tp-link Omada access point in our house.

Is there a standalone mode like unify ? Don’t particularly need a full setup at the moment as everything is wireless except my gaming pc.

Trying to decide what access point would be best, I am in a brick 3 bed semi detached. Ideally would like to try get 1 to cover everything.

Any recommendations would be great. I don’t really know anything about Omada

Associate
Without knowing the layout of your house, i feel its optimistic to think that 1 single Access Point will give 100% coverage to the whole of your house, it will depend on what your expectation is, i have 3 AP's and live in a mid-terrace house, thick awkward walls etc.

Soldato
I have to agree with @Bobcat - it's very hard to recommend something without seeing a layout.

In general, a single ceiling mounted access point in the middle of the ceiling above the stairwell gives excellent 2.4GHz coverage throughout most UK homes. 5GHz coverage tends to be excellent upstairs and reasonable on the ground floor. You might get a bit of coverage outside but don't expect much coverage of the front and back gardens unless you're very lucky with the location of windows.

Associate
OP
Hi all,

Thank you so much for that. So just to give a bit of context.

I have just moved in, currently I am using 1 x tp-link deco in the 3rd bedroom. My pc is in there, and I am looking to keep the router there.

It is currently giving me full coverage.

My strengths lie in pc building not so much networking. This is all a bit new to me.

Due to the road I am on in a village I will only ever get 50-80mb to the house from any ISP currently. So trying to work on a simple setup that will last me for years to come.

Had a look at unifi and Omada but wanted to go for the simplest system that’s cost effective.

Any ideas or suggestions would be amazing.

Thanks all

Back
Top Bottom