Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Soldato
Not far from crossing the 100% gains barrier on my Tesla holding. And even I wasn't early on the train, buying in Jan and topping up in Feb. Every time I think it's topped out it keeps going. No complaints of course other than the hindsight of wishing I'd put everything in to it back in Jan... preferably the cost of my Model 3...

Soldato
Not far from crossing the 100% gains barrier on my Tesla holding. And even I wasn't early on the train, buying in Jan and topping up in Feb. Every time I think it's topped out it keeps going. No complaints of course other than the hindsight of wishing I'd put everything in to it back in Jan... preferably the cost of my Model 3...

I'll be LTH for a good while yet, but looking forward any car expenses for the next 20 years will be fully funded by the rises in this alone.

Soldato
Hi there

Not traded for years, used to use NatWest but seems they don’t do it any more.

What is a good trading platform these days that is easy to use and let’s you invest and sell in real-time please with little to no delays. Also be good if software also allowed virtual trading too as was something NatWest did which was good for tracking potential shares of interest.

HL tick most of those boxes, not the cheapest depending on how regularly you intend to trade / platform cost though prices are delayed except of course at the point of quoting to buy/sell. There's not much you can't get at vs 212. Each have their perks. Virtual trading / watchlists.

You can get live pricing through ADVFN.

Soldato
Hi there

What is a good trading platform these days that is easy to use and let’s you invest and sell in real-time please with little to no delays. Also be good if software also allowed virtual trading too as was something NatWest did which was good for tracking potential shares of interest.

I only use HL for funds within an ISA or a pension, which aren't instant/have no buy or sell fees anyway, and I only use Trading212 for bog standard share trading in individual stocks outside of any wrapper.

I also use Vanguard but their fund selection is more limited depending on what you want.

Trading212 allow for virtual trading and their UI/UX is much better.

Soldato
Sorry to read about the woes at Upper Crust, but as a Greggs’ share holder, not so sad at all. Commodities continue to shine in my portfolio. Gold at $1800 and copper on the move. Lovely stuff. Portfolio probably at ATH following dividend at AAZ (ex dividend tomorrow), so not a bad 2020 so far. Of course, S+P500 still makes no sense to me at all - almost like the world is just carrying on as usual...

Associate
Hi there

IG is broadly better than HL if you are buying shares or ETFs rather than investment funds and has all of those features.

IBKR is more advanced, probably lower fees overall but has a higher entry requirement (They want you to have more capital) so I haven't actually used it.

Associate
Just had a bit of a brain fart, but starting to think it’s not such a bad idea.

During pre Covid times, I would regularly head out with colleagues and have say a Costa/Greggs/Pret/Subway/KFC/Sainsbury’s/Starbucks meal deal and so on. Purely down to convenience than anything else.

Now how dies this relate to this thread?

Well I’m thinking of starting a competition with colleagues. Each time we avoid eating out for lunch, and make our own, we drip the cash saved into the equivalent share. Each day we would appoint a certain store/chain.

Soldato
Sorry to read about the woes at Upper Crust, but as a Greggs’ share holder, not so sad at all.

I can't see these food outlets doing well, their business depends on high footfall. People queuing means they can only serve a limited number of customers and also put some people off. Another thing is some people seem to be extra cautious now and visit these places less. I pass by a McDonalds yesterday expecting it to be busy, but it was dead. Until a new method is created to quickly and safely serve customers, their turnover will stuffer.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Just had a bit of a brain fart, but starting to think it’s not such a bad idea.

During pre Covid times, I would regularly head out with colleagues and have say a Costa/Greggs/Pret/Subway/KFC/Sainsbury’s/Starbucks meal deal and so on. Purely down to convenience than anything else.

Now how dies this relate to this thread?

Well I’m thinking of starting a competition with colleagues. Each time we avoid eating out for lunch, and make our own, we drip the cash saved into the equivalent share. Each day we would appoint a certain store/chain.
If everyone did that then they wouldn't sell much

Soldato
I can't see these food outlets doing well, their business depends on high footfall. People queuing means they can only serve a limited number of customers and also put some people off. Another thing is some people seem to be extra cautious now and visit these places less. I pass by a McDonalds yesterday expecting it to be busy, but it was dead. Until a new method is created to quickly and safely serve customers, their turnover is will stuffer.

Short term yes. Greggs will mop up the smaller businesses, mark my words!

OcUK Staff
Hi there

Got my 212 account up and running this morning and bagged some AML shares at 50.4p, but not added anything else yet.

Got a general love for Aston Martin as own one and always loved the cars. :)

Soldato
Banked a few £k in AAZ today. Not really holding for the dividend, more the share price growth. The shares I held were outside of my ISA, so I will rebuy them tomorrow on the ex-dividend drop, and forgo the dividend payment. 10% of my yearly salary in profit so going to the pub for a pint. Oh...

Soldato
Pftt.. TSLA now up to $1131. @DarrenM343 you still in?
Yep :). I never held at the price I originally bought and then bought back near the bottom, which I'm not in anyway going to call skill. Managed to trade it a few times although I lost out a little when I sold about halfway back up and had to buy back a little higher (not much) when my predicted downturn was invalidated.
Was meant to buy and hold originally. Not even sure right now if will just hold - the market is very weird atm. Am sure will keep a holding though, even if I reduce it at some point.

US stocks so far have done well for me, better than the UK **** :D. AMZN and MSFT being two notable others I've held throughout and topped up on. By Xmas tho, who knows where we're gonna be.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'd be tempted to sell my original stake in Tesla when I pass 100% but then I don't know what I'd reinvest that in other than Tesla. My portfolio is already diverse enough.

I guess I could use part of it to day trade Tesla instead.

Soldato
I'd be tempted to sell my original stake in Tesla when I pass 100% but then I don't know what I'd reinvest that in other than Tesla. My portfolio is already diverse enough.

I guess I could use part of it to day trade Tesla instead.
Just be ware of the additional risks of this. Costs mount for example (currency conversion notably). The main reason I traded Tesla rather than just holding was due to market conditions. When I bought near the bottom I was initially expecting a dead cat bounce. I never thought it would reach a new ATH this soon given what has happened and is still happening in the world. It all feels like prolonged bear market conditions...

Soldato

A fine idea on the face of it - except it entirely omits the current and much more challenging trading environment that most of these outlets are now facing.

I'd probably familiarise myself with the options which seem well positioned to weather the storm rather than loyally buying shares in each company in turn just 'because'.

Unless of course your aim is to YOLO rather than make a return.

Soldato
Anyone got any thoughts on the Asian market. I have a bit of money in an Asian fund, but it hasn't recovered as well as my global ones, and with the volatility over China / HK I'm wondering whether it's time to bail with just a small loss?

Back
Top Bottom