Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Associate
I got in on NIO a while ago and so far it's been really great. I don't know what the ceiling will be but with the Chinese plan to remove all combustion engines in the next decade or so, electric is looking good.

Soldato
Not totally off topic, what are peoples expectations regarding pension tax relief in light of the current economic position?

Having shelled out Furlough support and a steady decline in HM tax revenues as redundancies start to rise, does anyone here think it's withdrawal is a possibility, likely or imminent?

I smash as much as I can in to my SIPP currently and PTR is a large incentive to continue doing so. If it were to disappear salary sacrifice schemes I expect would be on the up.

I suppose on a similar tangent can anyone seeing ISA limits being reviewed in a bid to discourage saving? Then again with interest rates so abysmal I expect people would just switch to trading accounts and settle CGT.

Soldato
I don't see why they'd touch the relief on payments into pensions because otherwise there is effectively double taxation on the contributions.

Suspect we'll see changes to CGT, VAT, and maybe NICS.

I should have been clearer - additional rate tax relief rather than basic.

Seems to be an annual 'this is the year' view towards it...

Associate
I should have been clearer - additional rate tax relief rather than basic.

Seems to be an annual 'this is the year' view towards it...

I think it makes sense, especially given you can take 25% of your pension out tax free as a lump sum. Perhaps the tax relief has a diminishing return the higher you get? The other end would be difficult to change - reduce the 25% tax free withdrawal element, of max out its value if withdrawal.

A second option could be that national insurance contributions are not impacted by your pension contributions, and are based on your base salary alone. That could raise more funds at a reasonable rate.

Another option could be to close down tax havens, agree globally that tax must be paid firstly in the region in which the revenue has been earned.

A third option could be, stop sole traders paying themselves a minimum salary, and topping up their income through company dividends. There was an article in the BBC highlighting a group of builders that couldn’t cope on the furlough scheme because their salary was too low, and wouldn’t cover the cost of their 3 cars because their dividends were cut. Companies in my opinion, shouldn’t pay out dividends or bonuses to directors more than 150% of their salary.

Secondly dividends should not be paid out from a company when the remaining free cash balance is less than the value of dividend payment, or the value of debt to equity is leveraged greater than 80%.

Close out the tax loopholes.

Back to the stock market, I’ve done well with Pinterest this week, and am tempted by Netflix at current levels. Ocado is starting to become appealing too, and so is Beyond Meat, but I can’t tell if that’s just a fad.

OcUK Staff
Markets all over place, US markets are flying still, well NIO is which makes me happy.
Also CRSR are posting their earnings next Tuesday, as online sales generally seem excellent and up all round YOY I suspect they will post a set of strong results, but we shall see.
I wonder now how far NIO can go, can it go as high as some think, still seems a bit of risky one to me but its also made me a few quid so not complaining. :)

Soldato
The market is so irrational at the moment. Why did it go up yesterday?

The bobble heads say:
If Trump gets in, stonks go up;
If Biden gets in, stonks go up
If Repubs sweep, stonks go up
If dems sweep, stonks go up
If it's a house/senate mix, guess what.

There's no logic behind any of it. Given the lack of stimulus and uncertainty around the election, we should be seeing a correction right now, but this is in 2020 where the stock market roars while main street is on its knees. Bizarro stuff.

OcUK Staff
The market is so irrational at the moment. Why did it go up yesterday?

The bobble heads say:
If Trump gets in, stonks go up;
If Biden gets in, stonks go up
If Repubs sweep, stonks go up
If dems sweep, stonks go up
If it's a house/senate mix, guess what.

There's no logic behind any of it. Given the lack of stimulus and uncertainty around the election, we should be seeing a correction right now, but this is in 2020 where the stock market roars while main street is on its knees. Bizarro stuff.

Agreed, there seemed huge panic over election, every one sold out, but now they have all realised no matter who wins, normality will resume and business as usual. Anyway it has opened some opportunities. Was able to grab some CRSR at $22.50 and added more NIO at $27, gonna see where they head next week but I am eyeballing $35-40 for both but if they turn negative will sell both considering currently in profit.

Back
Top Bottom