1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mcast123, 2 Apr 2009.

1. JamesH85

Hitman

Total noob here, looking to start trading.

Aew there any particular blogs/sites you guys read daily?

I'd rally like to give this a try, was obviously starting out small.

2. Ahleckz

Capodecina

Looked at both XPEV and NIO before markets opened yesterday and thought it was worth a go. I didn't. Surely both are still going to go up... Worth a punt?

3. Trig

Soldato

Depends if you're a holder or a day trader, I got in on xpev yesterday and its nigh on 13% up at the mo, tempted to wait until the markets open, see if it hits 15 and then sell, or if it drops I'll get rid before it hits 10%.
    NIO, I tried for a bit but it didn't grab me, so I sold with a tiny profit..

Currently on my watch list I have
    xbit
    crsr
    xpev
    pltr

4. radderfire

Mobster

Hi Guys

Who do you recommend for online share dealing? I am looking for one with a nice usable interface and reasonable charges.

Is Hargreaves Lansdown good?

Thanks

5. Lopéz

Man of Honour

6. Ahleckz

Capodecina

HL for my ISA, Trading212 for fee-free share trading. HL are quite expensive for trades (but free for funds).

7. Trig

Soldato

I'm day trading on Trading212, and have long term holds on H&L..

Both are good, but it depends what you are doing, as said, H&L's fee's can be a killer for short term holds as its £12 per deal, but T212 factor a fee into their prices, really does depend on how you want to trade.

8. Tone1979

Wise Guy

I am hanging onto my NIO. I bought in very late, about 3 weeks ago, but I am still 50% up now which is astonishing.

Can't predict but with Chinese Govt investment in the company, they must be pretty certain in the company.

9. mr tommo

Soldato

Pre market today seems like a good entry point, was -10% at one point now -6%

10. Trig

Soldato

xpev still climbing..

11. DireEmblem

Hitman

How is the S&P500 near an all time high at the moment. You would think Covid hadn't happened in the US.

12. smokedog

Mobster

People seem surprised the market is constantly climbing and a few keep saying a crash is coming. But with US and UK government printing more money to keep the economy going, this will only devalue the currency, increasing the stockmarket and assets values. Can you afford to not be in the stock market right now, all on black.

13. Skillmister

Capodecina

Look at social media and it hasn't, significant numbers of people are behaving entirely as normal

14. DireEmblem

Hitman

Then comes zero and double zero!

15. Trig

Soldato

Well, lets see what happens now Biden is in, markets go wibble...

16. DireEmblem

Hitman

I doubt it, it will take a while to transfer over, and this weeks election has been dragged out that I think most of the short term is priced in.

What I'm more concerned about, is some of my social investing in UK companies. The government loan scheme is brilliant, but I also think some of my investments have taken advantage of it(for the wrong reasons), and using it as a selling point that the government would match any further crowdfunding up to 5m. I hope I'm wrong, but I would rather claim my tax relief against my income than have things drag on for an extra couple years of runway and winding up later.

Last edited: 7 Nov 2020
  17. caff

Mobster

Not sure what wibble means, but let's see. Tech stocks have leaped back in the last week.

18. smokedog

Mobster

19. Trig

Soldato

Last edited by a moderator: 9 Nov 2020
  20. Gibbo

Commissario

Can someone explain the pre-market and after hours US shares seem to have please? I noticed I cannot trade in such hours, so is it only the large institutions that trade in the pre and after hours?
    I noticed Corsair hit $29.90 this morning in pre hours and from watching the pre hours and after hours on this share before they seem to somewhat reflect actual trading hours a little.