Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Soldato
Hi guys

Anyone with a s&s ISA? From what I've read investment trusts would be Best for investing in for one of these?

I'm new to the game so still learning all the jargon such as NAV , yield etc.

I know it's more a long term game so not expecting a quick buck, would be good to see returns in one to 3 years

Can anyone tell me of their experience ?

When I started with a S&S ISA, I invested in investment funds for the first couple of years. I think these are safe when you are new to stocks and shares, and want to develop and understanding of investing and the market.

An investment fund is where investors group together and put money into the fund, and this money is managed and invested day-to-day by a fund manager who chooses which shares to invest in. Generally, this person will have good experience in stock markets and will be looking for good companies to invest for gain. Some fund managers are aggressive and will target lots of high growth/risk companies, others will play it steady and look for long-term gain. You will pay a small % each year to the fund manager, but the point of this is that they are doing the hard work of trying to find companies with growth potential. By investing in funds, you are spreading the risk to reduce the chance of losing money - but equally, you might not make a lot. When starting out, I used "Money Observer" quite a lot initially - they have lots of links and articles about investment funds.

Every fund will have a portfolio, and you should research the portfolio breakdown, on sites like Trustnet. For example, Google "SDL Buffettology", click the Trustnet link, and check the portfolio breakdown. Some of the companies you may recognise there - e.g. Games Workshop / London Stock Exchange. A portfolio breakdown can help you decide if a fund appeals to you or not. Earlier this year, I decided that Tech firms would thrive in a pandemic, so went for funds with portfolios based around Microsoft, Apple, Amazon etc.

You have to use your instinct and also research as much as you can. Don't just follow the first article you read saying "Invest in Tesla NOW!". Most investment articles / websites are crap - they provide useful news one day, then absolutely rubbish advice the next day.

Once you get a feel for funds and the gains/losses over time, you might decide to invest in individual companies - this is where the real gambling comes in, and if you're clever/lucky you could make big gains. Then you can start talking in this thread about investing in Cineworld one day, then selling it the next for a 30% gain, or similar nonsense ;)

Soldato
Thanks @caff I’ve gone for an investment trust to do with renewable energy and dare I say it .. cineworld!

Don’t worry though only a small amount as you say to get a feel for things but really I don’t want to get too involved/addicted.

Of course would be nice to check back every so often and hopefully see some kind of potential and eventually a positive return. I know I can’t expect too much if it’s long term and a low amount I’m investing though.

I went with HL because they have a great mobile app but should have researched further as vanguard may have been a better option when it comes to charges.

thanks for the website suggestions it seems not many come up when using Google

Soldato
Thanks @caff I’ve gone for an investment trust to do with renewable energy and dare I say it .. cineworld!

Don’t worry though only a small amount as you say to get a feel for things but really I don’t want to get too involved/addicted.

Of course would be nice to check back every so often and hopefully see some kind of potential and eventually a positive return. I know I can’t expect too much if it’s long term and a low amount I’m investing though.

I went with HL because they have a great mobile app but should have researched further as vanguard may have been a better option when it comes to charges.

thanks for the website suggestions it seems not many come up when using Google
If you're investing long term, why does the quality of their mobile app matter? Surely you want a platform with low/zero fees over a fancy app, if you're going to invest and forget?

Soldato
I believe it's due to Tesla getting permission to manufacture their SUV in China for the chinese market. I still expect Nio to climb between now and Nio Day in January and pull the other's up with it so may be a good time to buy.
Nio has been turbulent of late because of the whole PCAOB being blocked by Chinese Govt debacle. Hopefully, with Trump out and Biden in, some negotiation can be made. If not, then Nio will be delisted in 2yrs, no question.

Fortunately for us investors, a resolution should be known sooner than later.

Soldato
Delisting is 3 years I believe. Hopefully its political posturing rather than deadly serious. The fallout would be immense both ways if they enact it.
Indeed, and they've been trading a year already so we've got 2 yrs until delisting but the effects of the decision could be felt very soon. I'd be surprised if they do end up being delisted though. Fingers crossed eh.

Associate
Indeed, and they've been trading a year already so we've got 2 yrs until delisting but the effects of the decision could be felt very soon. I'd be surprised if they do end up being delisted though. Fingers crossed eh.

I've got a large sum on them which i am cashing in on December 2021 regardless so fingers crossed. I was lead to believe its 3 years from whenever the President (whomever it is) signs it into US Law? I didnt think they could 'backdate' it.

Soldato
I've got a large sum on them which i am cashing in on December 2021 regardless so fingers crossed. I was lead to believe its 3 years from whenever the President (whomever it is) signs it into US Law? I didnt think they could 'backdate' it.
No I'm afraid the way the legislation reads is if not one PCAOB audit has been able to verify independent audits for 3 years in a row of being listed on a US exchange, the company will be delisted.

I'm following the same plan as yourself, cash out late next year. However, if it's good news regarding the PCAOB this might be a very long term hold for me instead.

Associate
No I'm afraid the way the legislation reads is if not one PCAOB audit has been able to verify independent audits for 3 years in a row of being listed on a US exchange, the company will be delisted.

I'm following the same plan as yourself, cash out late next year. However, if it's good news regarding the PCAOB this might be a very long term hold for me instead.

Thanks for clarifying that for me. I think a compromise will be found, it really needs to be or both countries will lose out. I was getting out in a year before this news so might slow the share price down going forward but i'm in at an average of 30 per share so in 12 months i should still make a tidy sum.

Yes still definitely hoping for good news along the way, every penny helps! :)

Soldato
I've owned shares in a delisted company a couple times. Sometimes they wound it up and sent on the proceeds (that was a fund that owned foreign ports), sometimes its private auction or matched bids sale every quarter. One is absorbed into a chinese listed company (their government indirectly buys up gold assets) and they send me the AGM business every year or so, usually it doesnt help the share price but the assets arent changing value and often it was gold related which has an end game at 10k an ounce in theory, maybe its useful if its too awkward for me to sell and I just wait for the takeover or buyout. One of them has a dealing fee into the hundreds because its weirdly handled, my broker agreed to just let me keep it no charge in an empty account which I was lucky on

Buy the shares of the of the fund managers might be one take, house always wins. IGG isnt expensive, I should probably buy it regularly, I think LSE was the main feature of one fund managers portfolio. Place to read up on funds and one I was interested in - https://www.trustnet.com/factsheets/o/g5zz/barings-eastern-trust-i-inc-gbp

1lAqioC.png

Long term is a decade, thats the time it takes to fully setup a gold mine apparently. That sirus mine is probably going to take that long, markets are guessing later today. Hard to know if anyone will want the commodity by the time its ready to deliver or if similar supply elsewhere has appeared and now its cheap or poor margins.

Renewable energy is high risk my guess and cineworld I have not much belief in before a reset in the situation probably across the whole high street, its stuck in the mud now. I have owned a small share with off shore windpower, they had contracts for maintenance seemed viable but dont appear to have done great. I sold because it was tiny illiquid stock and most aim stocks just dont make it, better to take profits off the waves of speculation then wait six or ten years. PMG Read this guy I count him as pretty genuine - https://www.nakedtrader.co.uk/

https://citywire.co.uk/funds-inside.../a1432722?ref=citywire-money-latest-news-list

He buys gold earlier this year and sells on vaccine news, thats just reacting or chasing not investment and if he did so recently the timing is poor. Every price has to find out how much is actual demand, I thought in the Autumn $1750 was fair for gold to pull back not that I think it should but its typical for a sell off. If we do hold and thats still a pretty high price I'll take it remains bullish and will make another new high. I didnt see the miners as ever reaching an expensive level as it is high risk managed long term capital investment literally a very expensive hole in the ground so market remained apprehensive; where other sectors there is too much optimism and not enough growth, so ironically its more dangerous there.

Dollar broke out of a rough range held since July downwards, distorts every price if dollar reserve trends downwards. Who knows maybe even Sterling can break its negative trend, it tried a year ago on the election result. My take is it helps FTSE because we have so many commodities and they generally will gain under weaker dollar.

Last edited:
Soldato
what did you buy at?

I'm in position to buy a few more shares. Unfortunately it's much harder to pick now a tentative recovery is baked in.

No idea what to look at

I think it was about 904 - silly move, it's been a long hold. Particularly as I'm exposed at IAG (which is also green).

I can't provide guidance on what next I'm afraid, try and find the picks :)

Soldato
Thanks for clarifying that for me. I think a compromise will be found, it really needs to be or both countries will lose out. I was getting out in a year before this news so might slow the share price down going forward but i'm in at an average of 30 per share so in 12 months i should still make a tidy sum.

Yes still definitely hoping for good news along the way, every penny helps! :)
I'm lucky, I got in much earlier at 19 so it is tempting to close but part of me says hold for the long term regardless.

Best of luck!

Soldato
American Airlines on the up. I bought in on the first vaccine news day but lost out to day traders and order lag so was ~10% down for a week or so, but now up 13%.

Pretty much green across the board now, 32% with Whitbread, 22% Lloyds and 10% HSBC. Thanks vaccine!

Soldato
American Airlines on the up. I bought in on the first vaccine news day but lost out to day traders and order lag so was ~10% down for a week or so, but now up 13%.

Pretty much green across the board now, 32% with Whitbread, 22% Lloyds and 10% HSBC. Thanks vaccine!
Boeing shares on the rise due to Ryanair purchasing some of their planes

Back
Top Bottom