1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mcast123, 2 Apr 2009.

1. Russinating

Capodecina

Sorry for the long post, but I just HAD to look up my dissertation that I wrote in 2007. Fortunately the submission receipt copies the plain text into an email so I've got the final copy. Some bits make for funny/obvious reading lol. Netflix (as we know it) wasn't even a glimmer in our eyes. Neither was 4K evidently.

The production companies buying a cinema bit hasn't happened though, that I know of (yet).

2. Russinating

Capodecina

3. mid_gen

Capodecina

These chumps that don't even know what companies they're buying are going to fuel the mother of all corrections soon.

4. FMF

Gangster

I think COVID has contributed massively to this; US stimulus cheques, alot of free time and people out of work.

I suspect when people can actually spend money on tangible things that we might see some sort of sell-off. It shows that people are investing in Elon over his actual company however.

5. Russinating

Capodecina

How does it show that? Any notable or respected individual can impact markets/products, whether it's an actor endorsing fake tan or a CEO alluding to another's success.

6. arknor

Caporegime

I saw one company the other day with a price/earnings of 500 lol...

under 50 is kinda "good" right now... :confused:

also you look at reddit, people trying to pump companies with decaying revenue and 300% debt like....

I've seen tickers with 120% on small caps that declared bankruptcy, half the pump and dumps look like they survive from share offerings alone.

ahh yea the most recent one that made me laugh was some company that's getting delisted if it doesn't hit 1usd /share.

I think they were currently 0.2usd.

they said they will do a reverses split if they have to, people are pumping it on reddit like the company is going to do some monumental share buy back :rolleyes:

btw if you don't know how to see if a small cap that barely makes a profit is surviving from share sales check the "financing"
    positive number is obviously when they sell shares, negative number is if a company bought back shares.

share buy backs = good, share offerings mostly bad unless the company specifically gives the reasons why it needs to raise capital.
    I'd hope OCUK folk take things a bit more seriously and know what all the finances mean though, also I hope you google tickers to know what your buying :p

#signal to the moon if elon buys a share and sends the physical certificate there :D

Last edited: 13 Jan 2021
  7. Martynt74

Capodecina

I think it's more that people don't realise there's a separation between Tesla and Elon Musk, you see a lot of comments (even in here), about SpaceX and his other projects as if they're linked to Tesla and by investing in Tesla, people believe they're also going to benefit from success in his other projects.

8. FMF

Gangster

If Elon was not in Tesla the Market cap would not be 700bn, I think that's a very fair assumption. Nothing on their financials support such a value.

9. Russinating

Capodecina

What's that got to do with Signal?

Arguiably, if <insert CEO here> was not in <insert company here> the share price/market cap would not be what it is. Not to such an extreme, sure, but certainly within the tech sector, and CEO appointments/resignations can affect share prices wildly. You think if Warren Buffet dies then the share price of Berkshire Hathaway won't fluctuate?

I'm not getting into another weekly general Tesla argument/discussion because it's dull and repetitive.

10. Martynt74

Capodecina

Your post was quoting this. I assumed your comment was in relation to it

11. Simon

Capodecina

I think Elon musk tweeting about signal shows people invest in him /his recommendations

I doubt any other CEO could tweet about an app and see a share price of an unrelated company go up 1200%

12. ScarySquirrel

Capodecina

Sorry for the completely naive question, but is there an app on Android that would be a good way to start out with stocks and shares, but only investing small amounts, say under £100 a month or less? Just something simple to setup and easy to use?

13. mid_gen

Capodecina

Also, the internet and reddit trading meme subreddits have reached a critical mass now where they're able to move the market....

14. Trig

Soldato

212 is easy to use and setup

15. ScarySquirrel

Capodecina

Thanks, I'll check it out.

16. Basher

Sgarrista

Out of interest, why does it need to be an App? Surely something with great fees is better than something that looks sexy?

17. Simon

Capodecina

Hardest bit is knowing what to spend to £100 a month on. And you want one with lowest fees rather than easy to use.

18. ScarySquirrel

Capodecina

Purely for convenience. I have a laptop at home, but I'd find it easier to just use my phone.

Any recommendations other than 212? I've just downloaded it and playing with the virtual money at the moment.

I am completely new to this, I honestly don't know the first thing about stocks and shares, but keen to learn.

19. arknor

Caporegime

there's a ton of discords for pumping penny stocks apparently, I'm going to assume they are mostly set up by instagram/twitter/youtubers

on reddit you will notice a trend, people posting pump and dump only after the initial pump when they are wanting to cash out and get some chumps in

20. Azza

Caporegime