Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Soldato
Anyone know why Shopify is popping off this morning? I can't find any new news on it. I sold at $1244 to take some money out for a mortgage but it seems to keep going and going, almost tempted to put something back in on the next dip.

Probably about the Facebook using them for payment options.

It's going to be a growth stock as the platform's technology is used by an increasing number of 3rd parties.

I'm been burned by Shopify in the past though so will steer clear.

Soldato
Anybody know if it's possible to import watchlists and chart settings/templates from the normal account to isa account on T212 or do I have to set everything up twice ?

Also, I know on average if you invest in the stock market it doesn't particularly matter when you invest as long term it just keeps going up & up & up but with the pandemic still in full swing and the market ignoring this seeing record highs is it actually prudent to invest now on the basis that the US will keep propping up the markets with relief or wait out for the crash that will come but who knows when ? I keep wanting to get in, I've got a bunch of stocks I want to buy but I keep thinking it's got to come crashing down at some point as it's not sustainable as the outside looks good but the inside is rotten, when you've got for example Amazon trading at 80x its earnings per share and it doesn't even pay you any dividends, so owning it is technically pointless beyond hoping that later on it's going to be worth more so you can cash out for a profit :confused::confused: It seems no different to crypto really

Soldato
Anybody know if it's possible to import watchlists and chart settings/templates from the normal account to isa account on T212 or do I have to set everything up twice ?

Also, I know on average if you invest in the stock market it doesn't particularly matter when you invest as long term it just keeps going up & up & up but with the pandemic still in full swing and the market ignoring this seeing record highs is it actually prudent to invest now on the basis that the US will keep propping up the markets with relief or wait out for the crash that will come but who knows when ? I keep wanting to get in, I've got a bunch of stocks I want to buy but I keep thinking it's got to come crashing down at some point as it's not sustainable as the outside looks good but the inside is rotten, when you've got for example Amazon trading at 80x its earnings per share and it doesn't even pay you any dividends, so owning it is technically pointless beyond hoping that later on it's going to be worth more so you can cash out for a profit :confused::confused: It seems no different to crypto really

I guess it depends on how much cash you're sitting on.

If you've got a big chunk then it makes sense to invest some, however if it's a small portion of your portfolio i think it's handy to keep that spare to take advantage of any dip. I wonder if a sell off will come when restrictions lift and all the money people have piled into shares is withdraw for holidays/luxuries.

I've generally been trying to just buy companies still suffering from the dip in the hope they pull through (HYVE, RR, BP) and return to old prices.

Associate
It's probably because they don't offer an ISA. Not having a dig at you, but I found the interface the worst of any broker platform. Too much flashing nonsense, and too lacking in detail.

For most it makes sense if you can to trade within an ISA, but of course that will depend on your individual circumstances and the amounts you planning in to put in.

Thanks for the reply, dont worry I'm a simple bloke and like flashy things ha! Will possibly look at other platforms down the track. Plan is to short term trade on different markets (not day trading) on etorro and maybe trading212 with my diposable income and invest long term stocks on my fidelity account which I already have with shares given to me by work. Possibly look into ISA's but as I said its all about learning at this stage.

Associate
Gilde, owner of Caseking (which in turn owns OcUK) is rumoured to have hired advisors to run a dual track sale process (IPO and outright sale, they'll pick the best option at the end). Valuation talk is 15x EBITDA. Would you invest? Maybe loyal forum members should get access to the IPO?!

Soldato
I plonked a grand down on TUI out of my GME profits just because I imagine they will go up when people can holiday again. That's as far as my research goes.

Caporegime
Gilde, owner of Caseking (which in turn owns OcUK) is rumoured to have hired advisors to run a dual track sale process (IPO and outright sale, they'll pick the best option at the end). Valuation talk is 15x EBITDA. Would you invest? Maybe loyal forum members should get access to the IPO?!

Wonder if some of the OCUK employees are part of a share scheme, could be quite a sweet payday for them if they get a decent IPO. Valuation is circa 1 billion euros...

Soldato
I plonked a grand down on TUI out of my GME profits just because I imagine they will go up when people can holiday again. That's as far as my research goes.

Personally I wouldn't put my money there. Tour operators are vulnerable; there's still a market for sure but they're a dying bread and there's plenty of challengers because entry into the market isn't expensive or particularly difficult. The constant is airlines; you still have to get there and entry into that market is incredibly difficult. Governments are also far more likely to prop up a national airline than one of a dozen tour operators. It also gives you a bit of diversity across the sector and into business travel etc.

Soldato
Personally I wouldn't put my money there. Tour operators are vulnerable; there's still a market for sure but they're a dying bread and there's plenty of challengers because entry into the market isn't expensive or particularly difficult. The constant is airlines; you still have to get there and entry into that market is incredibly difficult. Governments are also far more likely to prop up a national airline than one of a dozen tour operators. It also gives you a bit of diversity across the sector and into business travel etc.

Good shout. I'll put the same on one tomorrow once I've done some very brief research.

Associate
I thought TUI had some support from German government, so I was waiting for the present drop to finish before buying there - but, I get Russinating's comment that airlines might be a more reliable option.

At the moment I seem to be doing well with ADMP that I bought last week. They apparently released a new Covid/respiratory drug (tempol) for FDA consideration on Jan 20th - with the intention of trials being green-lit by feb 20th, so I'm hoping it might jump a bit then, and then further if it passes the trials (or crash completely if they don't pass either milestone...)

Caporegime
any of you grab any of the tickers added to t212?
check the volume on ABEPF and no one dumped before closing, people obviously expecting it to moon like the other lithium stocks
OkVCZU5.jpg

I grabbed some https://www.marketwatch.com/investing/stock/wddmf?mod=mw_quote_recentlyviewed
as well since it's weed stock and new on 212 but possibly very risky

TAKOF not looking too bad either
https://www.marketwatch.com/investing/stock/takof?mod=mw_quote_recentlyviewed
could be a good long hold they make various cargo delivery drones.
here's one of the bigger ones 180kg max load :O

from what I read they "should" have enough money to continue until they make a profit with their current funds but it was only around 12mil they have, so perhaps there's a share issue at some point in the next year obviously diluting current shares if that happens
uBVZl62.jpg

the other new tickers added weren't looking that good but seems these 3 got peoples attention, takof probably a more safe bet than the others.

invest at your own risk, do your own DD, fear of missing out will lose you £££

EDIT:
I see PLTK apparently shorted 200% don't touch that stock unless you bother to DD and find out why it has so much debt. looks like a dumpster fire no one can put out

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm taking a bath in my TUI shares - dropped 10% in the last 24 hours after interim trading statement which reported on drop in bookings and gave some mid term liquidity issues. This wasn't a day trade and I'm tempted to double down at the price they are currently. Always hard to see your money shrink!

Back
Top Bottom