Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Soldato
ARB flying the last two day. I looked at this a few months ago and started tracking but looks like I missed the boat!
However I'm back in the black with TUI and RR. Looked at my portfolio last night and I haven't got any red figures since starting a couple of years ago . Best performance from Bailie Gifford American B inc which is 110% up. My other tracker funds / ETF are much more precarious if a crash comes!

Least you fully missed out. I bought into them and then sold before New Year.

I find i'm too cautious and so when i see 80% gains i sold my holding. In hindsight i need to be better at just withdrawing some profits but letting the rest ride, rather than cashing out completely.

SNGX doing well pre-market. Up by 7%.
Edit: Now just shy of 16%

Have a funny feeling it's going to get P&D by the Reddit plague so setting limit sell at $2.89

Shhh, don't tell @mid_gen :p

Soldato
Fair enough then, i'm only in for £200 on them so not really enough to worry about.

On the subject of my earlier post about not having the portfolio size to make significant wins. My dad emailed me before thanking me for a few of my tips. I'd suggested Blue Prism (at 1540 now 1800) and Hyve (when they were around 105 now 130)

He has a lot more money than me so had put a combination of around 15k into the above so has made a decent chunk. He owes me a beer i think!

Soldato
ARB flying the last two day. I looked at this a few months ago and started tracking but looks like I missed the boat!
However I'm back in the black with TUI and RR. Looked at my portfolio last night and I haven't got any red figures since starting a couple of years ago . Best performance from Bailie Gifford American B inc which is 110% up. My other tracker funds / ETF are much more precarious if a crash comes!

I got in last week. Am now 103% up. Not wanting to turn into a total ramper but

- Bigger mining petahash than MARA & RIOT (1650 vs 900-ish roughly once machines installed).
- MARA and RIOT are $38-50. ARB is $2-3 still. However, about 5 x the shares issued.
- 70-80% margins
- No debt
- About to list on the NASDAQ now they are above $2
- Starting to pick up steam on a lot of places like stocktwits (yuck)
- Expansion in Texas announced
- Front of the line for new machines. A chunk delivered early (approx 1000 machines end of Jan) rest coming about now (3500 machines).

Last edited:
Associate
So I signed up to freeTrade today, just so a friend could collect a free share. I must say that from initial impressions:

1. I am not impressed by the UI at all. It seems quite cheap, and difficult to browse or search. You really need to know what you are looking for to find something on the platform.
  2. A lot of stocks are behind a paywall, so its not fully a 'free trade' platform. Some shares are free to trade, ignoring standard market dealing charges, the rest are hidden behind a paywall.
I have however, decided to put my initial account opening deposit in a share called BEST. It is a Chinese company dealing with logistical services and backed by Alibaba. Its currently trading around $2.71, after falling roughly 50% in the last year, and has traded as high as $12.55ish.

I will give it 2 months and see how it and my free share perform, but see this as an interesting punt / short test of the system.

Soldato
I got in last week. Am now 103% up. Not wanting to turn into a total ramper but

- Bigger mining petahash than MARA & RIOT (1650 vs 900-ish roughly once machines installed).
- MARA and RIOT are $38-50. ARB is $2-3 still. However, about 5 x the shares issued.
- 70-80% margins
- No debt
- About to list on the NASDAQ now they are above $2
- Starting to pick up steam on a lot of places like stocktwits (yuck)
- Expansion in Texas announced
- Front of the line for new machines. A chunk delivered early (approx 1000 machines end of Jan) rest coming about now (3500 machines).

Weird, it's just gone from 256 to 225 in a matter of seconds!

I've been looking to get in for long term as like you say they look decent and i would like exposure to BTC albeit indirectly.

Associate
I tried to open an account on 'Trading 212' but they say due to high demand they have paused new accounts so that they can increase their capacity to serve more clients.

You can get added to the waiting list so they can let you know when you can join. Just make sure you use someone's referral link.

Soldato
as in someone who has signed up already can send you a refereall link and you'll both get a tiny extra stock for doing so. can't share links on here

You can add it retroactively in the "use promo code" link, I got a BAE systems share which was pleasantly surprising as I was expecting some junk penny share

Soldato
Weird, it's just gone from 256 to 225 in a matter of seconds!

I've been looking to get in for long term as like you say they look decent and i would like exposure to BTC albeit indirectly.

At 2pm They released an RNS saying they have no further info into why the price is going up beyond what they have already told the market.

This combined with the US about to open (after a holiday weekend) sent it down. It's recovered nicely, back at £2.50 as the US has held.

Soldato
At 2pm They released an RNS saying they have no further info into why the price is going up beyond what they have already told the market.

This combined with the US about to open (after a holiday weekend) sent it down. It's recovered nicely, back at £2.50 as the US has held.

Ah makes sense.

I ended up getting in at 225p, so didn't quite catch the bottom but at least it's given me a slight buffer at the current price. Just a shame i don't have 10x as many shares as i would have i held my initial investment.

Soldato
Ah makes sense.

I ended up getting in at 225p, so didn't quite catch the bottom but at least it's given me a slight buffer at the current price. Just a shame i don't have 10x as many shares as i would have i held my initial investment.

I think it's standard practice to release RNS's in this nature when prices spike to show they are hiding no major news. Well done on getting in on a dip!

Soldato
I'm looking forward to getting my portfolio to a decent size. At the moment, even on a share i really believe in i'm only ~£1000 and so whilst a 30% growth is excellent. It's still "only" £300 and so from a wealth perspective doesn't make much impact. I know it'll compound etc, but it can feel you're not really growing particularly.

In a few years i'll be able to increase the level of trades substantially and so it should feel much more worthwhile. Whilst probably increasing stress levels more :p

Position sizing strategy should remain much the same whether it be £1,000 or £10,000. If a trade will 'make or break you' - the position is too big.

Approximately 80% of my portfolio is in Funds & ETF's, the remainder I pick stocks with. My positions will rarely be more than 2-4% of my total portfolio. This has allowed me to still yield a decent return the last year despite taking (not insignificant) losses.

I understand what you're saying though, it's the power of compounding. A 10% return in the first year on £10k will be a modest £1k. In the 20th year it's closer to £6k.

Soldato
Position sizing strategy should remain much the same whether it be £1,000 or £10,000. If a trade will 'make or break you' - the position is too big.

Approximately 80% of my portfolio is in Funds & ETF's, the remainder I pick stocks with. My positions will rarely be more than 2-4% of my total portfolio. This has allowed me to still yield a decent return the last year despite taking (not insignificant) losses.

I understand what you're saying though, it's the power of compounding. A 10% return in the first year on £10k will be a modest £1k. In the 20th year it's closer to £6k.

Yeah, that's what i was getting at, maybe just didn't word it well. At the moment my individual shares can be between 5%-10%, with the max being around £1000.

As my portfolio grows then in a few years my 10% trades can be £5k or so and suddenly any gains are more beneficial from a "what can i do with this" point of view. Assuming i keep piling money into it at the current rate.

I suppose the issue is when it hits around 30k+ and it's very tempting to just go blow it on a new car :p

Back
Top Bottom