Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Caporegime
Yeah, even though i bought back in, i'm still cursing not holding my initial purchase at 19p. I'd have about 15k now :(

It's hard but I'm bit same with btc. I had two btc way back. Sold out at about 7k now got about 7k.

It was used to buy a house. But yeah if I had held on longer I'd now have a better house.

In flip side. Might not have gotten it at all.

I don't think I should get in on it. But. It's very tempting!
Especially seeing my other holdings floundering

Soldato
Is anyone else's trading212 sell price not updating?

Price of argo block chain = 315.8 but I can only sell for 304. 1

Edit: it since has dropped to 307 but sell price is still 304.1

There is a difference between what people are willing to sell for (ask price) and what people are willing to buy for (bid price)... in high liquidity stocks that will generally be pretty close, but if liquidity is lower then there might be quite a significant spread.

So basically if you wanted to buy that stock you need to pay the ask price (because that’s the lowest anyone is willing to let go of it for), if you wanted to sell that stock you’ll only get the bid price (because that’s the most someone is willing to buy it off you for).

Imagine you were at a market stall and the stall owner was selling a product for £20... there’s a prospective buyer negotiating with him saying he’ll only offer him £15, but the stall owner is insistent that he wants £20. You turn up and decide to buy at the asking price... immediately after buying you have second thoughts and want to get your money back. The stall owner points to his sign that says “no refunds” and the only person around was that guy that was only willing to pay £15. So now you can only get £15 for that item despite having literally just bought it for £20. That’s the spread between ask and bid.

Last edited:
Soldato
Because we all like money. I noticed this on TCB when i was looking at something else. Not sure if people view it as worth the effort, but i did something similar when Natwest ran a similar cashback promotion.

Basically open a monthly contribution ISA at £100/mth and you can get cashback of around £200. If you wanted to then withdraw after 12 months (the minimum term), you're at around a 15% return (assuming no change in value of investment minus the exit fee. Note - I've not looked into any other fees they may charge)

https://www.topcashback.co.uk/shepherds-friendly-stocks-and-shares-isa/
https://www.topcashback.co.uk/scottish-friendly/

Also for anyone wanting to switch platform. Fidelity offers cashback for anyone opening a New ISA with them. Something i wish i was aware of when i opened mine!

https://www.topcashback.co.uk/fidelity-stocks-and-shares-isa/

Soldato
Yeah, even though i bought back in, i'm still cursing not holding my initial purchase at 19p. I'd have about 15k now :(

Decide what you want from a trade. If you hit that, and get out with the profit you were after it was a good trade. Regardless of what happens afterwards.

FOMO = emotion = bad decisions.

This is especially true right now when arguably when the equity markets have detached from business fundamentals. Everyone one is chasing the next pump and dump. Don't be a bag holder!

Caporegime
Blue Prism has also dropped quite a lot after hitting it's peak. I'd suggest it was a good time to buy back in, especially if you like charts (obviously past performance doesn't affect future performance, blah blah blah)

Seems fairly unwarranted
yea I think it was due to a RPA market report that came out but it's behind a paywall.

I bought the dip probably sell at 1750 assuming it goes back that high

Soldato
Decide what you want from a trade. If you hit that, and get out with the profit you were after it was a good trade. Regardless of what happens afterwards.

FOMO = emotion = bad decisions.

This is especially true right now when arguably when the equity markets have detached from business fundamentals. Everyone one is chasing the next pump and dump. Don't be a bag holder!

That's true to some extent and the sentiment is certainly good advice, but learnings should also not be confused with regret or hindsight.

I sold two stagnant/marginally red funds in Jan 2020. I've reviewed all my holdings recently and also checked their performance since, which has been very poor. In fact they would be my only red funds if I still held them. I would therefore say that they were good trades/good decisions, purely as a result of that. I wouldn't regret selling them if they'd increased in value, but I'd still want to learn from it.

I've said it here before but it's an incredibly common mistake to hold on to losers and sell winners; it's much easier mentally to wish/hope for something to rise again rather than accepting defeat, and also much easier and a better feeling to cash in profits. As soon as I learnt to switch that mentality I've been far more successful with my decisions.

Soldato
I've said it here before but it's an incredibly common mistake to hold on to losers and sell winners; it's much easier mentally to wish/hope for something to rise again rather than accepting defeat, and also much easier and a better feeling to cash in profits. As soon as I learnt to switch that mentality I've been far more successful with my decisions.

That's certainly my lesson.

I need to be better at seeing a good gain, and then setting a stop loss to secure profit whilst still giving myself the option to achieve further profits, rather than just thinking "I'm up X, that's a good profit, i'll sell" only to watch it continue to fly.

Soldato
That's certainly my lesson.

I need to be better at seeing a good gain, and then setting a stop loss to secure profit whilst still giving myself the option to achieve further profits, rather than just thinking "I'm up X, that's a good profit, i'll sell" only to watch it continue to fly.

Yup. Of course it may come down again, too, but that's where the funamentals of the invesment should remain constant. The volatality of S&S means that you need to lose small and win big to make those losses worthwhile.

Soldato
I have also done this just now, given the wider market competitors doing well. In for a small amount so I don't get grief about risk and money tied up from my other half :D

oh yes, I remember reading about Cellular Goods in the news, the David Beckham one right? How have you all bought into the IPO if it lists in March?

Soldato
oh yes, I remember reading about Cellular Goods in the news, the David Beckham one right? How have you all bought into the IPO if it lists in March?

The listing goes public in March, but you can generally apply to buy in early. Usually this is only offered to large investment houses, but seems they've done it with this too.

I think HL are one of the only brokers which offer IPO's. I can't see anything with Fidelity.

Soldato

I found out that you get use primarybid to put in for shares. Looking into it now.

I remember now where i heard about Cellular Goods - wasn't the news it was because Peter Wall (CEO of another share I am in) is on the board of directors. People were talking about it in LSE/ADVFN

Soldato
I found out that you get use primarybid to put in for shares. Looking into it now.

I remember now where i heard about Cellular Goods - wasn't the news it was because Peter Wall (CEO of another share I am in) is on the board of directors. People were talking about it in LSE/ADVFN

FYI just looking on Primarybid, looks like Friday is the last day to get float shares so getting some now

Soldato
Been a few rumours going round surrounding various tax changes including CGT and pension tax relief. Likely if they do raise CGT rates it would be in line with your income tax bracket so 45% could be the highest level of CGT due.

I hope they don't. They get so little tax from CGT and it's us, the average people who have already paid tax on their income and decided to invest their money who would be hurt.

I'd seriously look into overseas residence for tax purposes if it happens.

Soldato
Not to mention typically you need to be out of the country half the year :p

The S&S ISA scheme is more than generous imo, I wouldn't have a problem with a CGT raise, particularly with all the capital gains being made off the back of loose monetary policy that is failing to help the people that most need it, and enriching those of us that don't need assistance.

Back
Top Bottom