Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Caporegime
Yet it's funny how often these 'internet strangers' are correct vs professionals, tipsters and journalists.

I've probably made more money from looking into stocks suggested here and a lot more from some on other forums, than I have by looking into and investing in stock by tipped by so-called professionals.

Motley fool is the worst.
They will have an article saying buy and the next day saying not to buy.

I couldn't say if its. More wrong than right but usually feels wrong

Soldato
Motley fool is the worst.
They will have an article saying buy and the next day saying not to buy.

I couldn't say if its. More wrong than right but usually feels wrong

Literally the worst. All they are doing is trying to sell their paid content, stock tips, etc. It's clickbait.

Soldato

I had GKP back in around 2014 but gave up waiting for it to hit its potential. If I recall they had a lot of oil reserves tied up in Sudan and couldn’t get it out or something like that.

You think they look good?

Associate
Wait so because I put more in, I'm a true investor? :p I just lowered my avg entry on long holds.

I just sold almost everything and now have 65% of my portfolio in Palantir, the rest in NIO/XPEV buying the dips. Risky but I can't see PLTR dropping below the $25 resistance, especially with people like ARK Invest doubling their position around $28.

Associate
Then it’s clearly not an issue for you to stick to your plan, but for a lot of beginner investors multiple red days across the board causes panic.

I remember during the early days of Bitcoin I panicked and sold on the first big drop. I learned a valuable lesson for a very cheap price on that day.

It’s not about putting more in and being a “true” investor, it’s whether you can stick to your plan when the planned for bad scenarios materialize.

Luckily I'm investing mostly in funds at the moment and even though the last couple of days have gone back quite a bit I'm going to hang in there long term anyway. The funds are looking promising so I'm not going to panic yet (I've not got much in them yet though so not losing much if things goes too bad).

Associate
I'm tempted to forget stocks for a bit and top up funds as happy to leave them. That being said, someone will probably give me a stock tip tomorrow that I will like so :D

The one annoying stock I have at the moment is BIDStack. I really like the concept, and the head honcho is pretty smart, but 100% not a people person and comes out with some corkers in their RNS feed!

CHRY annoyed me the other day too. I really liked the fund, but announcing you are going to raise an extra 600m shares when there are currently only 400m in issue, because you see good investments in the pipeline, but cant announce what they are. It could potentially shift the weightings of all the companies in the fund, so as a result I sold to crystallise my gain. I will review again in April.

CERES power is an odd one too. Seems to like to hover between £1200 and £1600 a share right now. Its a bit like what will it be worth tomorrow?

Soldato
Been a few rumours going round surrounding various tax changes including CGT and pension tax relief. Likely if they do raise CGT rates it would be in line with your income tax bracket so 45% could be the highest level of CGT due.

They better not touch pension tax relief! I think that one often goes around as an easy target but touch wood little ever seems to come of it. Taking good advantage of that lately and IIRC hundreds of millions (if not more) go unclaimed each year.

Are we starting to see a bit of a correction creep in?
Almost everything in the red

Don't think so, just looks like a few down days to me.

Soldato
They better not touch pension tax relief! I think that one often goes around as an easy target but touch wood little ever seems to come of it. Taking good advantage of that lately and IIRC hundreds of millions (if not more) go unclaimed each year.

That was on the table.

Apparently they have asked people to look into CGT. However, it doesn't' deliver that much revenue and may scare away investors and force people out.

I was watching the news and it did flash up that the government was being begged to NOT raise taxes. It also said that drivers may be in for a hard time RE: petrol tax. Seems sensible, it's a cash cow, it affects all a little and it encourages ppl to go electric.

Back
Top Bottom