Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Caporegime
HUR ricane Energy - keep an eye out on RNS feed for potential exit. I bought in last year before they wrote off 90% of their reserves at 8.2p, thinking worst case I would break even if all went Pete tong, I am now waiting to break even(I never sell investments at a loss).

What will you do if they never recover to your break even point?

Don
Hurricane are ****ed. Total disaster of a company, massively over-estimated the Lancaster development, failed to get government approval for another subsea tie back, and currently only producing from one well to the FPSO there. One of the major share-holders is looking to completely remove the board over their performance.

Associate
So I've had this in the back of my mind for awhile but looking to invest some spare earnings in the markets. Starting off slow as I learn and probably adding £150-£200 a month and reinvesting any gains.

The timezone difference is a bit of an issue but to my understanding a lot of the daily action in the US markets happens between 08:30-11:30 which is manageable for me.

Wheres a good place to start? e-trade ameritrade etc? I hear the fees are fairly high but i'll be looking at a longer term investment rather than day trading.

Associate
So I've had this in the back of my mind for awhile but looking to invest some spare earnings in the markets. Starting off slow as I learn and probably adding £150-£200 a month and reinvesting any gains.

The timezone difference is a bit of an issue but to my understanding a lot of the daily action in the US markets happens between 08:30-11:30 which is manageable for me.

Wheres a good place to start? e-trade ameritrade etc? I hear the fees are fairly high but i'll be looking at a longer term investment rather than day trading.

If you're looking for long term investment then check out Hargreaves Landsdown. They charge c.£12 to buy but they are a very reputable platform to use. They have a good app and the browser is good as well. I also recommend not worrying about trading hours/time differences etc. if you're going for long term investments - that shouldn't really affect you too much over the long term.

Over the past 6 months, I've learnt:
  • Do your own due diligence - don't rely on some guy/gal on Reddit to give legit advice
  • Don't rush into selling
  • Don't rush into buying
  • Don't sell just because you've had made a loss one day
  • Don't buy based on hype
  • Don't invest what you can't afford to loose
  • Don't buy and then keep checking your investment every 5 minutes. Buy and then leave it. Check every few days/once a week/twice a month if going long term
  • Learn how to read a company financial reports/end of year results
  • Don't spread yourself too thin i.e. You don't need to invest in 20+ individual companies

Good luck!

Associate
Classic mistake. One I've made myself when starting out so I'm not judging, but it's not a good approach.

Google 'investing mistakes' and read the first few articles, and heed them. Will save a lot of heartache down the line.

I have a long term mindset, so take my time to pick companies to invest in. I make a list of why I invested in companies, and if any of those items no longer hold true, I would potentially then consider selling, but have never had to sell to date.

Soldato
thank you, i'll give X-O a go. i also have signed up fineco, but then i realised they are based in italy and will cost £10 to transfer funds from my Lloyds bank. :rolleyes:

Depending on the size of your trades then free trade or t212 (not currently accepting new customers) is a option. They take their cut on the spread so are good for smaller buys.

Soldato
Well, I chucked all my cash back into the markets end of last week, looks like that's the limit of the overall market correction for now.

Cue the real collapse :D

Soldato
Well, I chucked all my cash back into the markets end of last week, looks like that's the limit of the overall market correction for now.

Cue the real collapse :D

Haha, What've you gone for?

I've just added a bit of cash to my ISA to finish off the year, but can't decide whether to play it safe and load up a few existing funds still or take a little more risk. I fancy the likes of Nio/more Corsair, but i'm nervous i've missed that bounce (especially with NIO), and opening myself up a bit too much.

Soldato

I've just added a bit of cash to my ISA to finish off the year, but can't decide whether to play it safe and load up a few existing funds still or take a little more risk. I fancy the likes of Nio/more Corsair, but i'm nervous i've missed that bounce (especially with NIO), and opening myself up a bit too much.

24% IAG
22% RR
20% Scottish Mortgage Investment Trust
18% VanEck Vector Video Gaming and eSports
10% VW
6.5% Atlantica Sustainable Infrastructure

The last is just a punt as I fancied a UK green energy stock (though they're US listed).

Associate

I'm in NIO long term, a few thousand shares sub $30 average. I think it's still a good price/time to get in if you are planning to hold 12 months+

Soldato
I've just taken a chunk of profit from AML, rounded up some shares to the nearest 500/1000 and stopped putting into those ones on a monthly basis, all I am putting into now is IAG, RR, CINE and FGP.
I have however started to think I might stick a bit a month into some sort of fund and see how that tracks, anyone got any suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom