1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mcast123, 2 Apr 2009.

1. wildest_jjk

Mobster

Lol at least it's not just me then. I suppose it does give a time to buy at least!

2. BennyC

Capodecina

Buying the dip(s).

3. Cadder

Wise Guy

Facebook tanked

4. delta0

Sgarrista

Rough September and a rough start to October. Watching options for tech and they are all starting to swing to the buy side so we may be out of this correction soon hopefully.

5. Kreeeee

Man of Honour

Discount buying time!

I don't get why there is so much weird sentiment on this forum, a lot of people seem to desire pretty much the opposite of what would be the most beneficial result. You want big drops during your (particularly early) accumulation stage of life, that way you can pile in when there is a discount and make your early retirement pot grow massively when the market reaches a new all time high, which it always does after every crash.

Last edited: 4 Oct 2021
  6. englishpremier

Sgarrista

Last Nasdaq all time high was on 7th September and S&P500 on 2nd Sept, so people haven't had all that rough over the past year you've probably gained handsomely.

7. ltron

Mobster

I am, I am hoping for good things. It seems promising,

8. ltron

Mobster

It was only 30% if I remember correctly. The biggest crashes have been 75%+, that's a real crash.

9. Efour

Caporegime

You talk like you have infinite access to liquid cash.
    What you say is completely correct but I suspect like most people not everyone is so cash ready to buy. If nearly everything 80%90% you have is tied up then in reality..... It's just talk.
    Good for anyone that has been sitting on money waiting for sure.

Just my terrible timing

10. Martynt74

Capodecina

Anyone into/heard of Mode Global Holdings?

My mate has done the classic "go balls deep" into them with virtually all his savings. I've pointed out the excess risks etc so feel i've done my duty on that front, but it'd be interesting to get other peoples input on the actual company.

From what i can tell, they seem to be pushing some kind of disruptive banking model and taking on Visa/Mastercard which doesn't seem like the brightest of ideas. I'm curious if they've actually got something decent or if they're just trying to be different for the sake of doing something different.

11. jsmoke

Capodecina

So who's buying Facebook stock?

12. Cadder

Wise Guy

Possibly me

13. delta0

Sgarrista

Tech is pretty oversold at the moment. Good start to the UK markets today.

14. Kreeeee

Man of Honour

I have a regular monthly allocated amount to invest for the next 20 years before my planned retirement date. I will also rebalance when stocks dip from my bond and other similar allocations to the now bargain stocks.

Surely this is how most people invest rather than timing the market with lump sums at random times.

Chances are you’re not more intelligent than the average investor (people always greatly overestimate their own intelligence), so it’s very unlikely that you can guess right twice for each exit and subsequent re-entry to the market to sell high and buy low. Having auto balancing between different asset classes removes any need to time the market, but it lets you buy the dips and sell the highs whenever the market forces skews your pre-defined allocation percentages.

Last edited: 5 Oct 2021
  15. jsmoke

Capodecina

So whats going on with FB price dip is this a vote of conscience, I.e FB apparently said they are putting profit above everything or something along those lines. Are shareholders sending FB a message, giving them a slap on the wrists or are people just exercising their greed and fear and dumping their stock incase "everybody else" does?

I feel like a hedge fund manager who's sitting analysing every movement and event hoping for some crash so I can buy up and profit.

16. Russinating

Capodecina

Lol what? Have you been living under a rock the past 24 hours?

You clearly haven't been analysing every movement and event :cry:

17. Efour

Caporegime

Yeah i do get it, just from what i read originally, i interpreted it as you coming across as exactly what you described later as to not be the case... lol does that even make sense :p

18. jsmoke

Capodecina

Lol, I see what you did there.

19. uncle_rufus

Soldato

This gave me a good chuckle, thank you

20. Macky

Soldato