Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Soldato
I'm such a doughnut — I bought the Dist. version of the tracker fund I was after instead of the Acc. :rolleyes:

I also managed to buy on a bit of a peak, so I've missed out on the recent gains. I clearly wasn't paying close enough attention at the time.

I'm tempted to wait until I'm £30 in profit (to cover fees) and then switch it out for the Acc. version. Currently up £25 so shouldn't be too much trouble Think I'll also look for a dip before I buy back in.

Soldato
AA volume looking like there might be a leak...

Takeover talks have been extended a handful of times, deadline is the 24th I think. Few interested parties that have reduced to two and collaborating if I recall.

Associate
NIO went into the 42. whatever range, i think thats as low as it's going within 5% so topped up. got 2100 shares now but average is now up to around 30. Sit and wait for 18 months now.

sid

sid

Soldato
what's the consensus on Nikola ?
They have been in freefall since the short seller report by hindenburg. Then the ceiling resigned.

I see its rallied a bit today. They don't have any real product and I'm still down 25%

Corsair has gone up a fair bit...should have got in when gibbo said so

Soldato
I got into Corsair, and Logitech a short time ago, and today Beyond Meat. I sold off the Logitech and topped up CRSR. Also dumped Nvidia, and picked up some Astra Zenica (as a punt).

The £ increasing over the $ has reduced a few of my stock, but mostly I'm very happy. Especially CRSR which is up 27%.

The most disappointing are Amazon and Microsoft, despite both destroying earnings, they've not moved much.

Associate
I'm such a doughnut — I bought the Dist. version of the tracker fund I was after instead of the Acc. :rolleyes:

I also managed to buy on a bit of a peak, so I've missed out on the recent gains. I clearly wasn't paying close enough attention at the time.

I'm tempted to wait until I'm £30 in profit (to cover fees) and then switch it out for the Acc. version. Currently up £25 so shouldn't be too much trouble Think I'll also look for a dip before I buy back in.

What did you buy that charges £10 a go in fees? (Assuming but/sell/buy fee).

Soldato
Why not just keep hold of it and buy the fund next time as you're not charged anything different for holding ETFs.

This is a long-term hold, so having the dividends re-invested for free and without having to think about it is appealing. Also, this was quite a big (for me) lump sum, so 'next time' could be quite a way off.

It's annoying; because it's not an OEIC like Vanguard LifeStrategy, I can't just switch it from Dist. to Acc. I have to sell then buy again. It's only a small inconvenience in the long term assuming it actually gets to £30 profit. My +£25 from yesterday is now +£2 this morning :p

Soldato
That's the equivilant of betting on the favourite at the grand national. Yeah they win, but everyone expects it and the odds (price) is already assuming so.
Probably a case of the run ups having been massive already. With the vaccine news there's a degree of rotation out of these high priced stocks into other cheaper covid affected but future recovery sectors.

Associate
It's only a small inconvenience in the long term assuming it actually gets to £30 profit. My +£25 from yesterday is now +£2 this morning :p

I think that your logic is faulty though - since the fund you are switching to will be up by exactly the same amount (barring a pullback in your favour ie accidental market timing) it makes no difference when you make the switch - fees are fees.

If you are interested in tracker funds and can cope with the limited selection (own funds only) the Vanguard platform is very good for fee dodging (and in the interest of long term holds - fees also compound over time).

Soldato
Whitbread has gone under the radar again. I bought early June, doubled-down mid-June. My initial comment was:

Looking at Whitbread (WTB) here. Has risen since it's lowest in March but not much (in comparison to other stocks), basically still flatlining @ 55% down from end of Feb. They've raised a share issue, particularly to invest in Germany (growing from 1 to 30 hotels), and I can see domestic budget travel being a strong pull for many in the next 6-12 months, particularly over the winter, plus an increase in corporate travel as we get back to normality.

They're still pressing on with expansion in Germany (https://www.ft.com/content/55c8a036-7cfa-4d79-9399-3f9afd3004e2) and I don't think anything else since then has come as much of a shock/any different to the market as a whole.

There's been spikes since the vaccine news and I'm now up 21%, which given I was down 18% odd at one point is pretty good going. Still way below pre-COVID highs so don't think it's over-excited so to speak, and still remains long term for me (or at least until it gets back to the 4900s).

Soldato
I think that your logic is faulty though - since the fund you are switching to will be up by exactly the same amount (barring a pullback in your favour ie accidental market timing) it makes no difference when you make the switch - fees are fees.

If you are interested in tracker funds and can cope with the limited selection (own funds only) the Vanguard platform is very good for fee dodging (and in the interest of long term holds - fees also compound over time).
Ah, I see what you mean. I guess it's just a psychological thing about locking in profit/loss. :p

Since I bought it, it has been yo-yoing around so my thinking is, sell on a peak and buy back on a dip and that way I get to swap for 'free' and also hopefully gain slightly more when it climbs again (as I originally bought on a peak).

There's probably some gamblers fallacy going on there but it makes sense in my head. :D

I already use Vanguard for my SIPP and I have a chunk of my S&S ISA in a LifeStrategy fund — this was an attempt to diversify a bit and not put all of my eggs in the Vanguard basket. Plus, the last time I checked, the UK LifeStrategy funds didn't have a huge weighting towards US stocks.

Ironically, since I bought the i-shares S&P500 tracker, my LifeStrategy fund has outperformed it significantly…

Back
Top Bottom