Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Soldato
Anyone ever looked at MGC Pharma (LON: MXC)? They're the first medicinal cannabis company to list on the LSE (listed just a week or two ago), following the ruling last year by the FCA. Don't know much about it but could be interesting given the potential growth in that space.

Associate
Anyone ever looked at MGC Pharma (LON: MXC)? They're the first medicinal cannabis company to list on the LSE (listed just a week or two ago), following the ruling last year by the FCA. Don't know much about it but could be interesting given the potential growth in that space.

Yes could be interesting perhaps if you have a small amount. I'm not sure what competition they have, but they are an Australian company. The recent surge in the U.S. and Canadian cannabis themed companies was interesting...pump and dump indeed - mostly by Reddit / WSB. I'm now more aware of these 'theme or meme investments' all going on.

Looks like another is listing tomorrow: Kanabo - interesting read on the articles surrounding the sector. Seems quite volatile depending on legislation etc.

Last edited:
Soldato

I also saw some talk of another Cannabis related company, currently going to IPO - Cellular Goods plc. It has the same board members of the people behind Argo. The IPO is at 5p and expires Friday. Yet to do any research, but is there really a market for such things in the UK?

Soldato
Whatever happened to the Bristol CLE business? Heard you guys couldn't work out which way it was supposed to spin and sent them back to Derby :D

Derby have a habit of pulling work back if things start drying up on their site, then sending it back out again when they realise that they don't have the design knowledge to actually do it.

Soldato
BP doing well today despite closed usa markets and its more american then british in its assets afaik. But anyhow price is at the 50 day average but more significant is volume peaking at 320 area and the recent low of about 260, see if thats the range for its movements and rising from this level means its with positive bias for now.
Watch tomorrow on full markets maybe add as an idea.

Price not being this low in a decade means little disadvantage in zooming here. Yearly average about 280 and wont be positive for a while I guess; I'm told be cautious while 200 day or similar reference is in decline as it caps price aspirations beyond just a trade. All the big averages watched are in a similar place near here, I dont know that means anything.

I dont know the news just wondering on charts if they mean anything. OPEC tightening some last I read. RDSB is more bullish I reckon, big gap in volume back to 'normality'

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/deep-freeze-sends-gas-soaring-054613946.html

Soldato
I also saw some talk of another Cannabis related company, currently going to IPO - Cellular Goods plc. It has the same board members of the people behind Argo. The IPO is at 5p and expires Friday. Yet to do any research, but is there really a market for such things in the UK?

Interesting, thanks. Seems like David Beckham has backed that. If the IPO is open to retail, any idea how you'd get involved? Not saying I necessarily want to, just never bought an IPO. Thinking about the upcoming Coinbase IPO too.

I don't know much about the UK market specifically, but I'm bullish on medicinal cannabis overall.

Caporegime
some stocks kinda spiked as the USA market would have opened, maybe americans looking for short term gains whilst their markets are down.

could lead to dips tomorrow

Soldato
Have to bear in mind (hoho), that we're in a extended bullish run at the moment. It's easy to get carried away saying I wish I did that, I wish I had more control over my pension etc.

Everyone feels like a Pro Trader at the moment, because everyone is seeing big gains. It's frankly absurd how easy it is right now.

The longer this bull run goes on, the harder the correction will be. Just keep it in mind.

Thanks for saying this, I’ve been feeling it a long long time.

Associate

Also bear in mind these bull runs can go on far longer than anyone expects. I remember reading about a fund manager that called the dot.com bubble early. Got out of his tech positions and invested in safer stocks/bonds.

The bull market carried on for 2 more years he missed out on huge amounts of gains 100%+ on some positions his fund was way down the rankings and eventually the crash happened. After that his fund on a 12 month was the top performer but over 2 years or more it was bottom quartile.

Lesson here is Time in the market beats timing the market

Soldato
Interesting, thanks. Seems like David Beckham has backed that. If the IPO is open to retail, any idea how you'd get involved? Not saying I necessarily want to, just never bought an IPO. Thinking about the upcoming Coinbase IPO too.

I don't know much about the UK market specifically, but I'm bullish on medicinal cannabis overall.

Its appears through Primary Bid - never used them, so I can't comment I'm afraid.

Also undecided my end, if I did put a small a mount in - it would be a pure bet.

Last edited:
Soldato
Also bear in mind these bull runs can go on far longer than anyone expects. I remember reading about a fund manager that called the dot.com bubble early. Got out of his tech positions and invested in safer stocks/bonds.

The bull market carried on for 2 more years he missed out on huge amounts of gains 100%+ on some positions his fund was way down the rankings and eventually the crash happened. After that his fund on a 12 month was the top performer but over 2 years or more it was bottom quartile.

Lesson here is Time in the market beats timing the market

Whilst the printers are still going Brrrr there's probably plenty of life left in it still.

I've been invested moderately/heavily since April last year, I closed some positions and held more cash (anxiously) around September/October time but have gradually reinvested since then.

I'm not going to try and call it, I'd be sticking a finger in the air after all but based on other far more educated opinions than my own I wouldn't be surprised if it continues for a decent while longer.

Soldato
Central banks are creating bubbles, and with debt to GDP ratio increasing and likely to continue to increase due to covid, the money printing will go on for many years. Due to rising inflation (could be up to 3% in the US) covid is the only thing holding it back, more money is going to find its way into the stock market, bitcoin, commodities, and hookers and blow.

Soldato

Huh, didn't post this draft yesterday...anyway...as has just been said :

On the flip side, loose monetary policy is pushing asset inflation hard...so the bull market probably got legs for quite some time.

But we're in that territory now where the market is looking for a trigger to correct. I pulled all my money out of the markets in November 2019 because I didn't like the risk and wanted to secure the cash for an upcoming house sale. Turned out to be the right call!

All about managing your risk...

Back in the markets now after house sale completed, for the long haul, missed the bottom by a fair bit....still some alarmingly easy and large gains, but holding 30% out right now, just looking for opportunities.

The biggest risk to the markets right now is a vaccine resistant, or otherwise more problematic strain appearing.....that's the big unknown....what does normal look like? No one really knows yet.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I only have 10 percent of my 'cash' not invested. By that I mean excluding value in pensions and house.

Cine still on the up today. I expected a mini retrace today, but its still climbing. A good buy

Soldato
Yeah, Argo up another 20% today too :(

I'm looking forward to getting my portfolio to a decent size. At the moment, even on a share i really believe in i'm only ~£1000 and so whilst a 30% growth is excellent. It's still "only" £300 and so from a wealth perspective doesn't make much impact. I know it'll compound etc, but it can feel you're not really growing particularly.

In a few years i'll be able to increase the level of trades substantially and so it should feel much more worthwhile. Whilst probably increasing stress levels more :p

Caporegime
Yeah, Argo up another 20% today too :(

I'm looking forward to getting my portfolio to a decent size. At the moment, even on a share i really believe in i'm only ~£1000 and so whilst a 30% growth is excellent. It's still "only" £300 and so from a wealth perspective doesn't make much impact. I know it'll compound etc, but it can feel you're not really growing particularly.

In a few years i'll be able to increase the level of trades substantially and so it should feel much more worthwhile. Whilst probably increasing stress levels more :p

Nearly 30 percent now.
Nealy a billion market cap

I'm at a similar level to you. I have 1 bigger holding in a 'safe bet' but mostly 1k here and there.

I'm 50:50 between crypto and S&S now. Still considering more crypto actually.

Back
Top Bottom