Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Soldato
Dumped my airline stocks in May after they had the bounce from things starting to open up. A lot of uncertainty since then, didn't see much immediate upside, so happy to bank it and put them back on the watchlist for a bit.

I think we're in for a bumpy winter as so many places are struggling with vaccination programmes, and we see how much damage the anti-vax bellends cause.

Soldato
I think we're in for a bumpy winter as so many places are struggling with vaccination programmes, and we see how much damage the anti-vax bellends cause.

I think we are in for a bumpy ride across all sectors over the next few months. I can see markets getting spooked as COVID runs wild in the short term. Maybe it will bring some buying opportunity out of another dip. I'm bracing for a hit on my modest portfolio!

Soldato
So I think I am going to pull the plug and take my 24k out of company shares. I am going to do a one-off purchase of VWRP for now.

What is the cheapest platform? Comparison sites are hard to follow as they factor in the transaction cost benefits etc. I see HL will be £45/year, Vanguard doesn't offer VWRP (only VWRL or whatever the Income version is), some don't have VWRP in an ISA account...

Soldato
I think we are in for a bumpy ride across all sectors over the next few months. I can see markets getting spooked as COVID runs wild in the short term. Maybe it will bring some buying opportunity out of another dip. I'm bracing for a hit on my modest portfolio!

We've been on a bumpy ride since the massive dip last year, yet the markets have boomed, I woud have thought if we were going to see another dip it would have happened by now there's been enough negative news to push it but sentiment has remained positive when it comes to markets

Soldato
We've been on a bumpy ride since the massive dip last year, yet the markets have boomed, I woud have thought if we were going to see another dip it would have happened by now there's been enough negative news to push it but sentiment has remained positive when it comes to markets

'boomed' is a strong word, there's been a lot of volatility, much of it on the basis that the vaccines are riding in on a white stallion to save the day.

The outlook for the rest of this year isn't great imo. A lot of potential for poop to hit the fan. Just in the UK, allowing covid to rip through the child population could end up putting us back in lockdown. Any new variants that show signs of evolving around the current vaccine. The damage from covid finally being realised now that furlow scheme has ended.

I'm not selling up, but think there's a very good chance it's going to be downhill for the rest of the year.

Soldato
So I think I am going to pull the plug and take my 24k out of company shares. I am going to do a one-off purchase of VWRP for now.

What is the cheapest platform? Comparison sites are hard to follow as they factor in the transaction cost benefits etc. I see HL will be £45/year, Vanguard doesn't offer VWRP (only VWRL or whatever the Income version is), some don't have VWRP in an ISA account...
Hi all,

Building on the above - I can see my capital gains is $13k. This leads on to my follow on question: I can sell the shares in USD or GBP. The conversion rate they are using is 1 USD = 0.7086 GBP. This doesn't seem too crazy - but is there a better way to e.g. sell in USD and then convert it elsewhere?

Also still looking for any guidance on the cheapest place to buy a one off £20k of VWRP?

Soldato
Well there is over £200 in it vs the interbank rate. You find that Wise or Revolut can exchange more cheaply.

Even if you have pay one month's premium membership at Revolut, you are still better off.

Revolut
$13k x 0.727 = £9,455

Your provider
$13k x 0.7086 = £9,211

Last edited:
Associate
So.... I’ve been buying S&P 500 index funds through Freetrade ISA for the past month or two. I currently have about 3k and have made about £100 to date. I’m currently considering just putting a few hundred in each month but should I be considering buying more rapidly changing stocks?

Caporegime
So.... I’ve been buying S&P 500 index funds through Freetrade ISA for the past month or two. I currently have about 3k and have made about £100 to date. I’m currently considering just putting a few hundred in each month but should I be considering buying more rapidly changing stocks?

Not unless you know what you are doing and by the sounds of it you don't.

If you want to try and beat the market then sure go ahead but 99% chance is you will get rekt. What are you planning on buying?

Soldato
SP500 seems plenty risky enough to me. Again lots of tech stocks in there, Apple Berkshire and Tesla were all excluded for quite a while, liquidity reasons probably. Just make sure you like what you buy, I dont see its 99% rekt no more then anything.

SPY 435.52 4.60 1.07% : SPDR S&P 500 ETF Trust - Yahoo Finance

S&P 500 INDEX, INX:IOM Summary - FT.com

A SIPP will add all your income tax paid back on top to payments if you are planning to long term invest anything; thats about the best simple advice I know as its hard to beat that instant gain that will compound in your favour. Also making that one way commitment might do well to temper any over exuberance people tend to develop in times such as now; we just had amazing yearly gains

Soldato
Well there is over £200 in it vs the interbank rate. You find that Wise or Revolut can exchange more cheaply.

Even if you have pay one month's premium membership at Revolut, you are still better off.

Revolut
$13k x 0.727 = £9,455

Your provider
$13k x 0.7086 = £9,211
Can I deposit a cheque into Revolut though?

Still interested to hear on cheapest platform to chuck £20k at in an ISA!

Associate
Not unless you know what you are doing and by the sounds of it you don't.

If you want to try and beat the market then sure go ahead but 99% chance is you will get rekt. What are you planning on buying?

You are correct I am relatively clueless, I was just curious if you thought it was considering this route. Or maybe recommending a way to start.

Caporegime
You are correct I am relatively clueless, I was just curious if you thought it was considering this route. Or maybe recommending a way to start.

Just buy funds on vanguard.

If you want to buy specific stocks and want help doing that you won't find any from a trustworthy source. They all have something to gain from shilling a stock to you.

Can I deposit a cheque into Revolut though?

Still interested to hear on cheapest platform to chuck £20k at in an ISA!

The cheapest is vanguard. You can easily Google this information too. There is a reason why vanguard gets recommended most of the time.

The only downside with vanguard is its funds and etf only and only their products. Which isn't a bad thing it basically means it only offers noob products which is why noobs should use it. It's noob friendly and low fees.

Soldato
It's relatively easy to work out using this, but it's Vanguard. You could also try this tool it doesn't include Vanguard in the comparison.
The only downside with vanguard is its funds and etf only and only their products. Which isn't a bad thing it basically means it only offers noob products which is why noobs should use it. It's noob friendly and low fees.
I use iWeb every year for our ISAs.
Thanks chaps. I'll take a look at iWeb and the comparison site. I don't think Vanguard stays the cheapest if I go over 20k - it costs 0.15%/30 quid in year 1. If I go a bit over I may be better off at a capped provider?

As an aside PS, it isn't the 'noob' strategy implying you are some kind of stock choosing god, it is just a passive strategy.

No, and all seriousness I didn't even think they still existed. What platform doesn't allow you to withdraw to a bank account?

You could open a dollar account with a bank, then transfer from that. Extra hassle though.
Haha yeah it's a bit annoying. My stock broker is Morgan Stanley and they're not really set up for B2C transactions, so it's cheque or $45(?) for a wire transfer. Is it simply enough to open a USD bank account?

Edit: also I don't think Vanguard offer their own accumulating version of VWRL :o annoying!

Caporegime
Thanks chaps. I'll take a look at iWeb and the comparison site. I don't think Vanguard stays the cheapest if I go over 20k - it costs 0.15%/30 quid in year 1. If I go a bit over I may be better off at a capped provider?

As an aside PS, it isn't the 'noob' strategy implying you are some kind of stock choosing god, it is just a passive strategy.

Haha yeah it's a bit annoying. My stock broker is Morgan Stanley and they're not really set up for B2C transactions, so it's cheque or $45(?) for a wire transfer. Is it simply enough to open a USD bank account?

Edit: also I don't think Vanguard offer their own accumulating version of VWRL :o annoying!

VWRL and just login every quarter and reinvest the dividends yourself.

Noob as in if you do not know how to beat the market then yes you should be using it.

As for over £20k I thought it was £60k but that could have changed. Vanguard has the lowest fees until you hit that sort of level then you can always transfer it out.

Associate
Also still looking for any guidance on the cheapest place to buy a one off £20k of VWRP?

T212 have reopened for European investors, so UK investors should probably be soon. They dont charge trading or platform fees, so could wait, or there might be others out there as well?

I guess it depends - are you looking to use a GIA or ISA?

Are you confused, You have posted about VWRP(Accumulation) and VWRL(Income).

Back
Top Bottom