Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Soldato
Soldato
If there was a chance of peace FXPO would be higher I think. Seems like they will only have slightly less death, not sure they get peace though Ukraine has done better vs a 'superpower' nation then anyone could have predicted. POG POLY and some others are removed from FTSE but trade still, not certain where they go but the price is only 1 years earnings on them. The obvious thing is Putin just seizes private assets and abandons any concept of free markets or free trade, this makes the country much poorer but still the elite will get billions anyway. (Russia recently paid its debt obligations btw)

FXPO for example I used to buy at 50p, its twice that now with no actual business possible. Not saying thats wrong but overall the commodity situation bids vs offers can destroy companies, for finance thats an equally large threat so the commodity market being this bullish is still the over riding factor to decide investment imo. Thats my take generally that overall demand will continue to outdo supply, oil supply has issues and costs to meeting demand. I still reckon BP Shell can return to the pre virus levels though they are damaged, maybe they pay less dividends not sure.

FED raises rates but currency is substantially weakened long term. They are way behind inflation, again prices will rise whatever events happen next. Cash is not going to be king

Last edited:
Soldato
Excellent week this week and the first time i dared to log into my Vanguard account ,my only plan is hold on to my etfs without losing my nerve (been very close) would be nice to build up a decent buffer zone ,i don't have the confidence to trade individual trades ,my worldwide etf has over 4000 company's in it so seeing solid 0.5 to 1 percent daily gains or losses rather than big spikes ,the ftse etf has been a good counterbalance with BP ect being in there
If things go pear shaped again will go back to not looking at my balance and just wait .

Soldato
Excellent week this week and the first time i dared to log into my Vanguard account ,my only plan is hold on to my etfs without losing my nerve (been very close) would be nice to build up a decent buffer zone ,i don't have the confidence to trade individual trades ,my worldwide etf has over 4000 company's in it so seeing solid 0.5 to 1 percent daily gains or losses rather than big spikes ,the ftse etf has been a good counterbalance with BP ect being in there
If things go pear shaped again will go back to not looking at my balance and just wait .
ETFs have done well for me at least. They have been quite resilient to the market volatility but I had been picking less tech heavy ones last year to give some diversity from my company stocks (work in tech).

Caporegime
won't they just do it so you can only authorize a number of devices.

I don't see how they can do it by household because then you would only be able to log in from one geolocation or on one IP address which makes no sense.

people will obviously be watching netflix when commuting, on lunch breaks etc.

are you supposed to get one account per house hold or one per person in it.
Your membership plan determines the number of screens you can watch at the same time, but it does not restrict the number of devices you can associate with your account. If you want to watch on a new or different device, sign in to Netflix on that device.

Caporegime
I'm looking to start heading into some ETF's this coming payday, does anyone have any good suggestions, and is it wise to pick just one?
probably wise to cover a few different index funds. (S&P 500, FTSE100, All world cap, Nasdaq100 etc)
maybe a dividend high yield etf if that's your thing

outside of indexes then
SMT seems popular on here
https://www.bailliegifford.com/en/uk/individual-investors/funds/scottish-mortgage-investment-trust/

maybe the semiconductor one https://www.vaneck.com/uk/en/etf/equity/smh/index
the semiconductor one is on a few different tickers so, if you want some of that then get the currency/exchange you prefer to hold it in.

popping a bit of money in each week is probably better than piling all in on a pay day with how volatile the market has been recently.

Soldato
yep i know i should only check say once a month ,don't know why i do it to myself but it has sparked an interest again ,i originally got a ftse all word large and mid cap tracker but as uk is only 4 percent of this i also got a ftse 100 tracker ,just a personal thing really plus it pays a 4 percent divedend so an extra boost
Another reason for the ftse 100 for me is that my world tracker is usd and not hedged so currency variations wont effect my total portfolio as much

edit for spelling

Last edited:
Soldato
I only check once a month these days since I pulled out of my T212 account and just have my long term HL account, 2 ETF's and 3 normal shares for my monthly, when the shares hit a certain level then I'll move those monthly out to just ETF's as it saves me having to dig around into things as I don't have the time I did when The Rona' landed and I was on furlough, essentially just letting others do it for me..
I might drop some more into the T212 account to play with short term stuff if things pick back up and I have a bit more disposable cash, missus has gone down to a 3 day week so I'm having to cover more at home than usual..

Soldato
I can't seem to find some of those Vanguard ETF's, are they not available on Vanguard UK site?
Most UK people invest in VWRL or if you want something a little less tech heavy VYM. VYM is a high dividend one and there is no auto reinvest (distributing rather than accumulating) on UK funds usually so you’ll need to go in there every quarter and reinvest the funds yourself.

Associate
I can't seem to find some of those Vanguard ETF's, are they not available on Vanguard UK site?

I think if you are looking for the Vanguard Index fund that covers most of the market it is VWRL or VWRP (one pays dividends and the other is accumulating)

Soldato
I have some vwrl but they are an etf not an index fund like Vanguard FTSE Global all cap so vwrl can be traded live for £7.50 on vanguard or lumped together with others for free
Some more hawkish fed noises so may have a rocky ride again this week

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom