Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Soldato
Some platforms will not allow trading but they are still listed as tradable, they wont be included in the FTSE all-share or similar indexes as I understand it. 50% of POLY is in kazackstan apparently

https://www.londonstockexchange.com/stock/POLY/polymetal-international-plc/company-page

VWAP or volume weight average price, where the average buyer in that time frame is winning or losing money. Thats useful, didnt notice it before

AAL exits Thungela for 111m. I closed out AAL in majority but I'll add back over time tbh, is RIO also cheap ?

Caporegime
Looks like polymetal stocks have been suspended?
most platforms stopped the buying of Russian stocks :rolleyes: you can still sell them at a huge loss if you had them before the dump though, probably directly to the broker

because you know, your not allowed to do your own risk assessment, you need a nanny to hold you back.

quick a bank stock probably owns a bunch of Russian shares but is still allowed to trade on the stock market under it's own ticker, call the morality police.

I hope these brokers took a long hard look at $Hood when they decided to forbid trading

Soldato
Still holding my failing Easyjet and UIPath stocks. What a shambolic decision to buy those.

Did you do any dollar cost averaging though? I like to always keep capital so I can invest more in down markets.

GitLab has been a good buy. Bought even just after they put out their earnings and seemed completely undersold, and they're up 43%.
But then I bought Roblox in Nov at ATH's so you know :D I have bought through the downs though, so my average price is decent on that now.

I have like 5 "pies" in T212 - I created a cannabis one and TILRAY is the best performing recently on that, too, as the fed is talking about passing a federal law on cannabis. It's ATH was like 140, I bought at like $6, so I think it has scope, so does the interwebs.

I also have a REITs pie, which is performing well against the market in general. It's up 10% since Nov and I only have about $1k in that one, but it pays OK dividends as well.

I also put together a nice Energy pie, which is performing best of all. I researched new energy vs. traditional energy companies and balanced them all in a "pie" which looks like:

1278FvB.png

Again, only another 1k in there but I add to these pies every month about 250 to each.

Soldato
tilray was a WSB favourite meme stock :D
I saw that earlier this week! I bought mine a while back, pre these announcements. I just figure the world will one day legalize all this and it'll come rocketing, but who knows! haha

@randomshenans Tilray was my free share from T212, would have never heard of it otherwise. Looks like i was lucky!
I like free shares. I got a couple from BUX for referrals and I got pelaton (-12%), air france (-0.55%) and GoPro (+8.79%!!)

Caporegime
I saw that earlier this week! I bought mine a while back, pre these announcements. I just figure the world will one day legalize all this and it'll come rocketing, but who knows! haha
it was a meme stock long before that back when the GME thing happened.

weren't they supposed to be merging with some other company called alpha or something like that

ahh it was Aphria they merged with
google trends suggests it was a meme around about 1 year ago
d5jam2l.jpg

Soldato
I also put together a nice Energy pie, which is performing best of all. I researched new energy vs. traditional energy companies and balanced them all in a "pie" which looks like:

1278FvB.png

Again, only another 1k in there but I add to these pies every month about 250 to each.

COP i got with other big names at the Xmas dip, nice div and then sold quite quickly wish I hadnt and PSX I have long term but apparently they dont gain from high oil that much.
EOG, CHK, ET and WMB are interesting but perhaps the time to be bullish gas pipe revenue was 1 or 2 years ago, they done really well. OPEC and all the other political factors makes it difficult, just going via a fund and the FTSE itself is ok for me mostly.
Dont know the other names; energy will do well either way I think so long as world GDP expands and some vast economies much bigger then the west develop usefully requiring all commodities. Regular invest and not relying on one name in particular sounds good to me

Soldato
OPEC and all the other political factors makes it difficult, just going via a fund and the FTSE itself is ok for me mostly.
Dont know the other names; energy will do well either way I think so long as world GDP expands and some vast economies much bigger then the west develop usefully requiring all commodities. Regular invest and not relying on one name in particular sounds good to me
Yea, I considered a clean energy ETF, but wanted a bit of a balance between current demand and future, so slapping them in my own seemed decent. I can't say I know many of them well, I spent a day researching online different companies tipped this year for both sides and these were the names that kept coming up. That was good enough for me :D

My REITs I got from someone's YT video haha and had 250 in there to start but they kept performing well, so keep topping them up!

Soldato
Noob question — what’s the best way to take profits? :o

I’ve DCA’d on a stock — 10 instalments of 25 shares each time.

In total, I’m up 87% — I was going to wait until it had doubled and then take out my original investment.

Should I:

1. Sell my cheapest shares so that I need to sell fewer shares to take out my original investment, even though this will increase my average cost per-share for the shares I’m keeping.

2. Sell my most expensive shares. I will have to sell more of them to extract my original investment but the shares I have left will be at a lower cost average.

3. Split my existing tranches in half (sell ~12 shares at each price-point so my cost average remains the same and I have exactly half the number of shares.

What’s best?

*Edit* Just realised Option 3 won’t work in practice so would have to weight the sale from one end or the other.

Last edited:
Associate
Noob question — what’s the best way to take profits? :o

I’ve DCA’d on a stock — 10 instalments of 25 shares each time.

In total, I’m up 87% — I was going to wait until it had doubled and then take out my original investment.

Should I:

1. Sell my cheapest shares so that I need to sell fewer shares to take out my original investment, even though this will increase my average cost per-share for the shares I’m keeping.

2. Sell my most expensive shares. I will have to sell more of them to extract my original investment but the shares I have left will be at a lower cost average.

3. Split my existing tranches in half (sell ~12 shares at each price-point so my cost average remains the same and I have exactly half the number of shares.

What’s best?

*Edit* Just realised Option 3 won’t work in practice so would have to weight the sale from one end or the other.

not sure why it matters. You're just selling shares, doesn't matter what price you bought them. The only thing that might matter is harvesting capital gains

Soldato
not sure why it matters. You're just selling shares, doesn't matter what price you bought them. The only thing that might matter is harvesting capital gains

I’m thinking about the shares that I leave in-play. Is it better to have more shares at a higher average price or fewer shares at a lower average price?

If I sell the most expensive shares first, the price can dip further before I end up in the red, but I will have had to sell more shares in order to recover my original investment.

I assume there’s a break-even point where it doesn’t matter either way but I thought there might be something I had overlooked.

Soldato
I’m thinking about the shares that I leave in-play. Is it better to have more shares at a higher average price or fewer shares at a lower average price?

If I sell the most expensive shares first, the price can dip further before I end up in the red, but I will have had to sell more shares in order to recover my original investment.

I assume there’s a break-even point where it doesn’t matter either way but I thought there might be something I had overlooked.
It only matters if dividend are issued per share (keep the most shares possible, sell the expensive ones) or capital gains tax is a consideration. If you sell before April 5th or whatever the date is I'd shift the cheaper ones but it may not be an issue for you anyway.

Back
Top Bottom