Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Soldato
I put over 50k into vanguard lifestrategy 40 (60 percent bonds) so i believed the blurb about bonds been the safe option but didnt do my own research ,lost 1k that i have since clawed back on etfs but had i kept them would be much more of a loss ,i know things like this are long term but when stocks and bonds tank together its phytologically hard to stomach

Something like that should be looked at as a five to ten year investment at a minimum.

Soldato
Something like that should be looked at as a five to ten year investment at a minimum.

This - @moon man - you really should NOT be investing £50k into anything, if you pull it out after a £1k "loss"....

Investing any funds should be seen as a medium to long term investment, and most certainly not "cashed in" / "crystalising losses" so quickly....

You should have a serious think about your attitude to risk/time frame/ capacity for loss before investing funds like that.

Soldato
The price tag is not going to describe the item, even on value its separated from the company itself. Quickest solution I can think of to solve that thinking is read about Mr. Market and theres multiple articles, books etc. The other point is avoid lump sum, buy every month for years and perhaps selling in a lump or larger portions is closer to valid. Slow up fast down is how it goes often

Warren Buffett describes The Intelligent Investor (1949) as "the best book about investing ever written."[4] Graham exhorted the stock market participant to first draw a fundamental distinction between investment and speculation.

6 to 10 years is long term. I did think the agriculture fertiliser market would be valid on that time scale, would be nicer if AAL got cashflow before 2030 on the yorkshire mine - https://www.pressreader.com/uk/the-mail-on-sunday/20220410/284064850258959 https://uk.angloamerican.com/the-woodsmith-project anyway I think they are valid generally, lower price helps if you can add some on the fears which creeps in more generally but is not valid equally to every company.

Some of the current war is destroying productive capacity for the world, its going to have secondary impact 10's thousands of miles away from economies dependent on Ukraine. UK even but also poorer countries where food is a larger part of costs. More inflation, bad for the economy but likely supports commodity pricing between years. The economy suffering will mean market suffers setbacks. Good to see they replaced POLY with another gold miner in the Index EDV. I'll try to post a commodities video if I see one rather then a wall of text :p

Can we ask for a referall privately ? I presume its similar to freetrade but they dont list RR which dont make sense when its FT100 stock. The spread means these are probably only best used for small trades. The best broker I ever had was a large French bank which scanned the level 2 order book, does any broker do anything close to that now barring actual access.

DXY or Dollar index is at its high for 2 decades, thats probably something to write at the top of any price headlines. I do still think the opposite can occur and currency is actually very weak. I hate the idea of bonds just to be blunt I dont expect them to return much, QE has ruined them. EURO is 60% of DXY hence that peak inversely, europe can suffer greatly if lacking energy

Last edited:
Associate
In November my stocks and BTC/ETH were about 1.2 million USD, now it’s more like 550K USD. Just gotta suck it up and not think too much. It will get better.

Probably should have taken some off the table because in my bank accounts I literally have no money.

Caporegime
Where can you do this, in the UK? I always see these posts use Robinhood etc but what about us in the UK?

Bit of a different market, IG offers some options though they're really done OTC with IG as the counterparty AFAIK. Not exactly a wide selection, mostly indices and FX but some big US stocks too like Tesla, Apple, Amazon etc.

UK market for single stock options is a fair bit smaller, you can access exchange-traded options vis a broker like interactive brokers.

Soldato
In November my stocks and BTC/ETH were about 1.2 million USD, now it’s more like 550K USD. Just gotta suck it up and not think too much. It will get better.

Probably should have taken some off the table because in my bank accounts I literally have no money.
Hindsight is great and all that, what is the split between stocks/crypto.

Associate
I just can't hit a good share at the minute, just keeps falling.

Biggest loss at the moment is 17,000 shares in RR at 18% loss, excluding company shares which is another 7k which are down 25% but I didn't pay for those...!

Barclays another 10% down, across my portfolio nothing is blue! depressing, just trying to ignore it, its hard though.

Soldato
Is it time to sell out? I can't see much positive news anywhere in near term.

Always been bad at cashing out.
If you're going to cash out, at least do it after one of the upticks.

I've avoided a fair bit of the downturn by dipping in and out. Right now I think a fair bit of stuff is quite attractively priced. I'm up a fair bit on AMD that I'm now going to hang on to. I'm going to try and divest a bit of SMT and get into more semiconductors as I think they're going to recover strongly from the current doom and gloom.

Caporegime
If you're going to cash out, at least do it after one of the upticks.

I've avoided a fair bit of the downturn by dipping in and out. Right now I think a fair bit of stuff is quite attractively priced. I'm up a fair bit on AMD that I'm now going to hang on to. I'm going to try and divest a bit of SMT and get into more semiconductors as I think they're going to recover strongly from the current doom and gloom.

It's a hard one. I've always been poor (crypto and stocks) getting out.

After covid it was easy. Just buy everything you can. It was a sharp dip. This is much harder. The next 6 months for a lot of people are bleak. But I cannot work out which stocks are buy/sell. And how much resilience the market has to this.
I've even read up on losses from previous crashes.

Oh, I think it might have been you who advised buying that UEC was a bad call. I did sell up after that. Right call.

Soldato
Why would you cash out? I don't get that. If you believe the companies etc. will crash and never return, sure, but if you do, why would you have bought into them? Best bet is to dollar cost average and ride it out. At the very least sit it out and wait. Selling in a down market is madness.

Soldato
Why would you cash out? I don't get that. If you believe the companies etc. will crash and never return, sure, but if you do, why would you have bought into them? Best bet is to dollar cost average and ride it out. At the very least sit it out and wait. Selling in a down market is madness.
I think we are seeing a generational thing here. Folk who have known nothing but gains for such a long while, where trading was literally a lottery/pump and dump in a lot of cases.

Retail has been a priority for big hedgies (Citadel etc) as there is a new wave of bag holders :D

Soldato
It's a hard one. I've always been poor (crypto and stocks) getting out.

After covid it was easy. Just buy everything you can. It was a sharp dip. This is much harder. The next 6 months for a lot of people are bleak. But I cannot work out which stocks are buy/sell. And how much resilience the market has to this.
I've even read up on losses from previous crashes.

Oh, I think it might have been you who advised buying that UEC was a bad call. I did sell up after that. Right call.
Remember that all the bleakness you see.....everyone else sees. The outlook short term is awful...we're in the phase where all the bad news is landing.

The people that come out of these market downturns smelling of roses, are the people that bought, not the people that sold. You're far too late to make selling worthwhile imo.

The smart play right now is pick some solid businesses you think will recover, buy em and don't look again for six months.

Soldato
The people that come out of these market downturns smelling of roses, are the people that bought, not the people that sold. You're far too late to make selling worthwhile imo.
This was my point.

I have stocks I will be continuing to buy every month. Regardless.
I'll continue to contribute to my ETFs, REITs and I have a handful of others I'll continue to accumulate over the year.

Back
Top Bottom