Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Caporegime
Housey;30498605 said:
Go read the thread dowie, note the mods comment.

I've read the thread and the person you quoted was clearly talking about simply investing his spare cash, nothing at all to do with trying to make a living from investing. Your ambiguous quote was either irrelevant (if you were talking about making a living) or wrong(if you were actually referring to the post you quoted).

Anyway I think nightwish's links hopefully clear some of that up.

Soldato
Literally the small print on the offer is marked expired on the sticker but yep a bit iffy. They always refund me on stuff like that, I think retail has bigger issues overall

C4igcklVMAA_jUq.jpg

Iron gains another 5 dollars, hope it doesnt turn out to be a fake peak type bubble. This is China surely, if its all from Trump Im going to be disappointed I know.
USA spending even more then they can afford for yet another term of office is fake (old) news :p

Soldato
Probably a common question, answered many times but any recommended brokers to use?

Checked out Barlcays 'Market Master' with £11.95 charge per deal, but noticed they have a quaterly charge of £12 + VAT if you don't do any trades?

I'm looking for a broker that just charges for the deal, that's it. Do any exist? I notice HSBC also charge £10.50 inc VAT per quarter...

Soldato
For self managed you should only be paying per transaction, should also be a fixed amount regardless of trade size.

If you dont already have an ISA you could look into a self managed stocks and shares ISA.

Soldato
Can anyone recommend an online broker? It's a minefield just from having a Google about.

Was looking to maybe try and jump on the AMD shares bandwagon with a small amount to get a feel for how it all operates.

I think iweb lowered their signup fee and allow Nasdaq trade for a fiver plus 1% forex cost. Or try Halifax who do offers
Originally Posted by halifax
Pay less for your share dealing, 12:15 to 14:15 on 15th February
on 15th February, you’ll have the chance to buy or sell UK shares for just £3.95 commission per trade. That’s a £8.55 reduction on the usual price of £12.50 – a 68% reduction.

It’ll be available for a two-hour window on 15th February, from 12:15 until 14:15. And we’re applying the same great offer to trades on international stocks between 08:00 and 21:00. So put a note in your diary now.
out of date but big list of brokers - https://the-international-investor.com/comparison-tables/cheapest-uk-online-stockbrokers

https://t.co/71sjJdZ4O4
Buffet made 1bn in 6 weeks from one share, Apple. Unfortunately Ive sold into the rally too much via orders, I have none left now but its probably a fair hold still

Last edited:
Soldato
For self managed you should only be paying per transaction, should also be a fixed amount regardless of trade size.

If you dont already have an ISA you could look into a self managed stocks and shares ISA.

Yup, self managed. Correct me if I am wrong but Barclays and HSBC are charging per quarter for inactivity?

Associate
See above. Too add you are actually supporting my point. You can't create capital to a large enough volume to allow you to make it your life.

Why can't you mate? I pull in £2.4k a month post tax, spend £1200 and save £1200. Thats compounding hard and means each year I add >£12k a year to savings. Even assuming no wage growth and 8% return on investment over 20 years that should turn into ~£700k. If you have time and relative dedication you can.

Soldato
Why can't you mate? I pull in £2.4k a month post tax, spend £1200 and save £1200. Thats compounding hard and means each year I add >£12k a year to savings. Even assuming no wage growth and 8% return on investment over 20 years that should turn into ~£700k. If you have time and relative dedication you can.

Don't disagree that it can be done, but very few people have £1200 a month spare from a wage of £2.4k. Highly unusual to have 50% of your income spare to allow you to save. Good luck to you.

Caporegime
Decided I've had enough of aim. In last 3 months I've had a dilution on 2 of 3 holdings that seemed to be going well.

Ones I've done better on are when a company paying a dividend has had a market reaction beyond what is reasonable.

BP on its blow put
The oil price crash I bought PFC
Lloyd's after brexit
Royal mail ipo
Now bought BT

Anything over 5pc div with a relatively stable div seems to be ideal.

PFC has been my absolute star, reliable 6pc div, bought at 666p

FTSE 250 particularly

AIM seems like near gambling.

Every single AIM share has gone up, and either I haven't sold, or some sprung news has crashed it.
Big stinger was sxx dilution. And I should have seen it coming.

Soldato
8% above inflation every year for 20 years would make for a mini me Woodford or Buffet. Thats better then probably the majority of fund managers paid 6 figures. I miss the days of when I could go and get 10% interest on my savings at the PO, that was even offered fixed for five years.
However £1 then is worth like 53p now so it was just headline gain, most obviously shows in house prices.

Im sure we havent seen the last of 10% rates etc Its upto China maybe, I'd love to know the new trend ahead of time. I just assume gold will do well or at least retain its value and China is selling dollars buying gold
C4x8f0fW8AQZdr-.jpg:large

https://t.co/h3qA4csplc

that sounds like a great way to rip people off
I pretty much agree but he said small trade so % fees are ok then.

Big stinger was sxx dilution. And I should have seen it coming.
Ive not read what kind of yield did they got that debt issued at. It was expensive, not good for shares. I think the bigger worry then would be that the plan works and within budget, investment and debt pays off and the shares will come good.
BT needs its big deals to retain customers and for its control of the uk backbone to continue profitably I guess. I far prefer the other shares you listed longer term
RMG is a utility but depreciating in its use I guess. I think they are mostly ok as they own a good amount of land in excess, asset rich and can still improve efficiency

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom