Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Soldato
rofl... is the future grim in your knowledge circles?

Just my personal opinion, I've never fancied the company much. Maybe you can spot value though. The company is worth only £67m according to the ticker price, but then they have nearly £1.5bn in liabilities and lost over £491m this year!

Permabanned
Are the shareholders usually the ones that get screwed when the company gets liquidated?

How is it that the big guns manage to asset strip so effectively?

NVP

NVP

Soldato
If you have a feeling about the long-term future of a company and wish to invest in shares but have never done anything previously... who would you use/how would you go about it?

Thanks

Man of Honour
nVidia shares have dropped nearly 50% in the last 2 months, obviously fuelled by the arse falling out of crypto/mining. Anyone tempted, or do you reckon it's still too early to buy back in?

Tech sector in general seeing quite a drop at the moment I think the bottom hasn't been found yet. Timing will depend a lot on their 7nm releases and/or future progress with automotive offerings. I suspect there will be an announcement around February which will see their share price spike up a bit but probably temporarily. I have a lot of uncertainty to the long term prospects - my gut is that it will dwindle into April before picking up (other than temporary blips) again but also possible that it will stabilise longer term close to the level it is now rather than bouncing back depending on how well stuff like 7nm pans out for them in reality.

Caporegime
Tech sector in general seeing quite a drop at the moment I think the bottom hasn't been found yet. Timing will depend a lot on their 7nm releases and/or future progress with automotive offerings. I suspect there will be an announcement around February which will see their share price spike up a bit but probably temporarily. I have a lot of uncertainty to the long term prospects - my gut is that it will dwindle into April before picking up (other than temporary blips) again but also possible that it will stabilise longer term close to the level it is now rather than bouncing back depending on how well stuff like 7nm pans out for them in reality.

Too much caution because of the bond yield scaring people, i doubt there will be big rises until that's either gone away or a recession begins.

Associate
I don't know your age but I'd look at building up a fund in index trackers. Not exciting to be honest but if you can spend time in the market and build up a reasonable lump then compound interest should work it's magic and you will have a half decent pension.

Obvs save into your pension at work ( I am self-employed so I'm doing the index fund thing )

Have a look at The Escape Artist Website. He has a lot of good advice for folk investing small regular amounts.

Thats a good site, thanks!

One query though.. seems to be lot on making sure you pick an index fund with a small management fee.
I have an old acount with H&L , do they charge you 0.45% on your portfolio each year just to hold / manage it (On top of any fee any particular index may have 0.09%-0.22%)?
Part of the advice from Escape artist was to try and get a fund <0.25%, but management fee is gonna wipe that out. Or is H&L not the place to do that type of investment.

Last edited:
Associate
Anyone taken a chance with the big dip in Asos shares?

I bought £1k worth a little while back. Performed great at first; up about 30%. After this recent ridiculous slump I’m down over 50%.....wouldn’t mind but they are still making profit! They’ve just reduced growth projection and boom - share price screwed.

Soldato
In my opinion there is no end to the bull run, companies will continue to make more money and these temporary dips are the result of many external influences coming together at once, not least the Trump vs China sabre-rattling.

This time next year all of the stocks will be at new highs, I would (and have) bet a great deal of money on that. If I had more liquidity at the moment I would gobble up more AMZN and BABA shares.

The only people who seem to really panic in these situaitons are people who look to buy and sell in the short term. For us long buyers, patience is key.

Still sticking by that one? :p

I've pulled half my money out. Still net up for the year, but less exposed, and a war chest to take advantage of the carnage. I don't think we're at the bottom yet.

Until the morons in Westminster and the tangerine tool in the White House are gone, I can't see any upside, everything they're doing is a drag on the global economy.

Tempted to buy more Nvidia as I still think they're a good long term hold, especially at these prices, but I've already got quite a large holding and don't want to be too exposed in case there's some drama.

Man of Honour
Tempted to buy more Nvidia as I still think they're a good long term hold, especially at these prices, but I've already got quite a large holding and don't want to be too exposed in case there's some drama.

IMO a moderate chance long term they might stabilise in the ball park of current value but definitely not hit a bottom yet - still dropping especially with the general trajectory ongoing - good chance they'll go as low as 80 though I don't see them going forever downward.

Soldato
If in doubt post a float adjusted graph. I think Yahoo or google used to do them, most places only show price not shares issued or market cap which is misleading. Also FT used to give a graph including dividends issued (in the value line shown) which is another way to lose track in a proper comparison

https://www.ft.com/content/026bda9c-bfc1-11e8-95b1-d36dfef1b89a
Thought this was interesting, big merger. Goodbye to one of the UK listed largest gold miners as of Jan 3rd I think. I have them in a sector fund luckily, dont think its a great time to exit but all with a FTSE tracker will afaik

oFcHfj0.jpg

great big data drop, returns of sectors annually. Only cash won this year which is unprecedented (we have/will horrible inflation imo so makes little sense)

Associate
Anyone here trade ETFs successfully? Like JNUG JDST DGAZ UGAZ. They seem much easier to keep track of than traditional stocks.

I've been watching JNUG for 2 years and it's been bouncing off $12/share for like the entire 2 years or more, now has found a new bottom at $6.

Soldato
After ignoring my own advice earlier in the year (this bull market is going to pop and correct soon), and getting burned...I'm buying while there's blood in the streets (mostly mine :p). Picked up some more nVidia. Way oversold at the moment imo, I'm pretty sure once results start coming in in the new year this selling phase will be over as everyone realizes these businesses are still fundamentally good buys.

Associate
I've been gifted some stocks. With this current brexit mess up, would selling anytime soon could be quite bad right? I'm tempted to shift off some low performers for some better long term projectors

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom