Trance DJ Question

Soldato
I recently downloaded a clip of Tiesto live at The Bridge in HD.

I recognise all the songs, but does he simply play the songs from vinyl and overlap them, or do different bits of the songs get mixed together as the song is played.

For example, if you listen to Traffic - Tiesto, it has 3 different styles of beat before reaching the rave bit. Is this one record, or is he mixing the beats from different vinyls?

I only ask because in the video he seems to be awfully busy the whole time if all he's doing is playing songs as they are but mixing the intros/outros!!??

Cheers,

Soldato
Don't suppose you could tell me where you got it from? Email in trust, would really appreciate it. :D

The job of a DJ goes far beyond mixing in intros and outros, it's a complicated business if you want to make it sound a bit more interesting. There's a lot to it. AFAIK Tiesto uses CDJs so that opens up all sorts of possibilities for looping and interesting effects to be queued up on the fly. Add to that tweaking the EQs for different bits of the song to bring up certain parts of the original and there's a fair to do.

Soldato
I'd need to see the video to give a proper answer but i find it unlikely that tiesto would have 3 tracks on the go at once, he struggles to mix just the 2 together! As a technique though it's certainly possible to use 3 or more decks/CDjs simultaneously, Eddie Halliwell and James Zabiela are 2 names that spring to mind. Using software such as 'Ableton Live' DJs can incorporate several tracks at any one time, adding extra loops and samples, maybe vocal accapellas and effectively remixing a track on the fly.

As for what he was doing to make himself look awfully busy, i would suggest he might be beat matching the next track to the one currently playing ready to be mixed in or even just pretending to be busy to justify the ridiculous prices he charges

Soldato
downloading the video at the moment will have a look

3 turntable stuff isn't unheard of, but DJs like tiesto can beatmatch in seconds (damn them :mad: ) so i would imagine hes fiddling with the EQ or just making himself look busy :p

Soldato
i remember watching carl cox going akabusi on 4 turntables and just thinking wow i cant even use 2 :p

the james zabiela vids on the pioneer site are worth a watch

at worst he could have just been doing a sasha and pretending to be busy while his mix was all setup on ableton :p

Soldato
watching it just now

hes got 2 techs and 2 cdjs there so some 3 or 4 turntable shizzle could be going on, cueing and beatmatching 4 tracks is gonna take a bit of time

also the mixer (xone 92) has a 4 band EQ and filters so perhaps he's fiddling with them too

edit - all of the effects he does in traffic sounds like hes using the filters on the mixer (high pass, low pass)

:D

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I really like Tiesto. The version I downloaded was 5.2GB and in 720p HD.

It does make sense that he's changing the EQ because I honestly can't imagine what else he'd be doing.

Soldato
From Jesselyn - Omnia (tech trance remix) into Tiesto - Traffic is just a regular mix and a poor one at that. Certainly no 3 deck action going on there. I honestly think it's a disgrace that a DJ of his stature can get away with mixing this poor so frequently. DJs are only human, you expect the odd mistake every now and then but you're guaranteed a whole plate full every time you see tiesto.

He's never been the best mixer in the world, if you listen back to his old sets from 99/00 he was just as bad then but he made up for it then by playing fantasticly energetic and good quality trance. His sets nowadays are just full to the brim with his own productions which is great the first time you see him but it gets very boring very quickly. Everything else is usually watered down fluffy trance and he's even started playing lots of house as well.

I used to love Tiesto about 3 years ago, he was very much one of the reasons I got so heavily into trance but i've certainly gone off him since then. I've seen him live 3 times, one of those times was an incredible night at cream amnesia which i will never forgot, the other 2 times were average at best. Production wise i like quite a bit of his stuff and i'm very much looking forward to hearing some of the work he's done with BT.

and lastly... will someone please shoot that ****ing MC!!!!!!! :p

Last edited:
Soldato
I've listened to this now and I'm with you Pete. If a bedroom DJ set had turned out a set like this it wouldn't have impressed me, certainly does nothing to confirm his place as one of the top DJs. Having said that though there aren't many Tiesto tunes I don't like and it seems he is living off past glories and people are prepared to pay so fair play to him.

Soldato
Grrrrr said:
Carl Cox is a mad man :D I must make sure i see him at some point this year

me too and im not even that keen on the music he plays

only seen him twice because of this but he blew my mind each time :)

tiesto must be the most overrated person ever (not just in music ) just cant understand how so many people love him so much . hes obviously good , but not the best by a long way

PS i might be slightly biast in the above considering i havent listened to trance for over a year

Last edited:
Caporegime
One More Solo said:
I've listened to this now and I'm with you Pete. If a bedroom DJ set had turned out a set like this it wouldn't have impressed me, certainly does nothing to confirm his place as one of the top DJs. Having said that though there aren't many Tiesto tunes I don't like and it seems he is living off past glories and people are prepared to pay so fair play to him.

I don't rate any of his productions apart from his Silence remix.

Sadly, he's a big name because of his productions, not his djing ability, which sucks.

As for the original topic, I do some mash-ups and edits in my 2 ableton mixes.

Kinda have to when you cram 50 tracks into a 3 hour mix ;)

http://www.mixdepot.net/kr00t0n/PlayingFavourites
http://www.mixdepot.net/kr00t0n/SecondBest

Soldato
Yeh, i agree he is more well known for his productions rather than his DJ talent. Both times i've seen him though he has been spot on, but i think the 'craze' associated with him has subsided now and hes just living off his name at the moment. His Dance 4 Life aids tune wasn't that good to be honest, it was ok, but not brilliant. I'm more into Sander Van Doorn, Eddie Halliwell, Ferry Corsten etc atm.

Downin your mixes now kr00t0n, some crackin tunes on the tracklist.

Soldato
Check out Tiesto's 'Magik' Compilation series, now they really are good (IMO), number 6 in particular

Edit - is the email in your trust the one you use?

Soldato
hmmm

if you think something like crasher is £20 a ticket and they pack 2000 people in thats £40,000 :eek: add on drinks prices erm another £40,000 probably?

£80,000 divided by:

DJs
staff
bouncers
bills
drinks

and if each DJ does a 2 hour set and there are 4 of them i'd imagine they get about £3000-4000 each? even after all the outgoings i imagine mr gatecrasher makes a fair few bob :)

just a rough guess but per hour it pays VERY well indeed :D

Soldato
id hate to think what carl cox or tiesto make for a 4 hour set :eek:

i guess the clubs will be happy to make only small profits for the night because of the publicity it would bring having "superstar djs :p " play there

quote from erol alkan on his forum though after a rumour went round ireland saying he was getting paid 12 000 euros to play at UCD

dunno if i'm more shocked about the whitewash just handed to jade goody on C4 or that i'm getting paid enourmous fee's!

just for the record, i am not getting paid, and wouldnt even accept fee's like that,

but i am extremely curious as to where this kind of nonsense begins, and/or why its said

e x

thats the UCD pretty much owned then considering they where charging silly silly ticket prices and it sold out.... :p

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom