Transfer data Old to New PC.

EJB

EJB

Associate
Just ordered new OC PC.
Want to transfer by a cable (USB?) old to new...
Have plenty of external hard drives for back up etc.
Only have one monitor but would like to do it in one operation with both PCs...is this possible?
Please?

Associate
Quickest way is to temporarily swap the hard drive in to the new computer if you don't want to do that to can network the pc's share what ever folders on the network you want to copy over. dont think you can simply connect two pc's by usb without a special cable

Don
There are ways of doing (Indeed you can get paid products that will do it on mass e.g. https://web.laplink.com/product/pcmover-home/#tabs2 or https://www.zinstall.com/) but arguably you are better off just moving any important documents and files using an external hard drive (which helps avoid taking any built-up rubbish e.g. unnecessary software/old registry settings etc across).

Some other options here:

Soldato
Options I'd be looking at:
- Remotely share folders over a network and transfer
- Depending on how much data (and if you're ok with it) utilise onedrive to remotely back up required folders - obviously speed of internet is a factor here.
- Use the external drives to backup everything and then transfer over. A backup of important data isn't a bad idea anyway.
- Grab an external usb caddy for the old pc drive, take it out of old pc, stick in caddy then transfer over.

The external USB drive is likely the easiest option and a good way to 'clean out the junk' as you go, plus you get a secondary backup at the end of it on the external drive(s).

I'd also consider if you don't already do this to have a second drive (assuming case can take second drive) for your 'data storage' so it's not on the same drive as your OS, makes life a lot easier if you ever need to reinstall windows (disconnect drive, reinstall, reconnect, re-link folders to username)

EJB

EJB

Associate
OP
Thanks so far.
My big hiccup is how to run two Desktops with one monitor at the same time.
I am swaying more and more to external hard drives to move data...don't really want to physically move internal drives.
I make regular backups so external space isn't a problem.
PS. Old PC is one SSD and one hard drive whereas new PC is one SSD only
PSS. All Windows 10 and 11.

Last edited:

EJB

EJB

Associate
OP
Depending on what connections the monitor and pcs have, you could connect one pc via e.g. VGA, and the other via DVI and switch between the two via an "input" button on the monitor
Thank you all...will try that when the time comes...otherwise I will probably copy what I can on external drives and reinstall where appropriate.
Recently set up a new laptop to mirror one of our PCs so I won't be completely in the dark.....then our second and No 1 PC has to be replaced....I might get it all right by then!?
Again, Thank You all.:)

Associate
you need something like a kvm switch device..monitor, keyboard and mouse connect to device, then both pc's connect connect to device also...then just flick switch to move from one pc to other. You can program to do on keyboard..Think used to have shift+alt+1 for pc 1, shift+alt+2 for pc 2, but you can program any combo, but that depending on the switch and cost

just google below..cost £29.99 for kvm setup which can take 2 pc...£30...button on top with led ring green/blu depending which pc you're on

KVM Switch HDMI 2 Port Box,ABLEWE USB and HDMI Switch for 2 Computers Share Keyboard Mouse and one HD Monitor,Support UHD 4K@30Hz,with 2 USB Cable and 2 HDMI Cabl​

above is just a cheap example I haven't tried, and no hot keys so can't say whether it's good or not. Can't remember the one I had at work, but was pricey amd linked 3 pc to 6 screens

if you're going to be sharing data, maybe worth maybe investing in a nas device...

Last edited:
Soldato
If it's just general data, documents, photos etc - if your external drive(s) are large enough, just copy it over and then copy it back onto your new PC for simplicity sake.

Make sure you keep a backup btw i.e. on the external drive and/or cloud backups are very handy too, for any critical data/photos/files etc you don't ever want to lose.

EJB

EJB

Associate
OP
Plenty of external drives for direct copy and transfer.....I backup our three PCs monthly with AOMEI and also copy and paste general date from the storage drive.
Thanks again.
PS Custom build and told it was shipped today....24 Hours!!

EJB

EJB

Associate
OP
PS to my thread....
Ordered my Custom build on Wednesday 18th received afternoon Friday 20th.....WOW.
Transferred everything via external hard drive which worked well.
Now to change my wife's in a few weeks time...hers is used for business and pleasure so important it's correct.
My change over took a couple of days...Sat/Sun...at my age that's a real win!

Thank You..Overclockers:cool:

Associate
PS to my thread....
Ordered my Custom build on Wednesday 18th received afternoon Friday 20th.....WOW.
Transferred everything via external hard drive which worked well.
Now to change my wife's in a few weeks time...hers is used for business and pleasure so important it's correct.
My change over took a couple of days...Sat/Sun...at my age that's a real win!

Thank You..Overclockers:cool:
so what did you get? Pic? Enjoy

Back
Top Bottom