1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Travel Insurance and Immunisation for China?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GSWAudio, Feb 14, 2016.

1. GSWAudio

Gangster

I'm going to China for just over one week and need to know what to do with this stuff. I have had a look on a few websites including the gov.uk site for travelling. They say to talk to your GP which I will do just wondering about others experience. Mainly, though, I want to know where to get the best medical travel insurance. This will be my first time outside Europe and so haven't taken out private health insurance before. I would like a good to very good one depending on price (I have no idea how much it will cost). Advise much appreciated. Oh yeh I'm going to Shenzhen.

Thanks

2. Efour

Caporegime

rip

3. Stovepipes

Wise Guy

4. hughtrimble

Mobster

Go to your GP ASAP, as some jabs require quite a lot of lead time. That being said, what they will suggest you get will depend heavily on what you are doing - things like Hep B jabs likely only recommended if you're going to be away from areas with modern sanitation and in close contact with locals. If they do recommend it, then shop around - you can get them for free from STI clinics, or pay upwards of £100 from your GP.

5. Cosimo

Man of Honour

6. Craig321

Capodecina

As above, when I went to China, they said you only really need jabs if you're going to the middle of nowhere... I didn't get them... ended up spending a good few days in the middle of nowhere, walking a completely deserted bit of the Great Wall :D :p

7. robgmun

Capodecina

Yeah i didn't get any jabs and travel insurance is just your normal travel insurance. It's not really a 3rd world country anymore, only some remote parts are like that but even then it's beautiful and not that dangerous unless you start shouting about Democracy over there

8. Delvis

Caporegime

Yes go see your GP and state where it is you are going in China.

Most jabs don't NEED to be done miles in advance, it's primarily the malaria one that's a bit of an arse.

But yes, see the GP as you may be able to get them for free, otherwise you'll need to go private.

9. Craig321

Capodecina

Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
  10. Delvis

Caporegime

11. GeX

Soldato

That'll be Hep B.

I got jabs for Thailand, my local GP messed up the appointment for me (called 30 mins before the appointment time and told me it was booked with the wrong person, come back in 3 weeks) so I gave up in the end and went private. Had them done there and then.

12. Feef

Wise Guy

Vaccine wise, for Shenzhen, I'd suggest nothing, except maybe the hep a (booster?) and b ones as posted.

Insurance, whatever's cheapest, unless a company has a particularly good being hit by a stupid driver policy.

Edit: this is not medical advice etcetc, speak to your doctor, but you're not going to a rural backwater, typhoid, tetanus etc are generally useful, but "China" (omg, thousands of miles of nothing) and "Shenzhen" (one of the most populous and prosperous cities) are a way apart.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
  13. hughtrimble

Mobster

General boosters are a good call, just for general life reasons, if you've not had them done. They'll be free.

14. Craig321

Capodecina

Ah yes, that's the one. It was 1 shot, then something like 2 weeks and another, plus they recommend doing it x months before you go.

If you do Hep B & Typhoid I think it is together, then it's free. There's a combo where it's free, but separately you pay (ask your gp).

15. Ahleckz

Capodecina

I spent a month in China, and didn't even consider any immunisations. It's a major country, just follow normal advise and don't play with wild animals.
    As for travel insurance, just jump onto the comparison websites and put your details in. Select one that gives you cover you're happy with. The major one is medical evacuation which can quickly run into hundreds of thousands upwards.

16. Hayley-K

Hitman

I had all the free ones so...

Hep A, Hep B and Typhoid.

As for travel insurance I found Sainsbury's to be really comprehensive and competitively priced.

17. g0th2000

Gangster

Unless you can get immunized against bad driving, I wouldn't worry too much about Shenzhen :p

I have been many times over the past decade, it'll be a bit of culture shock compared to Europe :)

Tips:
    1. Only use real taxis, ignore the randoms offering a lift in the back of their car.
    2. Don't drink the tap water, avoid salads etc.
    3. Don't eat anything you wouldn't eat at home.
    4. If you do need to claim on that medical insurance and you are able, get to Hong Kong first ;)
    5. Don't get too ****ed.

18. Nix

Capodecina

Just take some antibac gel and get your Hep A+B done. You'll be fine.

19. Delvis

Caporegime

And I hope you're used to people spitting everywhere

20. Craig321

Capodecina

And snorting. And leaving poo all over bathrooms. And speaking really loud.